Live From The Maasdam

advocado

Advacado:

I am loving your posts, as we have just booked the MAASDAM for November. It seems like a LONG way off, but you are helping to build the suspense. We are looking to book a deuce by the railing, do you happen to know what numbers they might be? Thanks. Elizabeth

Advacado:

I am loving your posts, as we have just booked the MAASDAM for November. It seems like a LONG way off, but you are helping to build the suspense. We are looking to book a deuce by the railing, do you happen to know what numbers they might be? We will have 8:00 dining.Thanks. Elizabeth

The B/W Ball was a blast. Especially for DW. Her dance card was full much of the night with officers wanting to dance (one in particular…). The Crows Nest Lounge was festively decorated. The officers and members of the crew were all decked out in their finest. The music and singing were outstanding and the dance floor crowded. Everyone had a great time. The entrance to the port is through a narrow, 500 ft. wide channel. On the opposite side of the port, only 200 yards across the water from the ship, lies a sleepy fishing village with numerous boats tied to the shore. A quarter of a mile west is the Pacific.

This morning I awoke to the sound of mariachi music. I peered over the verandah and saw two dozen dancers in full costume dancing folk dances at dockside. Colorful, swirling skirts and men twirling machetes like batons. The new port is covered with large green lawns, tiled pathways, and a dining pavilion with a large swimming pool. Large, thatched palapas, shaped like Mayan pyramids are a short walk from the ship. Inside is a bazaar of tourist goodies and ethnic dances are performed throughout the day. In the far distance are two huge volcanoes overlooking the flat, lush plain. The few excursions were slim pickings. Nothing of any real interest to us, so we took a shuttle bus ($10 each for round trip, with a guide) to take us to nearby Tapachula for some good tamales and beer. On the way we past hundreds of acres of old growth mango trees and many papayas. The bus stops in the town plaza, next to the Cathedral. As it is Sunday, the plaza was packed with people. Many parents with babies and much singing. The battle of the mariachi bands was in full swing. The police presence was noticeable. On every corner a couple of policia (with automatic weapons) stood watch. We felt safe.

We wandered into restaurant Los Jarrones (recommended) and feasted on chipalon and mole tamales, quesadillas and empanadas, washed down with ice cold beer ($24). After passing back through the square and the Cathedral, we turned left and found ourselves in a large and colorful open air market. Everything from fish roasting in the hot sun (…um, no thanks…) to hand rolled, while-you-wait-cigars, was for sale. Countless flowers, fruits and multicolored clothing stalls lined the pedestrian-only street. The locals are all pleasant and smiling. This entire do-it-yourself excursion cost us $50. Well worth the decision to forego HAL’s offerings. Back to the ship by 2:00. Tonight is the Super Bowl. It will be shown in the Queen’s Room, Henry Hudson Room and Wajang Theater. It will also be on the televisions in each of the cabins. It’s going to be a helluva night for room service. I like Puerto Chiapas. Good food, good sights. Great day.

Advacado:

I am loving your posts, as we have just booked the MAASDAM for November. It seems like a LONG way off, but you are helping to build the suspense. We are looking to book a deuce by the railing, do you happen to know what numbers they might be? We will have 8:00 dining.Thanks. Elizabeth

If you mean a table for two on the upper level, they have plenty of them. Sorry, I don't know the numbers. If a "deuce by the railing" is something other than a table for two, please let me know.

Advacado:

You are right it is a table for two along the railing in the upper dining room that I am looking for..... I had hoped that they would still be numbered and you could let me know which number I might wish to request. Thanks for looking. Elizabeth

Hello, I'm trying to make a decision as to which cruise line to choose for my 1st ever cruise, and these live reports are so very helpful, I do have a question though are there or have you ever seen many solo travelers? I know I pay a big premium for this but I really want to cruise, and not one family member wants to..they are afraid they will be board, or seasick, etc..excuses, so I'll be the first and if it's a nice experience maybe next year they'll come..but my concern was I'd be the only single on the ship..I'm a older than 50, but younger by 10 years than 70 so would I fit in???

Hello, I'm trying to make a decision as to which cruise line to choose for my 1st ever cruise, and these live reports are so very helpful, I do have a question though are there or have you ever seen many solo travelers? I know I pay a big premium for this but I really want to cruise, and not one family member wants to..they are afraid they will be board, or seasick, etc..excuses, so I'll be the first and if it's a nice experience maybe next year they'll come..but my concern was I'd be the only single on the ship..I'm a older than 50, but younger by 10 years than 70 so would I fit in???

I do believe you would fit into the HAL cruise experience quite comfortably. There are solo passengers on board and many others (including myself) engage them. Of course, the ice breaker is "Where are you from?", followed by "Have you cruised much before?". In a moment stories are being exchaged. Don't give it a second thought. If your friends/family won't come along, it's their loss (and besides, you get to choose to do whatever YOU want). A cruise without compromising.

Advacado:

You are right it is a table for two along the railing in the upper dining room that I am looking for..... I had hoped that they would still be numbered and you could let me know which number I might wish to request. Thanks for looking. Elizabeth

They removed the table numbers after the first day. I'll ask around though and see what I can learn. Let you know...

I am now able to image what a day at sea would be like, I like the part about the waffles, one being two..wonderful you really are painting a nice verbal portrait, are you taking photos?, I would never well should never say never I've lived to many of them, be able to afford a suite, but would like to see what the outside cabin of the Eurodam would look like is there any talk of her on the ship, I read that she is being outfitted with five new categories..and due to be delivered in July 08..

I also liked the dreamy part of the sleeping in and whipping open the curtain and then seeing where you've arrived, I don't like to know every little detail, about a trip and like surprises as well..thanks for sharing..

Advocado - really enjoying your live updates. We are on the April 14th Maasdam sailing and I was wondering if you could tell me the times the Lido is open for lunch and dinner. I have read that the open times are very limited. Thanks for your help and please continue with your postings.

Bunkagal, I have cruised 16 times. There are usually solo cruisers and sometimes they join us for shore excursions, breakfast or lunch in the buffet dining room, the theater. What usually happens is we meet on board and after that the solo person will join us for our other activities.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Sombreros off to Mexico! They have done a wonderful job developing the resort/tourist industry. Remember 30 years ago when Cancun was a sleepy village with one new hotel? Or when Cabo San Lucas was just desert and cactus down to the sea? The careful development continues. Yesterday, Puerto Chiapas. In a few years, the port itself will be the destination with resorts, golf and the ubiquitous bars and shops. Our guide on the shuttle bus even had a bachelor’s degree in tourism.

The dawn approach to Huatculco (Santa Cruz Bay) was beautiful, if not a little confusing.

From the Pacific Ocean, land is to the east, right? Then why was the Sun rising in the west, out of the ocean as we sailed into the bay? Obviously, I’m only generally aware of the geography of this western coast. It is strange, though, for a west-coaster to see the Sun come up in the west. The rising Sun cast a golden glow on the waterfront town, which is situated in a small inlet surrounded by hills and cliffs. The buildings are painted in bright colors: yellows, blues, reds and a number are clad in multi colored tiles. A resort can be seen with its cabanas and clamshells lined up like soldiers for their morning inspection. New condos cling to the cliffs as do some spectacular homes. The flora has markedly changed as we have sailed north from the Panama Canal. Gone are the tropical rainforests, replaced by shrub trees and cactus This is clearly an arid region.

A new cruise ship has recently been constructed and the walk to the town is about five minutes. Jewelry stores are abundant. Some have beautiful selections … and pricey. They do bargain. Bigger discount for cash and they will even take a personal check for big ticket pieces. If you have the patience (walk out, have lunch, return) they will really bargain. We did that. Had lunch in a seafood restaurant under a thatched roof that caught the breeze and provided relief from a sweltering Sun. The Maasdam floated majestically a few hundred yards away. Fresh garlic prawns, crispy tortillas (not chips), a couple of beers. $26. A guitar player wandered over to our table and played us a couple of romantic songs. Everyone accepts US dollars. The official exchange rate is 11 to 1, but when you offer to pay in US currency, they usually round it off to 10 to 1. I stopped by an ATM and got a 1,000 pesos for mad money to use the rest of the trip.

After lunch and shopping we negotiated a taxi fare to the nearby town of La Crucecita. The driver asked 400 pesos, we settled on 300. Return trip, we did even better at 250 pesos. The taxi dropped us off in the town square. Church, unattractive hotels (“The Flamboyant” – truly a misnomer), restaurants and rather ordinary shops. Tee shirts, trinkets and low end jewelry. There really was no there, there, so we left after about an hour and lingered in Santa Cruz for a short while before returning to the ship and its welcoming air conditioning.

The rest of the afternoon was spent lying on our verandah chaises, reading and watching the water sports below. Jet skis, banana boats (occasionally one would flip sending its passengers flying into the water) and catamarans. Huatulco is a beautiful little spot. We’ll come back … some day.

Advocado - really enjoying your live updates. We are on the April 14th Maasdam sailing and I was wondering if you could tell me the times the Lido is open for lunch and dinner. I have read that the open times are very limited. Thanks for your help and please continue with your postings.

It's not completely consistent, but usually 11:30 to 2:30 for lunch and 5:30 to 7:30 for dinner. Also, for those who can handle it, they re-open at 11:30 for a late buffet.

Avocado:

I think you paid too much for your taxi. When we were there last year,

we paid $6US back to the pier.

Of course we had to haggle a little bit. When in Mexico always get the

price first and talk with local merchants about what the fare should be.

It is certainly a beautiful port and area.

Really enjoy your comments about the area. If you stop in

Acapulco, take the cable car, out in front of the terminal. Nice tour

around Old Acapulco for less than $10US. Also the bus that runs along

the bay is about 50centsUS all the way to the other side of the bay.

There are some good internet cafes in the center of Acapulco, along

the waterfront.

Watch out for the 'made in china" souvenirs.

Greg

Avocado:

the waterfront.

Greg

Thanks for the advice. We're about ready to disembark and hit the town. As for the taxi fare, the amount we paid converted to $3.00 (US) one way to La Crucecita and $2.50 for the return to the pier.

Avocado:

the waterfront.

Greg

Er ... I meant 30 pesos to town and 25 to return. Added an extra zero in my post! Duh!!!

I don’t get along well with Acapulco. On our first trip here 28 years ago, we stayed at Las Brisas, up in the hills. Each bungalow had its own swimming pool, a drop dead view and little pink jeep to ride around town. First trip into town, the jeep was stolen. Next night (with our replacement jeep) we drove into town for a romantic waterside meal. As I am somewhat colorblind, I did not notice that my meat was green. After I consumed a few bites, DW asked, “What did you order, frog with the skin still on it?” The damage, however, had been done and for the next three days I was as sick as I had ever been.

Last night, at dinner, I began to feel congested. Nose started running and throat felt raw. Early to bed. When we awakened at dockside, I still felt under the weather (no…not the dreaded Noro thing) so we decided it was best to stay aboard. You cannot get a better view of the City from the vantage point of our verandah. We could see spotted rays, numerous sea turtles and a variety of fish swimming about in the waters below. It was a good show. We’ve seen the cliff divers before, done in the sights, so we felt the better course was just to take it easy today. So … I am sorry that I don’t have snapshots vignettes to share with you about Acapulco.

I do, however, want to share the only negative experience we have encountered aboard the Maasdam. We were scheduled to depart Huatulco last evening at 5:00. All aboard by 4:30. Before departing the ship, DW and I synchronized our watches with the time displayed on the Captain’s Log on the TV screen. Upon returning to the ship, as we approached the gangway, the chief of security was angrily pointing at his watch and shouting to us that we were late. We pointed to our watches that said 4:26. He wouldn’t hear of it. He said that the ship’s time was now 4:33 and “YOU ARE LATE!!”.We apologized and I quipped that our dinner tonight would probably be gruel served to us somewhere in the bowels of the ship. Now, I certainly can appreciate a courteous comment that we were cutting it close. But his demeanor, voice and body language reminded me of my high school vice-principal who was about to inflict detention. After going through security, waiting for the elevator (and its intermediate stops) and walking to the room, our TV screen was still displaying the ship’s clock. It was now 4:32. While we were close, we were “legal” when we boarded. His watch needed to be re-set, not ours. We were later informed that 100 passengers had boarded after we did. They must have suffered the lash…

UPDATE: We decided to take a little walk in Acapulco and were disembarking at 1:30. He was right there checking our cards. DW (who is anything but a shrinking violet) let him know that when we returned to our cabin the evening before, we discovered that we had not been late; it was his watch that needed to be re-set, not ours and finally, she did not think it appropriate under the circumstances to castigate us as though we were little children coming to the dinner table with dirt on our faces. His apology was terrific. He fell on his sword. He said that after we had boarded, he discovered that we were correct and he was not; his clock was off by 5 minutes and he confirmed that at least a 100 people did follow us on board . He said he attempted to find us to apologize for his conduct, but locate us. All’s now well.

The sail away from Acapulco was beautiful. This is a city that truly looks best from a distance. The sky is a bright blue and the air is crystal clear. The Sun is getting lower and the colors of the buildings and hills (one is 3,500 feet) are spectacular. We spied Las Brisas in the hills. Tomorrow is another day at sea…then Cabo.

I love your writing. Very informative and descriptive. Keep them coming. We sail on Maasdam March 5th for the first time and your stories are especially interesting for me. Yes, good game. We were driving back from Florida that day and watched the game in the motel room (on our way home to Ontario).

Advocado, I, too, want to say how very much I have enjoyed reading your posts each day! I will certainly miss your updates when your cruise is over. You write so eloquently and it makes one feel they are experiencing it right along with you! One of my dancers/teachers (like a daughter to me) is dancing on the Maasdam. She left in December and I won't be able to see her again until late August. It has been a great way for me to keep up with her travels! I know you wrote you don't usually attend the shows, but if you happen to see the dancers before your cruise is over, her name is Brandy, tell her hello!

Archived