The "How To" of Upgrades

gonetomaui99

We are within 3 weeks of our 5 day cruise and are booked in a cat 11 suite on the Ecstasy. We booked several months ago using our carnival rep. At the time I asked about an upgrade to cat 12 (penthouse) to which she said it was much to early. So now we are ticking down to crunch time and no word about any upgrade possiblity. My question is this: What should my strategy be at this point, and when are most upgrades issued. Besides just calling and requesting, should I be doing a more formal request (whatever that might be)?

Any helpful hints greatly appreciated.

Have you booked a guarantee? If so, room assignments can take up to the day of the cruise. If you booked a room assignment you will have to pay for an upgrade.

Not sure which date you are going...Feb 18 and Feb 23 dates there are no Cat 11's or 12's available.

Have you booked a guarantee? If so, room assignments can take up to the day of the cruise. If you booked a room assignment you will have to pay for an upgrade.

Not sure which date you are going...Feb 18 and Feb 23 dates there are no Cat 11's or 12's available.

Not sure what you mean by guarantee. We requested a balcony and were assigned a cabin within the category. The actual sail date is Feb 9.

At the time of booking, the rep did say that an upgrade was possible--just not at that time. Could be they all say that.

We are within 3 weeks of our 5 day cruise and are booked in a cat 11 suite on the Ecstasy. We booked several months ago using our carnival rep. At the time I asked about an upgrade to cat 12 (penthouse) to which she said it was much to early. So now we are ticking down to crunch time and no word about any upgrade possiblity. My question is this: What should my strategy be at this point, and when are most upgrades issued. Besides just calling and requesting, should I be doing a more formal request (whatever that might be)?

When booking a lower category you shouldn't do so expecting to get a free upgrade. While it does happen, it's not the norm. My PVP always tells me to book the lowest category that I will be happy with so that I'm not dissapointed later on. If I get the free upgrade GREAT! If not, I'm still happy with what I selected.

With the penthouse (category 12) suites, I would definitely not hold my breath for a free upgrade. They will sell them to someone willing to pay full price before they give them to someone who paid less.

My PVP always tells me to book the lowest category that I will be happy with so that I'm not dissapointed later on.

Oh I agree. Never buy unhappiness, but if you can multiply your joy--go for it.

That said, is there anything I might do to "multiply my happiness?"

Not sure what you mean by guarantee. We requested a balcony and were assigned a cabin within the category. The actual sail date is Feb 9.

At the time of booking, the rep did say that an upgrade was possible--just not at that time. Could be they all say that.

If you requested a balcony and got a cat 11 suite assigned later after your booking, then you had a guarantee. Sounds to me like you got a sweet/suite upgrade already.

Nothing you can really do except ask onboard if the cat 12 suites are empty. If they are booked you are out of luck.

If you really want a cat 12 suite, as they say, book it in the first place. You cant assume you will get a free upgrade. Have you asked your booking agent if the cat 12 is booked? then you would know for sure it aint possible.

If you requested a balcony and got a cat 11 suite assigned later after your booking, then you had a guarantee. Sounds to me like you got a sweet/suite upgrade already.

Nothing you can really do except ask onboard if the cat 12 suites are empty. If they are booked you are out of luck.

If you really want a cat 12 suite, as they say, book it in the first place. You cant assume you will get a free upgrade. Have you asked your booking agent if the cat 12 is booked? then you would know for sure it aint possible.

Actually all balconies on the Ecstasy are suites, so no upgrade yet.

There is only one strategy to get an upgrade. Pay more money to get what you want. Upgrades [free] by the cruiseline come from the sales dept. They upgrade people to make cheaper cabins available for sale so they can fill the ship. If sales are brisk, there will be few if any upgrades. If the ship is not selling well, many will get upgrades. There is no other reason for upgrades.

So if you want to be upgraded, book a sailing that won't sell well. You figure it out.:D

Dan

Actually all balconies on the Ecstasy are suites, so no upgrade yet.

Picky picky picky. Wouldnt you have to pay for a suite guarantee to get a suite on the Ecstasy, there is no such thing as a balcony guarantee on that ship....I was glossing over that item.

lol :P

Archived