Hola from Camp Seabourn Pride in SA

JaneBP

OOOOH, apparently we are off to rescue a ship in distress, asked to stay inside. Boats may be launched. It's 1600 here, 1400 EST. I may volunteer if they need help with first aid. I can give out hot towels and champagne with the best of them.

Film at 11.

Greetings Punta Arenas, Chile, the southernmost city in the world. I am warm, because I am inside. The weather is blowing, rainy, and cold. I did not bring the right clothing for a trek, however short, to see the Magellan Penguin colony. People came back a bit sodden and blown, but they loved the excursion. It was not high on my list, since the walk to get to the penguins was about 3/4 hour. I can watch 'Happy Feet' in exchange. There is also a HUGE Princess ship in port and the thought of those thousands on the narrow walkway is more than I can bear. I was going to the town to shop, but I don't need anything that much and apparently the sweater shop is all out of alpaca sweaters.

There will not be a SuperBowl party tomorrow night. Apparently ESPN doesn't have the rights this year. I told Tony he needed more than 'Naked Tango' to show because there is a lot of testosterone floating around. Perhaps Arnold or Bruce? Apparently he has the port agent in Ushauia taping it, albeit in Spanish.

The rescue yesterday afternoon was to the aid of a 4 man fishing vessel that had lost power. Two men were brought here on board and there was a rescue ship on the way to tow it to safety. We wondered if they had brought on their 'elegant casual' wear for dinner.

TTFN, happy campers!

Well, it's been a bit bouncy, but not much to write home about. Yesterday we tried to round Cape Horn, but it was too wet and wild with gale winds and very high seas. We retreated. Today we're docked in Ushuaia, the most southern town in the world. I am off to BA soon, that will be divine. It's quite cold here, hot in BA. Shopping and steak, what could be better?

Might not get to write til later. TTFN

Hugs

Jane,

Have enjoyed reading of your "Perils of the Pride!"Also learned in Ft Laud upon our arrival Miss A. finally received her piece of luggage that had been misplaced (no, it was not Seabourn Valet Service) Oscar, pianist, joined us for a few days and sat with us at the Chief Eng.'s hosted table ~~I ask him about Queenie A. ~~~glad she's doing well! Please tell her "I'm alive and kickin'!":D

I took my Grandmother Mattie's Teatime Pound Cake recipe to Cheffy Adam ~~'lo and behold it appeared one afternoon on the teatime buffet ! Brought tears to my eyes!

Continue to have a most wonderful time aboard the beautiful Pride

Castle ~~~please tell all I send big Texas hug's to the South ~:p

Amigos Para Siempre

Martita B.

It's Wednesday and I am ensconced in the luxury hotel in BA, Alvear Palace. It's divine. I flew out on Monday, a bit cramped, to BA from Ushuaia. All arrangements are terrific. Yesterday I had a lovely city tour, today I have a car and multilingual driver for shopping. Last night went to a much touted beef restaurant, had an obscenely huge fillet, which I couldn't finish. They did have great empanadas, but the beef was nothing special. Tonight's the tango show and tomorrow I go to the 'estancia' aka ranch for an overnigh. MIght play polo, who knows??

Cheers for Trivia, and Ian the bartender left in Ushuaia to go home for his brother, Simon's wedding. Time to scoot, more later.

Well, I am back home at Camp Pride, and it's been a wonderful fiield trip for me. It's not that I missed the 4 'bouncy' (my words, others used 'really rocky and wet and cold'), but now I have a good sense of BA and a bit of the pampas. I loved it!!!!

As I said, the hotel was lovely. My 2nd fav after 'The Stafford' <G>. The second day in BA I had a car and driver booked via the concierge and we went touring and shopping. Remember the scene in 'Pretty Woman' where Julia Roberts has all the shopping bags and is walking in the hotel with the bellman following? That was me, not looking like JR, but with too many bags to carry. Also, I have noticed that many of the shops have divine shopping bags as well; great advertising. I got a lot of things for friends and family alike. I was exhausted, shopping and touring are so tiring! I kept thinking of bells and whistles going off each time my Amex card was swiped.

On Thursday I went out to the 'estancia' with Eddie Macrae, my private 'Seabourn' guide. It's about 90 minutes outside of BA. Not large, but focused on polo, as the owner plays and runs the business. It was superb!

Check out the website and include it in your next trip: http://www.estanciaelrocio.com.

I got there before lunch, just missing the empanada cooking lesson, but in time to sample them. There were 7 of us, 2 Irish women headed to Antartica, 2 English women headed for the Falls and then to Ushuaia, and a Dutch couple who had closed up their home and were to be away for 6 months. I asked to read her blog, but it's in Dutch! We were like-minded and had a great time. There was not time for me to schedule any other activities and I was content to watch the wind blowing across the plains and then have lunch, and then tea, and then dinner. I had to leave after breakfasts, but it was raining and that too was delightful. To say nothing of those handsome gauchos in their berets, silvered belts and great boots..... The car could not reach me on the unpaved road, so the owner, Patrice Graviere took me in the truck to meet it on the highway. I shall recommend two days, at the end of the BA trip, so as to have time for the other activities, such as a visit to artisans in the local area or time for the pool.

Thank heavens it was cooler in BA and a bit overcast. I was to return to the ship on Saturday, which made no sense, so I booked Saturday night at the hotel and came back today after time to check out the flea market in San Telmo. So, Saturday I shopped more! And dined out and watched people...met up with another couple from the Pride who went on their own journey for the sea days.

I was 'almost' thinking I could just stay in BA and not miss the ship until a lovely note and champers arrived from Willem and then later on, during the turn-down service, a towel bunny and mints and notes from Oliver and my stewardess arrived. Now, I ask you, who can resist all that? Certainly not I!!!

Captain Anderssen is onboard, and soon the lifeboat drill will start. Apparently there are about 100 'newbie' campers and I have to watch for Susan and Gerry. Dinner tonight in '2' and then perhaps a long sleep. Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett, with more touring and shopping in Montevideo.

How lucky can a girl get?

Hello Jane

Thank you so much for posting your travel log!

Happy you're having a grand time!

How's Granny? She hasn't posted in awhile so perhaps she had to walk the plank or is in the brig ~~~!~~now that her buddy Captain Veggie-mite has gone home to New Zealand.

Will you do me a big favor and ask just who our Cruise Director will be on the March 17th Pride Crossing? I know it won't be Jan, Eric, or Marla ~~~thanks!

Oh and I'm assuming Miss A. is keeping her low profile up in the Constellation Lounge ~~(seated on her throne-he he) Tell her "Howdy" from me ~~I e-mail her often as I know she enjoys mail.

Continue to have a fantastic voyage!

Smooth seas and blue skies:p

Martita B.

Today was bouncy; lots of shots and Sturgeron floating about. Many had the collywobbles. Thankfully, Granny and John decided not to play Trivia, and the 'Village Idiots'3' went down in flames again. Two days this time.

We were to stop tomorrow in Itajai and have the Seabourn experience at a German village. That has been cancelled. So, it's two sea days in a row, then two stops on Friday; Angra dos Reis and then in the afternoon, a beach/marina day at IIha Grande, weather permitting. There will be a deck barbecue and the 'Rock the Boat' Event if possible. This afternoon it was calmer.

I had a car and driver and guide for Montevideo; and interesting city with a bit of fraying about the edges. I finally gave up after 3 hours, and headed back 'home'. I never saw so many monuments.

I had lunch today with Carol Frey to share my experiences of the fabulous overland trip I took, with a few suggestions. Markus made us a special Swiss meal, with a Gruyere cheese souffle, Wiener schnitzel and kartoffles and then a chocolate mousse for dessert. I am having lunch with John and Grannie tomorrow.

Other CC news, SusanTravels and Gerry are on and taking the tango lessons, and Mrs MargateCruiser won the Swarosvsky (or however it's spelled) raffle and won a lovely heart pendant. Westmount is getting tanner by the day and seems to be saving Martita's bar seat for her.

Not much else from Camp, I am starting to think about packing. Not a good sign.

Jane

Thanks for the update!

Please tell Carol Frey (from Austin) I send her a Valentine ! I've not sailed with her in awhile.

Did you inquire as to "whom the Cruise Director might be on the March Pride Crossing?" Nobody seems to know.:confused:

Looking forward to seeing Cheffy Markus in Ft Lauderdale ~~~I have him a 'lit sumpin' green to wear on March 17th!

Happy you've had a grand voyage ~~~

Safe flights home ~~~:p

MB

Yes, Tony and Christine will be the CD and assistant CD ably accompanied by Matthew Brown, with whom they worked on the Spirit. He lives in Puerto Vallarta, apparently.

Lovely sea day today.Tomorrow, sun and fun and water sports and the Deck BBQ.

Thanks for the Pride Crossing Cruise Director/Assn. CD information. I don't know Tony and Christine ~~somehow have missed sailing with them. I'll try to get word to them to bring a'long a few PLAID clothing items if they would enjoy joining us in the March Crossing merrymaking.:)

Helga is no longer with Seabourn. I believe she departed the Spirit last July.

Happy weekend!:p

Martita B.

I am still in Rio, heading home tonight; first to Sao Paulo and then to MIami and Philly. Actually, I cannot wait! Am biding my time here on internet cheaper than Seabourn. I can say, however, that I will never return to Brazil. I am at the Caesar Park in Ipanema, and it~s definitely not 5 stars. My TA picked it, but there are other Seabourn cruisers here. I too found Rio disgustingly dirty and the amount of graffiti boggles my mind. (BTW, the Portuguese keyboard is confuing, apropos of punctuation. Can~t seem to find the apostrophe.

Granny has filled you in with the details of our last few days. Perhaps the Brazilians do act if it~s retribution. So be it. I thought it was a few minor officials who decided to impress themselves. But then, one of the tenders was accosted by a police boat to tell the men to wear life jackets! The tednders followed us to the afternoon island where water sports awaitied.

I must admit that as soon as a few are gathered for a ~wait~a la the immigration (and they were hours late arriving, too) then Seabourn brings out the Mimosas. They also used one of the lifeboats to add capacity to the two tenders to get those ashore who wanted to be. Most said it was nothing special, however.

Interestingly enough, I was not in a mood to chain myself to the railing yesterday. I was ready to leave. But that being said, it was a lovely time, and the best part, however, was my week in BA and the estancia.

Martitia, Tony ad Christine are already on board, so may have to create something special. The Rock the Boat show was lots of fun this year, some new energy. Now, if they can replace the dated band which sounds as if they are just going through the motions.]

The Samba performace was quite a sight, very scantily clad women, rather looking like Rue Paul. Everything had lots of enthusiasm, especially after the campers joined in the dancing and conga line; or is it samba line? I had a great private tour of Rio, wonderful guide. I do think it~s the way to go.

Apparently Carol Frey has some good private tour prices for Leningrad, as well. I have been scoping out that cruise <G>.

Time for lunch and avoiding the Stern and AmsterdamSauer salesmen. Hey, I ran an ER and can evade with the best of them!

More later.

Finally, home after 24 hours. Just before I left the hotel, it started pouring. Traffic was horrid, especially through some tunnels. I tried not to fret, and even though the driver went to the wrong terminal, I was well cared for. I didn't think I would make the Miami flight, but with the help of a wonderful man with lots of energy (TAM employed) I made it to AA and the plane. It was a 777 and the Business Class was even better than LAN. Quite a surprise, and it wasn't filled up, either. No one in the next seat makes it a real nice time. But I have to re-think these long treks to the ship.

Since my luggage will be sent home from Barbados, it again will go to more places than I have been. And I am still a bit 'rocky' from the ship's motion, but nothing like other times.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when leaving the Pride, Security collected my photo ID. That's new to me and now I shall never remember my cruises. Perhaps they felt my photo should be out of circulation?

Jane

When disembarking the Pride last Oct. Security was taking our photo ID cards as well ~~disembarking the Legend on Jan. 30th in Ft Lauderdale no mention of leaving the photo ID cards upon disembarking.

Happy you arrived home safely.:p

Martita B.

Archived