Barcelona Hotels - Recommendations (merged)

We loved the Le Meredien. One block from La Ramblas. Must do Antonio Gaudi Cathedral. We actually hired a driver to take us to all of the Gaudi sites - we loved them.. They eat really late, some restaurants do not open until 9 or 10. We ate at small tapas bars. You get appetizer portions and they are inexpensive. Walk La Ramblas - safe but do be aware of pick pockets. Baracelona is our favorite city in that part of the world.

I checked Hotel Club internet site and they had rooms for your dates at $90 US.

have booked a room for 2 nights pre-cruise at both auto hoger and hotel marvi-both 2 stars-we don' need luxury...auto hagor is much bigger and seems pretty far from the center of the city-but within walking distance-areas may be "seedy"...marvi is more$ but near everything-the booking prices were 198$ for 2 nights and 224$-very reasonable from what I am reading.

Any thoughts or stays at these places? More suggestions? Really want to be able to walk safely in the area...Thanks!

It looks just like in its web pictures.

http://www.condesdebarcelona.com/pag/home.php?idioma=en

Modern bedrooms and nice building in a perfect location.

Thanks! We did check out the website before we booked, but it is nice to know that the pictures don't make it look better than it is! I like the "what you see is what you get" philosophy! :)

just checked on this hotel-knew it was good but the rate was almost 600$ for 2 nights-now I am worried about the 2 star I booked for less than125$ per night-is there that much diff. or did I get a good rate? WOW! good thing we have the Marriott Renni...after(with points(O:)

• 2 weeks later...
We stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer last November. It is next door to the Regina. Both hotels are managed by the same company. The Regina looked very nice. It has a Starbucks on one side. The hotels are in a great location. There is a wonderful Cortes Ingles just a few minutes away. The Cortes Ingles has a great selection of clothing and good discounted items. On the bottom floor they have a pharmacy with shampoo, etc in case you forgot anything or didn't want to bring it along. I only travel with carryon so I was glad to purchase some tollietries in Barcelona before the cruise. We ate at a restaurant called ME which I highly recommend. Also went to Comerc 24 and Bar Mut. All were great. Make sure you go to Casa Batlo. Some people skip it and only see Casa Mila (La Pedera). I preferred Batlo. Sagrada Familia is fantastic. Went to the Musica de Palau. Interesting tour and great guide but not a must see. Great shopping in El Born. Have a great trip!

Thanks for your reply!

Myself and the wife are looking at staying at the Gran Hotel la Florida in September following our cruise with NCL. I understand it is out of the city but not truly looking at staying downtown amidst the crowds. Any opinions or comments on the hotel?

Cheers,

YY

p.s. Is it far from the Airport? Or any further then any of the city center hotels.

p.p.s - Second choice is Hotel 1898 - in downtown

Hi, we will be in Barcelona for a few days before cruise. Is it fairly safe

to leave passports, money, credit cards in hotel safe while sight-seeing.

With all of the threads about pickpockets, don't want to carry much.

We will be staying in Apsis Atrium. Thanks

Another vote for the Pulitzer. Stayed there one night post-cruise. Excellent location ("top left" of Las Ramblas), terrific staff, and reasonable price (just under 200 Euros per nite).

I have booked the Pulitzer. Thank you for all your comments about this hotel. I'm sure we will have a nice stay. I have booked this hotel at http://www.hotels-n-europe.com/cruiseporthotels.html

We can't wait for going on our cruise.

We left our valuables in their safe last year and the year before and were very comfortable. Our experience has been a good one and we are returning to the hotel again this year. Hope that this helps:) !

Hi,

I have stayed twice at the Atrium Palace, last time a few weeks ago. I have always left all my valuables in the safe deposit box. Believe me, they'll be much safer there that if you are carrying them through town!

Editing to add: I suggest you don't use a purse while in Barcelona. Try to find pants with zippers and/or butoned pockets . Just put the minimum you need in them.

Hi, thanks for the responses. Just for verification, I hope you are talking

about the individual room safe and not the main lobby safe deposit boxes.

Also, what are you tipping the maids each day in Euros. The tip

suggestions in guide books sound much too low (1/2 Euro). Thanks.

Yes, I'm referring to the safe deposit in the room.

Frankly, I don't tip the maid. The rates include service and taxes. It's a nice thing to do, just not really a custom in Europe. The same goes for restaurants. If you want to give a 5% tip if you got great service, fine, but the locals leave just some coins.

FreewayFortune - We LOVE Hotel 1898. The location is great, right on Las Ramblas (next to the Le Meridien). The rooms are very cool. I took an awesome bath one night, such pampering. The rooftop lounge is very trendy and has a great view. But our favorite was the basement pool/spa. All sorts of "stations" and the architecture made it so unique. I can't even do it justice.

We wanted to stay there again this year, but the price for our only night in Barecelona is higher than we can justify. We have a free room at one of the Hiltons, so free versus $$$$ is tough.

Check out the pictures and reviews on Tripadvisor.com. I haven't looked at the reviews there in a while, but I can't image anything but raves and amazing pictures.

Enjoy!

We're staying at The Hotel 1898. It's supposed to be good location wise. It wasn't too bad price wise either. Can anyone tell me if we made a good choice.

YES, YES, YES! The best hotel on Las Ramblas!! It's the only hotel I'd choose in BCN. Glad you got a good rate. Loved the room, the ambience and the roof-top pool and views. LOVE this hotel!

Has anyone used habitat apartments before in barcelona? we are on a med cruise with rccl nov 15-22 and staying here for 4 nights after.

Hi Tvassas,

Haven't used them yet but we booked another apartment with them for around the same time you are considering. Their e-mail communication was good. I had a question about the auto quote the website gave and the prices quoted in write-up and they corrected the difference.

Does anyone have some ideas on where to stay in Barcelona. We're planning a post trans-atlantic in Barcelona for 3 nights before returning home. We don't want to spend more than the cruise costs, but want a nice, clean hotel in a good location.

We have not been there yet but we are taking Rick Steve's recommendation and booking a room with a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas at the Hotel Continental. There is a sister hotel too: the Hotel Continental Placete (no balconies there but in a quieter area). These rooms are not fancy and have pink wallpaper and plastic drawers and chairs, but they are clean and each features a 24 hour breakfast and snack type buffet with free beer, sodas and water. They book up quickly so act fast!

Archived