If You Only Have 1 Day in NOLA

JerseyMom

We will be in New Orleans for one full day prior to our cruise. What would you recommend doing? I will be there with my 12 yo DS and DH who doesn't drink so bar hopping is out. I am considering the following: Swamp Tour, Haunted History Tour, Aquarium, Zoo. Obviously we can't do all of this in one day so I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks!

We will be in New Orleans for one full day prior to our cruise. What would you recommend doing? I will be there with my 12 yo DS and DH who doesn't drink so bar hopping is out. I am considering the following: Swamp Tour, Haunted History Tour, Aquarium, Zoo. Obviously we can't do all of this in one day so I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks!

It would depend on what you like and what time of year it is. This time of year isn't the best time to do a swamp tour - spring and fall is best for that. If you're an animal person and like zoos, the one in New Orleans is a good one - lots of room. I prefer the aquarium, but for me I can see that stuff other places, so try to see stuff I can only see in New Orleans. If you're interested in ghosts, etc. Haunted History is the way to go (and they are at night, so you can do something else during the day) - otherwise I would just take a French Quarter walking tour. Those are usually 2 hour tours in the French Quarter - history, culture and archatecture. If you're interested in Mardi Gras, I'd either do the Mardi Gras museum at the Presbytere or Mardi Gras World (where they make the floats). I'd take the ferry across the river - because it's there, free and relaxing. If you're interested in history there's the museum at the Cabildo (Louisiana history) and the WWII museum (WWII history) Definitely beignets at Cafe du Monde - they're open 24/7 so you can do that anytime. If you're interested in the cemeteries I'd include one of those tours. If you want something interesting and educational I'd include the IMAX show Hurricane on the Bayou. Now you can't do all that in one day, but I would choose one or two things.

So, for example, I'm interested in learning about the place and the people - so I'd go for the walking tour of the French Quarter in the morning - getting there in time to have a beignet and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde before doing the tour. Stop for lunch somewhere in the Quarter. Then since I would want to learn about Mardi Gras I'd take the riverside trolly to Canal street to catch the ferry across the river and see Mardi Gras world. I'd probably return to the Quarter for some shopping (gotta get some souveiners) and dinner, them maybe a Haunted History tour (since I do like the ghost tours).

mariemorgan - Cafe du Monde is definitely on my list! Thanks for the input on the Zoo & Aquarium.

map70065 - Our one day will specifically be March 22 - after Mardi Gras and before Easter. How would a swamp tour be at that time of year? Assuming it's not pouring rain, I'm thinking that would appeal to DS - he is very interested in nature. Otherwise, the Zoo and/or aquarium I think would be a good choice. Personally, I would love to do the Plantation Tour but I think my guys would be bored silly.

Still pretty early in the season, but late enough that you might get to see some good wildlife. Another week or two and I'd say definitely. I'd probably still go for it. The swamp is a beautiful place year around, but you just don't see the wildlife that most people want to see during the winter months.

One day, that´s pretty hard. Start with a breakfast at Café du Monde, make a walking tour (on your own or guided) through the French Quarter. Walk down to the river and take a cruise on the Steamboat Natchez (http://www.steamboatnatchez.com) and have some typical New Orleans food aboard (lunch cruise), walk on to the Aquarium (http://www.auduboninstitute.org/ I´d do that because the zoo it´ll take you some time to get to the zoo as it´s not close to the French Quarter). If you still have time, take the Canal Street ferry over to Algiers (close to the Aquarium, and free for pedestrians). It´s a very different view of the river. And if you still have time then take the shuttle from Algiers to Mardi Gras World (http://www.mardigrasworld.com/) for a tour.

steamboats

map70065 - guess I'll just have to wait until that week to see what the weather holds and then make a decision on whether or not to do the Swamp Tour.

steamboats - sounds like a good plan. We were thinking, however, about maybe doing the Natchez for dinner. If the swamp tour doesn't work out, however, I think that's what we'll do for lunch.

The dinner cruise is one thing I don't usually recommend. A cruise on the river is OK, if you like cruisin' on the river - not a whole lot to see, so it's not my cup-o-tea. But the dinner on the dinner cruise leaves LOTS to be desired. There are so many good places to eat in New Orleans I'd hate to waste a meal on a nondescript buffet.

Archived