Millennium Eastern Carib. Jan 13-20

MtnMarty

Just to add my thoughts to those of normanb.

My wife and I and my 89 year old mother enjoyed the ship and the cruise very much. We too were a bit concerned about the adverse reviews. Yes, there are some worn areas on the ship, especially in the public areas (restrooms,etc.), but really I don't know what the fuss is all about. Service was fine, the food was good (not excellent, but good). Now the Olympic is another matter. We went there to celebrate my Mom's birthday and it was the equal of the very best land based restaurants we've been to. If you are going to be on Millie, then don't miss the Olympic.

We had a concierge cabin 9047 which was very nice. The only complaints were that the window washer thing was parked nearby the whole trip, but I didn't notice it after a while. Also, we love to have room service breakfast on the deck, but the chairs were wet the whole week. We did place towels on the chairs at night and that helped somewhat. The room was absolutely quiet by the way, despite what I have read about sky deck noise from others. I believe a message room from the Acqua Spa is right above. My mother had 9001 which is the very first cabin (ocean view) and it's especially large with a huge round window. She loved it.

Shore excursions:

San Juan--we walked off the ship and hopped on the free shuttle for the 2 forts, then back to the center of the old city. We found a nice Tapas place for some sangria and pizza, then back aboard ship. We had been concerned about my Mom walking around, but she did fine.

Tortola--Wife and I did the kayak/snorkel thing and it was fine. Mom did the historical tour and although she loved the scenery, she would have wanted to get off the bus more.

Casa de Campa--we took the $7 shuttle to Altos and spent around 2 hours walking around there. It's definitely worth it. We even gave a $1 to the guy with the donkey for a picture. Then we went to get in line to shuttle back and perhaps take the $5 shuttle to LaRomana, but the line was long. We ended up taking a taxi with another couple to LaRomana, where he waited for an hour or so and then back to the ship. It cost $25 which we split. In LaRomana there was a nice park with music and dancing and vendors. Quite worth a short visit and very safe.

Labadee-- with priority diembarkation tickets in hand we were on the first tender to the beach. We walked past the first beach to the ocean side which is more natural and had a really nice few hours under a shaded palm tree, watching the zip line folks fly by. (I wish I had done that--looked really fun). My Mom couldn't walk the barbeque, so we took the free gitneys over and had the barbeque, some dancing and a fire eater. It was quite enjoyable and a really nice beach.

Embarkation/Disembarkation

We drove to the port, I dropped the luggage and my wife and Mom off and then parked right across the road. It costs $105 for the week. We were sipping champagne about 30 minutes later and our cabins were ready around 1:00 when we arrived. Disembarkation went smoothly. We were Lt. Blue 1 and were off the ship by 10:30. I picked up the bags, hired a porter to haul them out to the curb and then walked across the street to retrieve the car. No hassle at all. We were at my Mom's apartment in Delray Beach by 11:30.

I would definitely cruise Celebrity again. Our only other experience was on Princess a number of years ago, and this was a bit better. We also really appreciated the Concierge amenities--especially the upgraded towels, gifts, etc. It was not much more than a regular veranda cabin anyway.

If anyone has any questions, fire away.

Marty

Marty, thanks for the review. I was wondering how you got priority tender to Labadee. Was it because you had a CC cabin?

Rollie and Lynn

Yes, as a CC cabin you get priority. Also, my Mom who was not CC got one because I simply asked our attendant for one for her as well. Took her all of 3.5 minutes to bring it the night before ;-)

Archived