US Direct Question

kellywhitehills

Since you have actually used this service, can you tell us about what time you left the ship and what time you arrived at the airport? It sounds like a great program but I don't want to have to wait at the airport for hours and would like to make my air bookings before long. thanks......

Actually, US Direct program is for arrival to the ship and it worked really good for us last summer. I was uneasy not seeing our bags until after the ship (Serenade) left the port. When we returned to Vancouver BC, we left the ship around 9:30 am and arrived at the airport, retrieved our luggage, stood in the long lines, and still had plenty of time for our 1:30 pm flight.

Frank

They may call it US Direct in "reverse" but at YVR we still had to go through rows and rows of luggage to find our bags, and drag them through the lines to the flight check in (where they weighed & tagged your luggage) then drag them to another area to be placed on the conveyor THEN we got to go through security. So I guess what it means is that you get to skip customs. But the lines were still incredibly long and slow, which is to be expected with cruise ships.

What we'd read about USDirect was that your luggage was taken from your cabin the night before disembarkation and you didn't see it again til you got to your final destination in the USA. Now, it sounds like the normal cluster *#&@ which is such a terrible way to end a vacation! Oh well.....it sounded too good to be true. And to pay extra for this 'service' is really vexing.

Archived