noordam?

llt

I can't compare it to Princess as I've never sailed that line, but I can tell you a little something about the Noordam. She's beautiful!

Frankly, I think the Vista class ships are too large, so they're not my first choice, but this is a very pretty ship. She's well-organized, has the lovely HAL touches like fresh flowers and artwork, has a great deal of open deck space.

The service is good and the food is good enough that I've never missed a meal. ;) I like the variety of food in the Lido for breakfast and lunch.

As a matter of fact, even though the Noordam isn't my first choice, I'll be booking another cruise on her in a few days! :D

I'm sailing on her in 14 days, and everything Ruth has said is true. She's a great ship. You can't go wrong!

we sailed with you last year and enjoyed being seated next to you at dinner...we appreciated all your tips and advice...especially joining cc...finding it fun and learnin a lot...know you the wine/corking fee situation solved...can you advise what you do to avoid the fee...we are sailing again the end of feb....mary,charlie

Mary and Charlie,

How great to see you here. We remember you well, enjoyed having you at the next table, and wondered if we'd see you on board again. Obviously, you liked the Noordam as much as we did.

I wish I could answer your question, but don't have any idea. As some people have stated, sometimes they forget to charge it, but I wouldn't count on it. Enjoy your cruise. :D

RuthC.

Just curious. What is your first choice?

Overall preference is the S-class ships, without a doubt. I love the small size that makes it so quick and easy to get around, and to meet up with the same people over and over again. I prefer the S-class to the similar R-class because there's a Piano Bar instead of a Piano Lounge---very different atmosphere. One that HAL returned to with the Vistas.

I'd also like to try the Prinsendam (another small ship) again on a slightly warmer itinerary. Crossing that open Lido Deck, or waiting there for a burger in the cold rain of the far north latitudes may not have given me it's best impression. ;)

we just book noordam for 2/12/09,will be our frist time on holland america line, have only cruised princess.[love princess] what is the noordam like,compared to princess?

Here's a link on CC that has some information & pictures of the Noordam:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=646073

We're sailing Noordam Christmas '08; really enjoy HAL. Cannot give you comparisons to Princess as i've only sailed X and HAL.

we just book noordam for 2/12/09,will be our frist time on holland america line, have only cruised princess.[love princess] what is the noordam like,compared to princess?

As an Elite Captains Circle member on Princess, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed with the Noordam.

Unlike some of the other posters on this thread, I find the Noordam to be a bit small for me, as I love the bigger ships with all the different options they have to offer. But she is still a very beautiful and classy vessel.

I think Princess offers better entertainment and more options than HAL.

HAL's accomodations are better. If the superior verandah suite on the Noordam is HAL's version of Princess minisuite, there is NO comparison between the two. Everything from the size of both the cabin and the verandah to the amenties is so far superior on the Noordam.

Princess's dining room menus offer more choices, especially if you like fish and the Italian flair, but the quality and prep on the Noordam is better for what they offer. HAL's Lido buffets for both breakfast and lunch beat out Princess' Horizon Court everytime, in both quality and variety.

While I love the Italian warmth and hospitality of Princess, it doesn't hold a candle to the efficiency and friendliness of the chiefly Indonesian & Phillipino crew on the Noordam. For me, that is what truly sets HAL apart from any other cruise line I've traveled on.

Booklady, I know you signed on to our roll call months ago, but haven't seen you around since then. Are you coming to the Meet and Greet? Hope we get a chance to meet.

Mama - I plan on it. I believe it's 10:30 AM Thurdsay in the Crows Nest?

We are in the same boat and on the same boat:) . Just off the Emerald for NYE cruise and it was excellent we were not even looking at HAL as we were going to just book another Princess cruise but they did not have anything that worked for us date wise so it came down to Hal or X had a 10 day cruise on the 13th of Feb. We went with Hal and with everything that I have read about HAL VS X on both threads I feel we definitely made the right choice with HAL and the Noordam, not to mention the great itinerary.

We were on the Noordam in May and she is a beauty! We enjoy the Vistas personally and HAL is our preferred mass market line. Wonderfully comfy accomodations, great bathrooms, good food and gracious service.

I have not been on Princess for over 15 years. The big ships are a turn off for me. A nicely stocked library is far more important than a ice rink and we don't go to the production shows or participate in organized activities. And MUTS was so intrusive when I toured the Caribbean Princess:(. We like to enjoy our balcony (HAL has wonderful room service) and use the gym and open decks. A martini in the Pinnacle Bar before dinner is a nice treat.

Of the three Vista ships I have enjoyed so far, Noordam is the most beautiful though the Oosterdam is my favorite. Hope the Westerdam is just as terrific!

The itinerary for my cruise on 12/17/08 is very similar to yours on 2/12/09 only on Day 7, I will be in Martinique, while you will be visiting St. Maarten. You are correct, the itinerary is definitely a major score for HAL!

~ counting the days...

carol..thanks for the reply...will be doing the wine card like last year which worked out really great.......having fun reading all these boards...and learning how to enjoy all the cruise has to offer....great way to spend these cold winter days too....saw also you are looking for good reads...try ken follett,,pillars of the earth or world without end...long books ..but great..enjoy your cruise ...mary

We were on the Noordam in May and she is a beauty! We enjoy the Vistas personally and HAL is our preferred mass market line. Wonderfully comfy accomodations, great bathrooms, good food and gracious service.

I have not been on Princess for over 15 years. The big ships are a turn off for me. A nicely stocked library is far more important than a ice rink and we don't go to the production shows or participate in organized activities. And MUTS was so intrusive when I toured the Caribbean Princess:(. We like to enjoy our balcony (HAL has wonderful room service) and use the gym and open decks. A martini in the Pinnacle Bar before dinner is a nice treat.

Of the three Vista ships I have enjoyed so far, Noordam is the most beautiful though the Oosterdam is my favorite. Hope the Westerdam is just as terrific!

We, too, thoroughly enjoy the library on the Noordam. We were on Princess two years ago and the library paled in comparison. I agree, too, on the MUTS. Intrusive is a great word for it!

Archived