Favorite St. Martin excursions

iowaoly

We will be on the Caribbean Princess in March with our two boys 20 and 17 and their two friends (the 20 year old's girlfriend and a friend of our 17 year old.) I'm thinking the girlfriend might like speaking french and seeing the french side. My husband and I have been to Orient Beach twice and are ready to try something different on St. Martin. We are thinking of going to the French side and touring and shopping and maybe doing other things as well. Any favorites? Has anyone been to the tree farm to zip line? Only the two youngest guys may zipline...so do they have things for the rest of us to do during that time? Thanks

Do the kids like to shop? If you are going to Margot, go early, shop and return around noon. Traffice gets pretty bad around then. You can take a taxi to Divi Little Bay which is less then 10 minutes away. There, they have waverunners, etc. Kids will have a blast. Beats a pricey ship excursion. :)

http://www.divilittlebay.com/DiviLittleBay/st-maarten-water-sports.html

look into doing the 12 metre challenge....http://www.12metre.com/

Basically you become the crew of either the "Stars and Stripes" or True Blue North" - the actually boats that raced in the America's Cup. We did it a couple of years ago and its not only a blast, its a unique experience. I was the timekeeper, because I am lazy, so all I had to do is pretty much say "go!" Other people actually manned the sails etc....

starsandstripes2.JPG.af6859457fa5fa605ebc3aeea1b63b4b.JPG

We will be on the Caribbean Princess in March with our two boys 20 and 17 and their two friends (the 20 year old's girlfriend and a friend of our 17 year old.) I'm thinking the girlfriend might like speaking french and seeing the french side. My husband and I have been to Orient Beach twice and are ready to try something different on St. Martin. We are thinking of going to the French side and touring and shopping and maybe doing other things as well. Any favorites? Has anyone been to the tree farm to zip line? Only the two youngest guys may zipline...so do they have things for the rest of us to do during that time? Thanks

Two years ago we were on the CB and did the Rhino "boats" in St. Martin. We also had been to Orient Beach several times, and wanted something really different. My sister and her husband took one boat and my daughter and I took the other. You go out in groups of about four boats and ride around the island. We stopped in a small cove and snorkled - but there wasn't much to see. By the way, it was easy to get out of the boat - but very difficult to get back in!!:eek: The guide helped me - thank goodness!!! :D We had a blast. Princess did have a tour for these boats, but I read about them online at a St. Martin site.

A family member is a ship's comedian and he is on ships probably 40 weeks a year. He says the very best tour of all the islands in the America's Cup Regatta and they have that in St. Martin. They fill up very quickly and were sold out for our last visit, which is why we did the Rhino boats. Have a great cruise!

We have yet to make it to Orient Beach but have done 3 other things on the island that your group might enjoy.

Zip line adventure at Loterie farm - this was terrific but also quite strenuous. Make sure you know that they will take your group before heading out as I don't think it is a Princess excursion. They were quite hesitant to take us as they had a RCCL excursion booked for that morning. We finally convinced them to let us do it. It is a fairly long taxi ride and quite remote so you won't want to get out there and not be able to do it. Your sons and their friends - GF too - will really have a great time. You and your DH would probably like it too. I know we did and we are 40+ and 50+. We still talk about it all the time but you need to be in pretty good physical shape to complete the course and you need to wear running shoes.

America's Cup challenge - We did this last March and while it rained the entire time from when they met us at the ship until the time we got back, it was well organized and a lot of fun. Again this is something you could all do together and there would be still enough time to go shopping. You don't need prior sailing experience and you can be as active as you want to be. You actually help sail the boat and some of the jobs are very physical while others aren't. We had an older lady who didn't want an active job and her job was iceberg watcher. Our boat lost the race but we all had a really good time.

Maho Beach - We wanted a beach day and a heard a lot about Maho which is the beach at the end of the runway for the international airport. We took a taxi out to the beach and made arrangements with the driver to pick us up as I had read that it can be difficult to get a taxi back. The beach is okay but the planes landing and taking off made it a very fun afternoon. Have a look on youtube as there are quite a few clips from Maho Beach and the sights you will see. The planes fly right over your head. So close you think you could touch them. Your sons would probably have a good time here. I know we did.

Out of theses 3, all of them hands down beat going shopping at least for me. That is what we did the first time we went to St. Martin. I like getting out and seeing the island. Now which of the 3 things did we like the most, not sure I could pick only one as they were all great fun and we have special memories from them all.

Basically you become the crew of either the "Stars and Stripes" or True North" - the actually boats that raced in the America's Cup. We did it a couple of years ago and its not only a blast, its a unique experience. I was the timekeeper, because I am lazy, so all I had to do is pretty much say "go!" Other people actually manned the sails etc....

Constantly rated as the best tour in the Caribbean, I'd go again next time I'm there.

There are in fact five yachts in the 'pool" True North, True North IV, Canada II, and Stars & Stripes 55 and 56 (55 is the boat that WON the Americas Cup)

12 Meter yachts racing isn't just for sailors, it is the BEST cruise ship tour I've ever done.

Do it. You still have a half day on most ships, to go to the beach after noon.

I like the Golden Eagle catamaran. It's a 4 hour excursion. Nice ride, fun beach, ok snorkeling, good drinks and snacks.

It also leaves the other half of day for shopping, beach time etc.

Ahhh, the Golden Eagle is great fun. ;) We have picks of the "boys" (you know, the guys with the black bow ties that are easy on the eyes) holding our daughter sideways for a pic. Great time! :)

Basically you become the crew of either the "Stars and Stripes" or True Blue North" - the actually boats that raced in the America's Cup. We did it a couple of years ago and its not only a blast, its a unique experience. I was the timekeeper, because I am lazy, so all I had to do is pretty much say "go!" Other people actually manned the sails etc....

I agree that this is a great thing to do. However, it's in St. Maarten (the Dutch side where the ship docks) and not in St. Martin, the French side which the OP is looking for suggestions.

Archived