In Memoriam: Marian Davies

Seabourn-nail

Dear Seabourn friends,

Just before I went shopping in my home town, I sent out an ecard to let my friends know about my good test results. I also sent one to Marian Davies, guest lecturer, often spoken about on this web site. We got to know each other a little better, always shared a drink, lunch and dinner while we sailed together on Seabourn. We also corresponded. And had long talks.I remember very well, how she showed some outfits from the boutique on one of my last cruises. I also remember she told me how she hoped she would be able to introduce her Mike to René and me and how nice it would be to have dinner together the four of us once. What she didn't tell me was, that she was and had been ill for many years already. And now, returned from my walk I received an email from Mike, that Marian passed away yesterday morning. I feel a huge sadness, not only because she is no longer with us and we won't be able to enjoy her lectures and company, but also because I didn't know about her illness and apart from my friendship and kindness I have not been able to support her in her battle. But of course I have to respect her choice of keeping this to herself. So unlike me as most of you know.

I hope she will rest in peace and I wish Mike, family and friends a lot of strength for the time to come.

I will quote a few lines from Mike's email to me.

Dear Marja

There is no easy way to tell you.

My beloved Marian passed away early on the morning of 24 January 2007.

In March 2002 she was diagnosed with, and commenced treatment and

therapy for, advanced breast cancer. She decided not to tell anyone.

Unfortunately the therapy regime was overtaken by this dreadful disease

in mid 2007 which progressed to a number of very serious medical

problems culminating in her having to be admitted to hospital at the end

of October. We had short intervals were I could care for her at home.

Unfortunately every time her medical team found a suitable recovery

regime she had a further set back. We thought we had eventually found a

way back but it was not to be.

Marian also wanted all her friends at an appropriate time to raise a

glass of good wine and wish her "Bon Voyage".

Love

Mike

"BON VOYAGE MARIAN"

Marja

Dear Seabourn friends,

Just before I went shopping in my home town, I sent out an ecard to let my friends know about my good test results. I also sent one to Marian Davies, guest lecturer, often spoken about on this web site. We got to know each other a little better, always shared a drink, lunch and dinner while we sailed together on Seabourn. We also corresponded. And had long talks.I remember very well, how she showed some outfits from the boutique on one of my last cruises. I also remember she told me how she hoped she would be able to introduce her Mike to René and me and how nice it would be to have dinner together the four of us once. What she didn't tell me was, that she was and had been ill for many years already. And now, returned from my walk I received an email from Mike, that Marian passed away yesterday morning. I feel a huge sadness, not only because she is no longer with us and we won't be able to enjoy her lectures and company, but also because I didn't know about her illness and apart from my friendship and kindness I have not been able to support her in her battle. But of course I have to respect her choice of keeping this to herself. So unlike me as most of you know.

I hope she will rest in peace and I wish Mike, family and friends a lot of strength for the time to come.

I will quote a few lines from Mike's email to me.

Dear Marja

There is no easy way to tell you.

My beloved Marian passed away early on the morning of 24 January 2007.

In March 2002 she was diagnosed with, and commenced treatment and

therapy for, advanced breast cancer. She decided not to tell anyone.

Unfortunately the therapy regime was overtaken by this dreadful disease

in mid 2007 which progressed to a number of very serious medical

problems culminating in her having to be admitted to hospital at the end

of October. We had short intervals were I could care for her at home.

Unfortunately every time her medical team found a suitable recovery

regime she had a further set back. We thought we had eventually found a

way back but it was not to be.

Marian also wanted all her friends at an appropriate time to raise a

glass of good wine and wish her "Bon Voyage".

Love

Mike

"BON VOYAGE MARIAN"

Marja

A wonderful lady with whom we sailed last July/August. Such a charming person to talk to and with Mike to share a dinner table. I feel so sad, her lectures were great and her company so pleasant. Being from Wales we had plenty to talk about. God bless her.

I cannot think of a time here on CC that I have had to stop typing to wipe tears. I thank you for sharing this news, as unhappy as it is. I had the good fortune to meet Mike last year and the tinkling merriment in Marion's laugh will always be so special~

Oh, how sad!!! Our fabulous transAtlantic voyage last March (Pride) was made even more so by Marian's sparkling presence and delightful presentations. She was a classy, classy lady and my spouse and I send our condolences to her husband.

Thank you Marja for posting.

We've sailed with Marian 3 times, twice on the Pride and once on QE-2, about 6 years ago. We became quite friendly on our two Pride cruises, actually trivia mates both times, once with Jane Pond, and the last time with Paul.

We'll miss not being together again.

Fran and Anthony.

I too was deeply saddened by this news. I have sailed twice with Marian before and was looking forward to the third time on the Legend Nov. crossing. She emailed me right before she was supposed to leave and told me she would not be aboard as she was ill.

Marian was a delightful lady, always smiling, great sense of humor, and fun to be around at her hosted table for dinner, chats in The Club, Trivia team member, and of course her interesting lectures.

My condolences to her family and friends. Marian, may God bless you and keep you. The show will go on, but it won't be he same without you.

Archived