Barcelona Hotels - Recommendations (merged)

We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise at the Apsis Splendid in 2006. It was nice, clean, nothing fancy but in a good location, had WiFi and the staff was very helpful (they spoke English too, that helped).

We were within walking distance of Plaza Catalunya, Las Ramblas and the main HoHo bus office(they sell tickets for the bus in the lobby).

Our room wasn't ready when we got there so they locked up our luggage and we went out to explore the city.

We stayed at another hotel 1 night post-cruise and that one was not as nice (don't remember the name sorry), had paper thin walls and the air conditioner had 2 settings freezing cold or off, no in-between.

Go to tripadvisor.com and they have a list of all hotels that people have reviewed. They even list them as reviewers #1, 2, ...35... in each city. We use it everytime we travel anywhere around the world and so far have never (knock on wood) been disappointed...

Wendy:)

We just stayed at the Barcelona Mar Diagnal Hilton after our Mediterranean Cruise on Brilliance of the Seas.

The hotel is beautiful and the people who work there are very nice. The concierge was able to get us a taxi van that was large enough for four people, with all of our luggage from a cruise, to get to the airport.

It is not in the heart of the tourist district, but for 20 euros a person you can buy tickets for a hop on/hop off bus for an entire day that has a stop right near the hotel. This ticket entitles you to use three different bus lines which offer extensive guided tours for all of Barcelona with suggestions on what to do when you want to get off at a particular stop.

• 3 months later...

We're going to be in BCN pre cruise April 27-May lst.

Looking at Continental Palecete which there are many comments, also Soho Hotel which is same owners as Hotel Jazz and also Hotel Ingletarra - All about same price €135 per nite

any comments or imput - thanks

Looking at Continental Palecete which there are many comments, also Soho Hotel which is same owners as Hotel Jazz and also Hotel Ingletarra - All about same price €135 per nite

We will be in BCN next August and have booked at the Hotel Regina for 140E per nite including breakfast for two. Made decision based on info from these boards and Trip Advisor reviews. Sent email for reservations and requested a balcony room on a upper floor; location looks good. Prompt replies to emails.

Kathy:)

We stayed at the Palacete for 4 nights in May. The rooms were fine, but very pink! Staff were very helpful and the place is clean. 24hr buffet is handy; you probably could live off it, but probably won't! There are drinks all included; apart from tea & coffee there is water, sodas, beer and wine. Very handy to grab a couple of bottles of water before going out for the day. There is also free internet access. The taxi rank is outside the door, so no problems getting around and is only about a 5 minute walk to the nearest metro for site seeing and 7-8 minutes to the HOHO bus in Placa de Catalunya. All in all, I would have no problems staying there again. Only minor problem is that the hotel is all on the 1st floor of its building and you have to go up 11 steps to get to the lift, which could be iffy if you have mobility issues.

Simon

PS Almost forgot, there are many questions on here about left luggage when getting off the ship. We had this problem as well as our overnight train did not leave until 9pm. The Palacete let us dump our luggage for the day and use all the facilities for no extra charge.

PPS Ours was the biggest room, No 123, so ask for that if you book.

I didn't find the rates at Pulitzer to be too high but I emailed the hotel directly and got a better deal than what was showing on their online booking engine. Doing this has always saved me $$$$ on hotels in North America so I gave it a go for Pulitzer and wasn't disappointed.

We spent a couple of nights at Pulitzer Hotel in Barcelona on the pre-cruise and we highly recommend it.

It has affordable rates (180 Euro/night) and has a great location.

The Hotel is cleaned and u will have a good time there!!

Lindacruiser64

Thanks -where did you go to eat ? Seems full of choices ?

Did they have any tea/coffee making facilatie sin the rooms ?

Hi!

We'd appreciate any thoughts or experiences with the following hotels in Barcelona. Colon, H10 Montcado, Rivioli Ramblas, Cristal Palace and Catedral Barcelona. We are trying to select a post cruise hotel for May for 3 nights, last year we stayed at the Duc du Bergara, it was nice but we'd like to try a different one in the Las Ramblas area.

Thanks for your help.

Louise

We stayed at the hotel continental too! LOL Simon yes the rooms were very pink! Here is a link to a picture of our room so you can see.

IMG_0699 pictures from travel photos on webshots

IMG_0700 pictures from travel photos on webshots

I think you have to realize that all of these hotels are very old, certainly not a holiday inn express...but I wouldnt have done it any differently. I loved the location, and definitely recommend getting a balcony. There is a grocery store across the street and down about a block, you can buy wine for only 2 euros a bottle, we spent a lot of time out on our balconies. You were right on las ramblas boulevard and it was nice to be able to see everything, plus at night it really was very quiet even though you were on a main street.

It was great because almost everyone staying in the hotel was going on a cruise. They have a nice little area where the food is and you will find yourself talking to everyone about cruising. The beer and water is also free which is great too. The buffett was ok, had all kinds of breads, croissants, rolls, cereals, juice, coffee, hard boiled eggs. Enough to get by.

This hotel was lovely, clean, and offered wonderful coffee service with a full breakfast buffet. The Las Ramblas street and market are just around the corner. We enjoyed tapas at a couple of local spots on Passaig de Gracia on our walking tour of the Gaudi buildings. Get a good map at the front desk and plot out a walk that includes Bari Gothic, the market off Las Ramblas, views of the Gaudi buildings and the cathedral.

Enjoy!

I didn't find the rates at Pulitzer to be too high but I emailed the hotel directly and got a better deal than what was showing on their online booking engine. Doing this has always saved me $$$$ on hotels in North America so I gave it a go for Pulitzer and wasn't disappointed.

I took your advice and after checking the rates on line emailed them directly. Imagine my surprise when the quote came back about 30 E higher per night than what was quoted on the web! Don't know what that's all about--but I am going to try priceline for 5 star hotels and make a low bid and see what happens. . .

Cathy

Cathycruises,

I be interested in what you are given for a 5* hotel if you bid. I originally bid for a 5* hotel but put in a very low rate. I had to go one star down to continue with the bid. I'm happy with the hotel I got - Silken Gran Havana for $145 per night. I have to be careful with my accommodation because we are also going to Madrid for 3 days and also our Australian dollar had a freefall against the the US$ and the exchange rate against the Euro is not too good either.

I took your advice and after checking the rates on line emailed them directly. Imagine my surprise when the quote came back about 30 E higher per night than what was quoted on the web! Don't know what that's all about--but I am going to try priceline for 5 star hotels and make a low bid and see what happens. . .

Cathy

Sorry to hear this route didn't work out for you. In my case, the rate was 30 Euro cheaper for the pre cruise stay and 20 less for the post cruise night. Perhaps it has something to do with the time of year you're booking? I made our reservations about a month ago for our trip which is coming up in two weeks (yay!).

Hope you have better luck with Priceline....let us know how things go.

Haligonian--what cruise are you going on? We leave Nov. 1 on Summit.

I tried priceline--they say the average 5 star is $289, and they talk about "half off" so I started at $125, figuring I'd end up at $150 or $175. The best offer they came back with was $227. Of course I still didn't know what I was going to get; and since many reviews in Trip Advisor said "this is not a 4 star hotel, should be a 2 star" I was worried about going to 4 stars and ending up with something crummy.

In the meantime I had been strongly considering the Hotel Murmuri at $169E, or the Pulitzer whose best offer was $190E; but kept researching and found pretty good prices at easytobook. So considering location, I ended up booking 1898 which TA rates as #3 in BCN and got rave reviews. I think I ended up at about $180E.

Last time we walked all over Barcelona, and my feet were just killing me. So this time I decided that to save my feet for all our upcoming ports, having a hotel right in the center of the action was worth a little more $$$, especially since everyone liked it so well. Then this AM, my BIL emailed out of the blue and highly recommended 1898 for our upcoming trip! That was weird.

Anyway I will post when we return about the hotel and what I think of it after actually staying there. Oh, one other consideration was that I could save a few bucks by taking the Aerobus to Placa Catalunya and just walking to the hotel from there. Several of the others were too far to consider doing that with luggage and we would have had to pay cab fare--this way that money can go toward the room instead!

2 weeks and counting!

Cathy

Does anyone have any information on The Hotel Banys Orientals? We sent them an email a few days ago, and have not heard back yet. We are sailing on The Voyager OTS sept 20 2009, and want to stay in Barcelona one day before and one day after our cruise. A friend of ours stayed there a couple of years ago and liked it. She said it was in walking distance of Las Ramblas, but not as costly as hotels closer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

CathyCruises - I'm on the Century, 10 day leaving on Oct.31st. It'll be my first time in Europe and I'm beyond excited.....and more than a bit anxious....so many things to do and the time is getting closer and closer!

You'll love it! We did the Century Oct. 22nd last year (10 or 11 days?) and had a ball. This time we are doing 14 days Barcelona to Venice--it was just too much fun to stay away!

Have a great time!

Cathy

Archived