Cruising with parents to Alaska

J&F

Hello everyone! My parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this year and I'd love to take them on an Alaska cruise. Unfortunately, I know little (if anything) about cruises to the region. They are both in their early 70s and while they like to travel, long walks or sitting on a bus for extended periods of time aren't their preference. I'm interested in any suggestions any of you may have on cruise/rail tours that don't require much walking nor extended sitting. I've heard very good things about the Mercury and have sailed on Celebrity before (this past year on Summit through the Panama Canal), so I know their service is excellent. My mother has always wanted to "see the mountains", so I think she'd love a rail excursion. Does anyone have any suggestions on cruise/rail tours that are designed for seniors?

Thanks!

Here's my review from a couple years ago:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=21540

John took his parents for their 50th Anniversary, I took my parents for their 43rd, and It was the 10th for John and I.

Johns parents are in the early 80's, my parents in their mid 60's.......we couldn't keep up with either.

Have a great trip!!!!!

Dave:eek:

We have been to Alaska twice with three 80+ year old relatives. There are things to do in each port that are fun for people of all ages. As has been suggested, try the Alaska boards.

If you take a one way up to Seward (or from Seward) you can take the Alaska railroad up to Denali park and stay there a couple days - great fun! At the park there are bus rides which take you all through the park. (if you do this I recommend booking through an Alaska travel agent - on a three day package we saved over $300 for a party of 3). Also in Skagway there is a very enjoyable train ride as well. Ketchikan has a nice and fairly short 'duck' ride, with those WWI vehicles which go on land and sea. In Juneau you can take a nice tour by bus to the flower gardens (forget the name) and then Mendenhall glacier. Or you can try a whale watching cruise - no reason a 70 year old can't do that.

I would recommend Summit or Infinity over Mercury. Have cruised Mercury lately and it is starting to get really worn.

Archived