First Time Cruising to Barcelona - Questions

Greetings! :D

I am an experienced cruiser when it comes to the Carribbean and other cruises from the US but this will be my first cruise from NYC and ending up in Barcelona. We are cruising on the new NCL Gem.

I have some questions I am looking for some answers to...

* We are arriving in Civitavecchia on May 1st....May Day. Has anyone been in Rome on that Holiday? What will we find open / closed? Should we skip our plans for heading into Rome? I have tried searching the web for insight into this Holiday and what we might find but have come up empty.

* Are there any ports where snorkeling and or scuba diving would be recommended? We will be in Malaga, Lisbon, Nice, Livorno, Ponta Delgada, Cadiz and Ajaccio.

* How do the ships handle the time changes as we cross the Atlantic? We are at sea for 4 days before we get to the Azores. Do we "lose" hours each day?

I'm sure there will be some more questions! I'm so excited. :D

Thanks in advance for any information.:)

I have some of the same questions as you - like about the time as you cross the ocean. It would make sense to change a bit everyday. What a great way to get to Europe without jet lag. We are going Emerald Princess from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona on April 14.

I would not think May day would be a problem in Rome. If you have not been there, I would not miss it. It is the one port I have been to on your cruise and our cruise. The train station is right there by the dock and it takes 45 min to an hour to get to Rome. I forget exactly. But Rome is so outstanding and you can get to see a lot in a day. I would not miss it.

May 1 holiday: in Rome, the Vatican museum (which includes the Sistine Chapel) will be closed. The Colosseum and Forum are open, as are many churches. Some sights, such as the Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon are of course viewable any time. It would help if you list what you are most interested in seeing. The Borghese Gallery is also closed.

Time change: Most cruises have you turn back your clocks a bit each day. Check with your individual cruise line for the most accurate answer though.

In Cadiz there are plenty of shipwrecks that must be great for snorkelling or scuba diving, but I don't know if there is any tour that does it or wether there iare any close to the shore. Also, the currents on the Gibraltar Strait can be tricky.

Another option may be Nice, but I don't know anything about it.

• 2 months later...

Hi San

We're on the same cruise and like you, we're experienced cruisers but this is the 1st transatlantic. Only 3 more days. I've spent serious internet research time so I think we're ready. I even have a wife who speaks Italian so I can't be more prepared that that unless I had another one who spoke Spanish

Archived