Paid too much for camera on Serenade OTS!

We're just off the Serenade OTS out of San Juan (sailed on 1/12) where we purchased a digital camera onboard.

DH and I attended the Digital Camera event held by RCCL on Sunday night (1/13) and bought the Olympus Stylus 790 SW camera for $299.95, plus another $60 in accessories. When I arrived home and decided to research the camera online, I found the deal wasn't so great after all!

Shopzilla.com lists many websites that begin at $247 (without tax and accessories). I'm irritated that RCCL would misrepresent the merchandise as a 'deal' when it really isn't.

Are there others out there who have also been duped with similar events?

We bought that camera at Christmas time. It retails everywhere for $299.99. Circuit City had it on black friday as a web special for $249.99, I have only seen it for less than that, once. You paid retail for it.

Look it up...go to shopzilla.com and enter "Olympus Stylus 790 SW" and see what displays. Prices start at $237.

I'm just irritated and needed to rant a little. Just know I won't be duped again!

Look it up...go to shopzilla.com and enter "Olympus Stylus 790 SW" and see what displays. Prices start at $237.

I'm just irritated and needed to rant a little. Just know I won't be duped again!

Was this advertised as a sales event or just a Digital camera event? Did you do research prior to your cruise? I don't see how you were "duped". As they say on tv all the time, an educated consumer is a smart consumer.

And it's a great camera and you didn't pay more then retail. Also, did you use it on the cruise? If so then you did get a deal because you got to use it then and enjoy taking more memories home. We used ours all over the boat and in the H2O zone on the Liberty and those are pictures I treasure! I bought mine before I left and it was 299 as well plus taxes and shipping.

I bought a watch on board and even used the internet cafe to check the pricing before I committed - it was about $15 more on board then I could have found by searching and checking but the convenience for me of getting it and wearing it then and there made it a bargain.

A bargain is not just about the money. Enjoy the camera! :)

I am sorry you feel duped but if it was your intention to buy a camera you should have done your research BEFORE you left and gone armed with a list of all the cameras you were interested in and there price here in the states. If it was a spontaneous decision you could have even made a dash to the computer center right on board and checked the prices. It would have cost you a few bucks for the computer time but then you would be happy.

The same thing holds for jewelry when someone comes on the board and says DI ripped them off because they didn't understand what they were buying and because it is a ships recommended store it is the cruise lines fault.

Also it is my understanding that any of those kind of purchases on board ship have a 1 year guarantee, call RCCL and return it. Then you get your money back and you can purchase it somewhere at home.

Was this advertised as a sales event or just a Digital camera event? Did you do research prior to your cruise? I don't see how you were "duped". As they say on tv all the time, an educated consumer is a smart consumer.

I usually am an educated consumer, but no this time, I didn't research it prior to buying it as we didn't plan to buy a camera on this trip. I based the decision on a travelling companion's recent experience who had just bought a similar camera but paid $350 for one that wasn't water- or shockproof (his is 8.0 megapixels while this one is only 7.1, neglible difference). The RCCL agent at the table assured me that I wouldn't find a better deal on our trip.

I usually am an educated consumer, but no this time, I didn't research it prior to buying it as we didn't plan to buy a camera on this trip. I based the decision on a travelling companion's recent experience who had just bought a similar camera but paid $350 for one that wasn't water- or shockproof (his is 8.0 megapixels while this one is only 7.1, neglible difference). The RCCL agent at the table assured me that I wouldn't find a better deal on our trip.

In other words they were priced below any of the shops on your itinerary. But that doesn't mean online or shopping at home.

I would say lesson learned and hey it´s 50 bucks difference, that won´t break you. I agree with others that I wouldn´t call it duped. They offered a deal and you agreed. You obviously didn´t find a better deal on your trip, so they didn´t ly to you.

If the prices start at $237, you more than likely wouldn't have purchased from any of those sellers. A lot of times when you look at the product, the cheap prices are for reconditioned or returned items or maybe the store doesn't have such a great rating. Many times I will pay more because of return policies, feedback, etc. Plus, sometimes the shipping is outrageous. You might not have gotten a great deal, but you didn't do bad either.

Shopzilla.com lists many websites that begin at $247 (without tax and accessories). quote]

You paid retail... the difference is actually minimal when you consider tax and shipping... You paid for the convenience of being able to purchase the item onboard, presumably because you wanted a camera for the trip...

The cruise lines, will always promote not only their on ship stoes but specific port stores as well. My guess is that they're getting a kick back of some kind. I've yet to go into any shop at port and find a bargain except maybe in Mexico. The island stores, St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Caymans, etc. certainly don't offer bargains. At least not like the cruiselines would lead you to believe.

You have only yourself to blame. You bought on impulse. You were not duped.

Photo accessories like film and memory cards are also very expensive at the onboard photo shop. I guess you are paying for the convenience just like you do for the onboard film development or digital picture print service or pain medication/toiletries in the ship's convenience shop. I know that the 1GB memory Pro Duo card for my camera was $60 onboard when on our last Nov. Legend cruise. Before going I had just bought a spare one for just under $22 with tax. Ended up selling it for that amount to help out friends we met on this cruise, who also had a Sony camera and were getting very low on camera memory. It was easy to replace at similar price when I got home and actually I had only bought it to get the memory stick adaptor that came with it as as bonus. Friend didn't need that so it was a win/win for both of us.

On our first Carnival cruise many years ago I got caught up in the excitement of the Watch Sale on board. I purchased a Seiko watch on board. Not long after returning home, I noticed the band was starting to tarnish. I brought it into my local jeweler to see if I could have the band cleaned, replaced, etc. He said he would have to send it back to Seiko. Well he did and they replied that the watch was 10 YEARS OLD:eek: ! How bizarre! I guess you should just buy what you love and know that you probably aren't getting the best deal possible. I guess that's all part of the vacation mentality!

The cruise lines, will always promote not only their on ship stoes but specific port stores as well. My guess is that they're getting a kick back of some kind. I've yet to go into any shop at port and find a bargain except maybe in Mexico. The island stores, St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Caymans, etc. certainly don't offer bargains. At least not like the cruiselines would lead you to believe.

Well your guessing is correct. The stores listed in the recommended shopping guide have to pay the cruise line for being listed and for using the ships logo etc. for advertising.

OMYGOD!! THIS SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!

I paid $3.75 for my beer (actually there were several bought:p ) on board our cruise, and when I got home I found out I could get them here for $1 to $2 each!

I feel soooooo duped.. :rolleyes:

RCL is in the cruise business. They probably buy quite a few cameras but not any where near the amount that electronis "E-tailers" do. Also, etailers don't have the overhead expenses that the ship does. If you had paid a whole bunch more for it, then, yes, you might feel like you got soaked a little. You got a nice camera at a decent price and you got it "delivered" in the middle of the ocean.:)

OMYGOD!! THIS SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!

I paid $3.75 for my beer (actually there were several bought:p ) on board our cruise, and when I got home I found out I could get them here for $1 to $2 each!

I feel soooooo duped.. :rolleyes:

I guess next time you will have to smuggle your own beer onboard but then that's not allowed according to RC's rules and regulations.:rolleyes:

We're just off the Serenade OTS out of San Juan (sailed on 1/12) where we purchased a digital camera onboard.

DH and I attended the Digital Camera event held by RCCL on Sunday night (1/13) and bought the Olympus Stylus 790 SW camera for $299.95, plus another $60 in accessories. When I arrived home and decided to research the camera online, I found the deal wasn't so great after all!

Shopzilla.com lists many websites that begin at $247 (without tax and accessories). I'm irritated that RCCL would misrepresent the merchandise as a 'deal' when it really isn't.

Are there others out there who have also been duped with similar events?

I started my last camera set (Nikon Digital SLR so there are plenty of extra lenses etc... to buy) on our Explorer cruise. Actually ashore in St Thomas at the Royal Caribbean Electronics shop. I had a general idea of pricing from Ebay, got home checked again, I probably paid about the same maybe $50-100 more for my whole kit, but I did get at least that much worth of better photos during the remainder of the cruise. Also, because I was able to hold it in my hand, check it out, etc... I knew exactly what I was getting and that it came with a US warranty etc...instead of an Ebay seller even with positive feedback where there is a bit more risk than camera in hand at a retailer.

If you got use of it and would have missed the pictures you captured chalk it up as an extra fee for immediate use and try to enjoy it.

Advertising to me these days is a big game especially where the advertising is not regulated. I read most ads and try to only believe 50% of what they say until the advertising is proven accurate.

Have a great day!

Archived