Immunization Shots for Australia and New Zealand

Diva Onboard

We are planning a B2B from the United States to Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific. Does anyone know if there are any required immunization shots?

This is a helpful web site for looking up immunization requirements:

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/oceania.htm

Basically, for Australia and NZ, nothing is required, unless you have come from a country where Yellow Fever is endemic. Tetanus is recommended, and it's not a bad idea to be immunized for Hepatitis A and B if you are going to travel anywhere.

I always like to keep my polio immunization up to date as well - a consequence of being around during a polio epidemic in the 1950s.

A few more immunizations are recommended for the South Pacific - you will find them on the web site above.

Hope this helps.

Celle

We are planning a B2B from the United States to Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific. Does anyone know if there are any required immunization shots?

We did not need for New Zealand. I doubt if necessary in Australia either. These are very modern, and western countries. You should be as safe there as your own home town, if not safer.

Certainly nothing is required for Australia and New Zealand. That said, my travel clinic says that I shouldn't travel as far as my office without hepatitis A, polio, typhoid and tetanus protection (which, in the UK, now inevitably comes with free diphtheria as well). These "big four" immunisations will give you good protection across the bulk of the standard destinations in the world.

It's worth investigating the specific requirements and recommendations for the "South Pacific", though - that may depend on exactly where you're going.

Archived