London High Tea

blambition

High Tea is a bit like"supper", Afternoon tea is the tea with small sandwiches, cakes, scones etc.. This is a common misconception of us cousins on the other side of the pond. All the large hotels do lovely Afternoon teas. Also try department store tea rooms, Havey Nichols used to do a wonderful one and fairly economical. Enjoy:)

B.

Thank you for the replies. I did not know it was called afternoon tea. I really just want to be able to have tea and scones. I am sure we will not be dressed to go to the Ritz but perhaps one of the department stores will work for us. I would love to find one that does not cost more than $25.00 per person. I do not know if that is asking the impossible in today's London pricing as I am beginning to think everything is going to cost us a small fortune. McDonald's may become my new hangout.

Vicki

Hi!

There are two places I'm aware of in London where you can have a lovely afternoon tea for about $20-$25 and you don't have to dress for the Ritz.

The Bramah Museum of Tea and Coffee, just south of London Bridge, serves tea sandwiches, scones with cream and preserves and tea in a lovely atmosphere. Full tea is a bargain at about $18.

Patisserie Valerie (I think they have six locations in London...Covent Garden, right down the street from Harrods, near Portobello Market and I can't remember the other locations.) Their pastries, or scones are incredible and served with tea for about $25 or less. Although it is a chain, each one is charming and has reasonably priced soup, salads, etc. for lunch as well.

I've also had tea at Fortnum and Mason, spent a "fortune" and have not felt the food or experience was any better than the two other places I've mentioned.

Enjoy London!

murphysmum;)

We like to go into Harrod's to the Circle in the Round restaurant (I think that's the name) and just get tea and scones and a sweet pastry. It's self serve, but serves the purpose of getting my scone and clotted cream.

Only 161 more days until I can have 'proper' clotted cream!!!

Archived