Over door storage bags help ???!!!

slkmcs

Have read that the bathrooms on the ships ( BB catagory ) are small and the over the door storage bags are very useful. Saw a bag on line that looks like a great alternative and was wondering if this would work.

Saw it at :[url="http://www.lillianvernon.com"]lillianvernon.com [/url]
product code: 017523.

If some seasoned Princess cruiser would kindly check this out and let me know if this is something workable it would be greatly appreciated.

Although that one would certainly work it is kind of big and pricy so unless you need 5 ft of extra storage you might look elsewhere. You might try kmart, walmart or target for something smaller and in plastic so that anything wet or damp will not hurt it. I understand some folks have just used a hanging shoe origanizer.

That's pretty fancy, but I think it could work. I like the hamper part. Mine is a really cheap one, all vinyl, with about 15 clear pockets of different sizes. I like the clear pockets, you can see what's in them easily. I take a column of pockets, my husband gets one, and the third column is for community property type stuff (first aid, sun screen, bug repellant, sewing kit, etc). I couldn't tell what the hooks were like on the Lillian Vernon one...we've been on ships where there were hooks on the door, and we simply placed the grommets on our bag on those hooks. Other ships, we've had to put our metal hooks on the bag (came with it) and hook it over the door. Still others, we've had to hang it on a closet door instead of the bathroom door because of stuff on the bathroom door. It just depends...you have to improvise a little. I paid about $6 for ours, and thought I'd use it once and leave it behind. We've used it for 5 cruises now (long cruises, generally, where we really appreciate the extra storage). I like the wipe clean-ability of mine too, because makeup does spill in the pockets sometimes.

I have a bag that when you look at it, looks like a regular toiletry bag (kinda like a medicine bag really)..but it folds out to one of those hanging bags. It's a Samsonite and I paid entirely too much for it but I figured since I'd never seen one before and it was just perfect I should go ahead and buy it.

Of course, within a month I saw one that cost less than half..but it wasn't quite as nice (that's what I tell myself anyway LOL) I like it because you can just pack all your toiletries in it, tote it on the ship, and then hang it in your bathroom.

I also saw a much smaller one at Wal-Mart..made by Samsonite...it hangs but it doesn't hold as much stuff...and I carry a lot of stuff LOL

I am also a fan of the shoe organizer...the pockets are just the right size for brushes, cameras, hairsprays, toy cars (DS), etc. Some folks hang theirs at home and fill the pockets, roll it up and then just unroll and hang once aboard. I pack mine empty and then fill it when I get there. Since we travel three to a cabin I can't imagine going without one. Also it is so handy to hang on the outside of the door so if someone is using the shower or toilet you can still get your makeup or deodorant or whatever. :)

Just go to Wal Mart or Longs and get the clear plastic one, then you can see what is in each pocket. Waaaaay cheaper than the Lillian Vernon one too ;) .

slkmcs - you might go to jcpenney.com and look at their Protocol Travel Organizer. It is currently on sale for $14.99. It would allow you to pack all your stuff and never have to unpack it, just hang up on door.
The hamper bag part of the other can be duplicated by using trash bags stowed on the closet floor or under the beds. The bathrooms are pretty small and I don't think you want to take up that much room as it might get a bit tight.

this is kind of like what I have:

[url]http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?sourceid=AAX::qIqsQUnbcAvbAmqVNDvJ&bfsiteid=40539444&ModelID=9533[/url]

If you travel a lot like I do and one of the less than $5 ones won't hold up to all the wear and tear, it's a real bargain. Plus, I keep it packed all the time in case a "Let's leave now!" situation comes up...I can just grab and go :)

roohound you sound like me, ready to go at the drop of a hat. I keep my travel supplies bagged and ready to go at all times.
Being a 'list kind' of person I've always made lists of what I was going to pack. On that list I keep the date and where the trip is to. When I return I update it by removing the items that were not used or add things I wish I had packed. Now when I get ready to pack I pull out my lists, find the one for a similar itinerary and I'm set to go. And, when I'm shopping sales for future cruise wear ( we always need them don't we :o ) I add the new stuff to the existing lists.

larsen...DH always laughs because he says I pack too much

But when he found out they don't sell pepto bismol on the ship, but I had some, my overpacking became ingenious thinking LOL Also, on the Grand we made friends with this one couple and the wife was saying how she had a sinus headache and how she wished she had sinus meds with her.....and when I told her I had some she was oh so graceful.

My theory.I'd rather have and not need, than not have and need :D

My problem with the over the door shoe hanger is that whatever it is that I bought didn't come with hooks. So I tried to tape it up to the door with duct tape... no good. Since I am traveling alone I am just going to take up ALL the space in the bathroom for just me LOL.

[quote name='roohound']larsen...DH always laughs because he says I pack too much

But when he found out they don't sell pepto bismol on the ship, but I had some, my overpacking became ingenious thinking LOL Also, on the Grand we made friends with this one couple and the wife was saying how she had a sinus headache and how she wished she had sinus meds with her.....and when I told her I had some she was oh so graceful.

My theory.I'd rather have and not need, than not have and need :D[/QUOTE]

My husband has said, many times, that what is needed, especially on long cruises in remote places with lots of sea days, is a message board type thing, somewhere in a public place on the ship, where people could write, "I really need Pepto Bismol, or duct tape, a power cord for a certain videocam, or whatever, with their phone extension, and if someone had it, they could offer it. It happens a lot by word of mouth, but it would be nice if it was more efficient.

Archived