Will Princess go to Grand Cayman?

KAKcruiser

With the terrible devastation on Grand Cayman, I can't see how Princess will be able to go there. But they insist that no changes have been made to the itinerary. I have been thinking of the Dawn Princess on December 3 in part because I love Grand Cayman. What are the chances it would be rebuilt by then? If not, what other port would Princess substitute?

With the terrible devastation on Grand Cayman, I can't see how Princess will be able to go there. But they insist that no changes have been made to the itinerary.
They haven't got any calls there in the near future, as far as I can see, so there are several weeks yet for everyone to see what's going to happen. As we've seen in the last few weeks, port substitutions can be done at a day or so's notice. I'll bet that they would dearly love to leave the itineraries just as they are until it's obvious that they can't, and so they'll leave the decision until much later and stay flexible.

It makes good sense, too. Imagine all the complaints that there would be from people who've chosen x cruise because it calls at Grand Cayman, if the port is cancelled before it's definitely known that it has to be cancelled, and then the pax find out later that the port was open anyway.

Cruise lines (almost all of them) are widely known for not alerting you of itinerary changes until you are onboard. The alerts right now because of the hurricanes hitting the Caribbean are just normal for this time of year. Usually they don't even bother letting passengers know that a port will be missed, or why, even if they know way ahead of time. It has happened to us many times. We never book a cruise anymore based on a certain port as you never know when they might have to skip it.

I can understand not notifying you about a port change until you're onboard in most cases, but in cases like this with the damage on both Princess Cays and Grand Cayman, I think it's wrong of Princess to not be upfront about saying we will not be going to this port because no one is allowed there right now. I mean, if Grand Cayman comes out and says, ok folks, we will not be accepting cruise ship traffic until December 1, then I think it's wrong or Princess to not inform their passengers on cruises stopping at GC before 12/1 of that...there's the spot on the cruise personalizer for emergency notfications..use it LOL

No official word, but I would be surprised to see a large cruise ship call at Grand Cayman for at least 6 - 8 weeks; probably more.

It is a tragedy what has happened to that island the those people. There efforts need to be directed to restoring their own lives and infrastructure rather than preparing to entertain day visitors, although I know they will need the money that tourism will bring.

roohound... my guess is that Princess, like the other cruiselines, would prefer not to have to change the itinerary unless or until it's absolutely necessary. It's not unusual for a port to be missed or an itinerary changed during a cruise and the captain, and the cruiseline, has the ability to make a change.

Pam, I understand that ports change....I've missed ports several times. And I respect the fact that when I'm onboard and something comes up, they make the decision at an appropriate time.

But if Grand Cayman says point blank...we are not taking any more cruise passengers until Jan 1, 2005....that's pretty cut and dry and I think there's no reason Princess shouldn't say something to their passengers who were planning on calling on GC in the remainder of 2004 It's not like it's a surprise that ships cannot call on GC right now.

Now if it's a case of GC is saying, hmm..ok, we might be back open for business on 10/1/04, but it may not be until 11/1/04, then I can see where Princess would want to stay tight-lipped. Nothing more annoying than having plans continuously change. But if definite dates are given, then I think Princess really should say something.

JMHO

I doubt they will dock in Grand Cayman in the future. I was listening to BBC World and the situation is curious. For now, only Caimanians nationals are allowed in and there's a media black-out about the real extent of the damage after Ivan. Some Caribbean newsboards seems to indicate there is widespread looting, a curfew is in place from 6 am to 6 pm and police have been issued weapons which almost never happens there.

But if Grand Cayman says point blank...we are not taking any more cruise passengers until Jan 1, 2005....that's pretty cut and dry and I think there's no reason Princess shouldn't say something to their passengers who were planning on calling on GC in the remainder of 2004 It's not like it's a surprise that ships cannot call on GC right now.

Now if it's a case of GC is saying, hmm..ok, we might be back open for business on 10/1/04, but it may not be until 11/1/04, then I can see where Princess would want to stay tight-lipped. Nothing more annoying than having plans continuously change. But if definite dates are given, then I think Princess really should say something.

Absolutely, but the Caymans haven't said anything. Neither are they in a position to say anything about it, or even to make the assessment. Nor can this be top of their priority list.

In those circumstances, why have any angst about whether and when the Caymans will be open again? If even the people most affected have to wait and see, shouldn't the cruise line? And shouldn't we?

[Edited to add:]

Have a look at this post, which is apparently from Matteo Uggeri of Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions. You can see how much uncertainty there is over how quickly the place will be open - and it could be sooner than we think.

- United States Department of State

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:23:02 -0400 (EDT)

Travel Warning

United States Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today, Wed Sep 15 14:58:06 2004. Wed Sep

15 14:20:16 2004.

CAYMAN ISLANDS

September 14, 2004

This Travel Warning is being issued to urge U.S. citizens to avoid travel to

the Cayman Islands at this time due to the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan.

This supercedes the Public Announcement dated September 9, 2004.

U.S. citizens in The Cayman Islands are urged to depart as soon as safe

transportation is available. Hurricane Ivan caused significant damage in the

Cayman Islands and flooding is widespread. Telephone service is largely

unavailable. If unable to immediately depart, U.S. citizens are advised to

locate

shelter, monitor media reports, and follow all official instructions. Visitors

to

The Cayman Islands should be familiar with their hotel evacuation plans,

policies, or procedures.

The U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica, which has consular jurisdiction over

the Cayman Islands, has closed for all but emergency American Citizens

Services. A small number of consular officers will be available, but the

ability

to provide assistance is limited.

Americans living or traveling in The Cayman Islands are encouraged to

register with the U.S. Embassy in Kingston through the State Department's

travel

registration website at https://travelregistration.state.gov. Updated

information on travel in The Cayman Islands may be obtained from the Department

of

State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States, or from overseas,

1-317-472-2328. For further information please consult the Consular

Information Sheet for The Cayman Islands available via the Internet at

http://travel.state.gov or contact the U.S. Embassy in Kingston at

876-929-8780 or

876-929-5374. Please also see the current Worldwide Caution Public

Announcement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Globaliser...I'm not saying the Cayman situation isn't serious..I've read several of the storm websites and I have a good idea of what hell they're going through..I'm certainly not making light of the sutuation at all.

And I'm certainly not saying anyone should put pressure on the Caymians to make a decision about when to allow cruise ships back. I'm just saying with the damage as bad as it is, Princess should be saying because of the recent hurricane damage to the Caymans, sailings there are suspended until further notice. Don't understand why that would be a big deal.

My main concern is that the Caymans get up and running for their own well-being...not to coddle cruise ship passengers. Thanks for that link....I hope it is sooner than later for their sake.

And for the record, despite the fact I'm on a sailing that was scheduled to stop there, I don't have any angst about not going.....I'll be on a ship and away from my office.....no angst allowed! LOL :D

With the terrible devastation on Grand Cayman, I can't see how Princess will be able to go there. But they insist that no changes have been made to the itinerary. I have been thinking of the Dawn Princess on December 3 in part because I love Grand Cayman. What are the chances it would be rebuilt by then? If not, what other port would Princess substitute?

I signed on for Dawn 10/04/04 because it did not have two days at sea in a row and it went to Princess Cays which is a great way to start a cruise when you're workaholics. Now we have two days at sea and are not going to Princess Cays and now possibly not Grand Cayman. I have accumulated through Travelocity and Princess credit for Princess Cay $500 onboard credit which I was going to applyto shore excursions in places I may not even go to. Is there a point that Princess will refund your money for another cruise or give you credit to take another cruise? I don't need any more onboard credit and I certainly don't want another day at sea.

I'm just saying with the damage as bad as it is, Princess should be saying because of the recent hurricane damage to the Caymans, sailings there are suspended until further notice. Don't understand why that would be a big deal.
No, I didn't take you as trying to play down the extent of the damage.

The thing is, I don't think that an open-ended statement of "no calls at Cayman until further notice" does anything to allay the uncertainty that anyone feels about this, myself included. (I have a call there in October on day on which we are supposed to be the only ship in port - and I can feel that luxury being put at risk.) If the port might be open again in a matter of 4 to 6 weeks, decisions are going to be taken on a week-by-week basis anyway. So an open-ended statement like that doesn't do anything other than state the obvious.

A fixed date in a statement also has its disadvantages. If for example Princess were to say now that there will be no calls until January, but the port opens again at the end of October, I think that would be unfair on those who've booked for November and December expecting to go to Cayman when it's open. It would also be unfair to the people who've been hardest hit, namely the businesses on Cayman, who would then have two months of no business from Princess pax when there could have been business from them. That would add insult to injury, and I'm sure none of us would want that to happen.

Better that the cruise lines stay flexible, in my view.

I see your point and it makes sense....I think we are both in agreement that the best interest of the Caymian folks should be priority #1.

We also were going to be the only ship in town during our call..hate to see that go, but it's like I said last time we missed GC because of bad weather, just gives us an excuse to book another cruise ;)

Hfeld, I don't think Princess will refund the cruise as a hurricane is out of their hands. It is hurricane season and yeah, while sailing during this time of year, ports-of-call may be cancelled. They will probably replace Grand Cayman with Jamaica and they are already replacing Princess Cays with Nassau.

Melissa is correct...it's in your contract....the lane reserves the right to alter ports at any point. You could cancel, but as I'm assuming you've already put down final payment, you'd lose 50-75% of your $$$$...not worth it in my book, but that's just me

I knew when I booked at this time of year that it was hurricane season and have been through this before but I guess this is just the worst season I remember. It is what it is and I'm sure the cruise will be wonderful whether the ship ever stops at port or not.

WOW folks--what if all of those who are (or were) to call on Grand Cayman ask the line on which we are sailing to please take us there and let each of us accept an assignment to help in the recovery of this lovely place for the period of time for which we were to have been there? I can't imagine anything better than helping our friends in a place we all love to go to recover from such devastation.

When we left at the end of that day, what a feeling we would all have by being there just to help for even just one day. Sharing those experiences whe we were back on board would be incredible. We (those who were able) could accept an assignment given by the ship's staff who would be aware of their needs and focus on that. What a great vacation. No, I do not have a screw loose--I am 65, have sailed to GC many times and will be on the Grand Princess out of Galveston 11/13. We had planned on playing golf there, but in light of the disaster, I would love to turn this into an expedition to help our neighbors to the south.

This will be our first Princess cruise and also our Honeymoon curise. I understand it is not the fault of the cruise line that we will not be able to attend Grand Cayman, but this will be the second port canceled along with 3 ports we will be departing early :(

I guess things happen. It is not like we can change our Honeymoon date and sail later. I do enjoy the days at sea but I would really enjoy doing a dive in Belize instead of GC. Maybe Princess will redirect us to Belize?? That would be a wonderful dream / Honeymoon gift.

Kodiac :)

:( I doubt anyone will be visiting GC for quite awhile. The damage was devastating to the island. There is no water, sanitation, or electricity. My father owns a condo on GC, and was told by those he has been able to talk to that they are only flying in supplies, and that they are sending hotel workers who are form other places home since there is nothing for them to do. Everything is shut down. It will take a long time to repair all the damage...being an island they don't have ready access to supplies, there aren't any other power companies convoying in to help, etc.

Even when things were good, getting work done was always very slow. I can only imagine how much time it will take to get things back. It is very sad.

Tourism is Grand Cayman's primary income. I am confident they are working rapidly to restore services in order to get this island back functioning.

Latest update states damage is less than initially reported with about 2,000 out of the 12,000 power poles that need to be repaired. These are in transit from Belize.

Grand Cayman is speculating cruise ships to start returning late October or early November.

Kodiac :)

Archived