Roll Call: Celebrity Solstice 3/8/09 (Atlantis Events)

philamike

That part of the world is famous for shore diving though! I think in Bonaire you can rent a car drive from dive site to dive site. So this should be awesome! There is also a airplane wreck you can swim to from shore. Ok I'm going to try to sign up on board. Mike- I am going to send you my cabin number on Facebook. Keep me in the the loop, k? ;)

What is this b.s. about us not departing until 10:30 p.m. next Sunday?! Have you guys heard that rumor? I was so looking forward to a sunset sail away party!!!

At this time in one week I'll be on my way to the airport! Yay!! :D It's so close and yet so far away!

Possibly three snow storms to go through before this cruise! Let's hope that one for Friday doesn't happen! I need to get the mid-term done so I can have a nice relaxing week onboard! :D

Atlanta - Congrats on making it onboard! I got a call on Thursday night asking me if I wanted to go because I had cleared the waitlist! I was like, what? I'm already going. LOL Hopefully you got in with that available spot! :D See you onboard.

What is this b.s. about us not departing until 10:30 p.m. next Sunday?! Have you guys heard that rumor? I was so looking forward to a sunset sail away party!!!

I haven't heard that rumor at all. If this is a rumor to be believed it might be to debark the special guest person who Atlantis left as TBA in their entertainment preview. Otherwise, whoever does the opening act will have to stick around until DR at the earliest to debark. That might be too long of a commitment for whoever it is. :cool: Keep me posted on this "rumor". Thanks!

I haven't heard that rumor at all. If this is a rumor to be believed it might be to debark the special guest person who Atlantis left as TBA in their entertainment preview. Otherwise, whoever does the opening act will have to stick around until DR at the earliest to debark. That might be too long of a commitment for whoever it is. :cool: Keep me posted on this "rumor". Thanks!

I don't think it's a rumor. It's now posted on the Celebrity website. On past Atlantis cruise, I always enjoyed the "sail away" party as we pulled out of the port, with spectacular views of the city, watching the sunset over the coastline, then settling in for our first dinner at sea.

Maybe Atlantis needs more time adding all the equipment to the ship? Since it's a smaller ship than the big sailings, there may not be tons of extra storage. When we sailed Brilliance in Europe, our sailing was two sailings after the Atlantis sailing and even so, they were still taking off crates of Atlantis stuff (we noticed the logo). Just a guess, although I think it's far more likely that they have an entertainer who prefers not to stay onboard.

I read the entertainment schedule online the other day and my guess as to who is doing the Friday show (How many entertainers have been able to tell their life story on stage?) is Chloris Leachman. She's been doing the straight cruises lately and I think her Dancing with the Stars sschttick heightens her gay appeal.

I'm so jealous of you all. Solstice is our new favorite ship. Hope you have a great time.

lee

Hey Guys,

I spoke with someone at Celebrity this morning and the 10:30 departure is listed in their system. She said that for every minute they depart past their original scheduled time they are charged alot of money. Our new travel docs still reflect 4:30. Perhaps it's an error in their system that it was changed.

Jim & Terry

We are getting into Florida a day early on Sat. Should be today!!!... 1/2 foot of snow in Atlanta today, crazy! Anyone know of any pre cruise party's on Saturday night in Ft Lauderdale? Looks like Bill's is having something. Thanks for the congrats CruisinMaterial!

I don't think it's a rumor. It's now posted on the Celebrity website. On past Atlantis cruise, I always enjoyed the "sail away" party as we pulled out of the port, with spectacular views of the city, watching the sunset over the coastline, then settling in for our first dinner at sea.

Very odd. I wonder if the ship would still be able to make Labadee on-time with such a late departure. It probably would be able to considering she sails 24 knots at top speed but she's a fairly new ship and I'm sure Celebrity wouldn't want to push the ship quite that much. It should be interesting to see what the crosswinds are like on the two days we're coming back from Curacao. If the way the map shows is correct then the Captain has a LOT of ground to cover and not a whole lot of time to do it in!! Let's hope for the original sailing time! :D

I don't even think the port pilot would stay that late to see us out unless he gets paid a nice hefty amount. Usually they spend about four hours getting all the ships in the morning and then another three getting them out at night and then they're all done. I really would miss the sunset sail away party. It's a great time to mingle and surprise people who didn't know you were coming!! ;)

We are getting into Florida a day early on Sat. Should be today!!!... 1/2 foot of snow in Atlanta today, crazy! Anyone know of any pre cruise party's on Saturday night in Ft Lauderdale? Looks like Bill's is having something. Thanks for the congrats CruisinMaterial!

You are welcome! Only a half foot of snow huh? Try 14 inches and it's still snowing - SAME STORM! :eek: Then we're smooth sailing with freezing weather until Friday. Lets hope the storm stays on Friday and doesn't move into Saturday or else that could pose a serious problem for my flight. Sitting at an airport overnight on standby is not my idea of fun! I don't even want to jinx it! LOL Think happy snow-free thoughts!! :D

I don't even think the port pilot would stay that late to see us out unless he gets paid a nice hefty amount. Usually they spend about four hours getting all the ships in the morning and then another three getting them out at night and then they're all done. I

This Sunday, the Westerdam sails at 10pm and the Costa Fortuna sails at 7 p.m. (I got this from cruisecal, which is a subscription-based service or I would paste it in).

I read the entertainment schedule online the other day and my guess as to who is doing the Friday show (How many entertainers have been able to tell their life story on stage?) is Chloris Leachman. She's been doing the straight cruises lately and I think her Dancing with the Stars sschttick heightens her gay appeal.

Hey Lee!

Thanks for the guess. I vaguely remember hearing all the buzz surrounding Leachman at work. I don't watch the show though. :o I know it wouldn't be Joan Rivers or maybe it would?! Celebrity Apprentice was filmed last summer and she's on that show. However, I do believe they do the final episode live??? So maybe she's tied up with that. (Hopefully so!) If it is going to be someone who repeats then Patti LuPone is definitely worth seeing again. She's the only special guest star I liked. Not offensive to anyone and just incredible! :) (Oh yeah, and not on drugs!!! :D)

~Jake

This Sunday, the Westerdam sails at 10pm and the Costa Fortuna sails at 7 p.m. (I got this from cruisecal, which is a subscription-based service or I would paste it in).

Very interesting to know! Cruisecal used to be a free site. The owner is very nice. Helped me out back in 2005 setting up a special gathering page on that site for the cruise.

As for the departure times, wow! That's super late for a 10PM sailing so I guess it can be done after all. I have been one of the last ships to leave Port Everglades on a weekened turnaround and we left at 6:30PM and the entire port was empty. This was winter months back in 2003. I really hope we don't stay that late though. I just want to get away!!

I just hope it's not as cold in FL as it was when you were down there!! :eek:

Very odd. I wonder if the ship would still be able to make Labadee on-time with such a late departure. It probably would be able to considering she sails 24 knots at top speed but she's a fairly new ship and I'm sure Celebrity wouldn't want to push the ship quite that much.

It should be okay -- it's about a 750-mile sail from Port Everglades to Labadee. With at least 30 hours to cover the distance, the ship needs to sail at 25 mph, or just shy of 22 knots. Of course, this isn't factoring in currents and headwinds...

Now the return trip from Curacao should be flirting with top speed. Actually, Holland America's Westerdam has a regularly-scheduled cruise that sails from Curacao to Port Everglades with two full days at sea -- but they leave Curacao at 5 p.m., instead of our 11 p.m. departure...

- Mike :-)

Mike - The return trip to Port Everglades from Curacao was the one that had me wondering how they were going to do that. Happy that you figured it out! I have a slightly later flight returning home that day so if we arrive late then that is fine with me. The crosswinds or winds at all on the upper deck could get interesting for the deck parties. All those nice costumes getting blown around!! :eek:

After yesterday's snowstorm I don't care where we go so long as it is warm and sunny!!!!!! :D:D

5 Days to go!!

~Jake

Well today is my last day at work. I'm leaving for Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning to spend some time doing nothing on the beach before the cruise. Finished packing (mostly) last night. Now I just have to check for any odd-and-ends I may have forgotten. Once again, the costumes get their own suitcase. crazy crazy :D

Well today is my last day at work. I'm leaving for Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning to spend some time doing nothing on the beach before the cruise. Finished packing (mostly) last night. Now I just have to check for any odd-and-ends I may have forgotten. Once again, the costumes get their own suitcase. crazy crazy :D

I have two more days of work torture before the mid-term and then it's off to FLL. Please everyone keep your fingers and toes and whatever else crossed so I make it out. There is a storm lurking on Friday but they're not sure yet!! :eek:

As for a seperate suitcase for costumes. I did that once on the 2004 Atlantis cruise and that suitcase nearly missed the boat in Venice. What a nightmare! Air France sent it to Vienna instead of Venice but it just barely made the ship before we sailed. Celebrity was very nice though because they thought I lost just about everything when in actuality it was nothing. They gave me a neat case, t-shirts (XL - like a balloon on me) and gave me a bottle of cheap champagne. I thought it was very nice of them! :D After that trip I have always packed the essential costume stuff in the main luggage and all the frilly stuff in the other one. This year I don't think I'm going all out. I want this to be a sedate experience. Time for grass stains at the lawn club. Wonder if you can lie on it or not?? :cool:

I started some packing yesterday but have WAY more to go. I'll finish it after the mid-term on Friday night! It'll help me unwind a bit!!

Hi everyone,

Is anyone still home or are you all off for Fort Lauderdale?

Did anyone hear of an Atlantis precruise party? Sometimes they have one at a club the night before departure.

We are leaving for Fort Lauderdale tomorrow.

Hope you all have a wonderful vacation.

Vinnie & Bill

Yesterday afternoon I saw the time change on the Celebrity website and last night Atlantis confirmed it! Kimberly Locke! Please tell me I know who this woman is?! (Yes I know... turn in the gay card... :o)

I don't watch American Idol and a co-worker told me that was her claim to fame! I have gone to Wiki and haven't figure out any of her songs and if I've heard them before. :o Maybe I've had my head in the sand for too long. Have any of her songs been remixed outside of the last year for the discos? I haven't been in a good disco since Labor Day!! :eek:

Well I'm still at work and bearing the cold, fly out tomorrow.

I also saw Atlantis latest email. Kimerberly Locke. I believe she was on the second American Idol back in 2002? The only song I know she did was "8th Wonder of the World" and while I like the song, I don't think I'll be sitting through an hour concert of her. I'd rather have the sail a way but I don't run Atlantis. It says our schedule won't be off so we'll see.

I must say it's hard to concentrate at work when I still have to pack and get all my stuff in order.

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. Solstice will be my 4th Atlantis cruise. I can help with a couple of the things on these last couple of pages.

Kimberley Locke - She actually finished 3rd in Idol. Here most recent single (besides a Christmas song she did last Dec) was called "The Fall". It actually went to #1 on Billboard's Dance Charts. She also went #1 in 2007 with "Change" and my personal favorite, Freda Payne's "Band of Gold", which she also sang on AI. I'm not super thrilled about a later departure bc of her but it prob won't matter much anyway. I doubt I'll be able to sit for a concert and she probably won't sing the version of "Band..." that I actually like.

Here's the Port Everglades Departure Schedule for Sunday Mar 8th:

Berth Vessel Agent Purpose MM/DD ETA MM/DD EDT Length

19 CARNIVAL FREEDOM CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE CRUISE - MULTI 3 / 8 04:15 3 / 8 16:00 952

18 CELEBRITY SOLSTICE CELEBRITY CRUISES IN CRUISE - MULTI 3 / 8 04:30 3 / 8 22:00 1041

21 COSTA FORTUNA COSTA CROCIERE S.P.A CRUISE - MULTI 3 / 8 04:45 3 / 8 16:30 893

26 WESTERDAM HOLLAND AMERICA LINE CRUISE - MULTI 3 / 8 05:30 3 / 8 17:00 936

2 CROWN PRINCESS PRINCESS CRUISE LINE CRUISE - MULTI 3 / 8 05:45 3 / 8 17:00 947

33A TUCANA J CROWLEY LINER SERVIC CONTAINER 3 / 8 08:00 3 / 8 19:00 458

30 CCNI PUNTA ARENAS NORTON LILLY INTERNA CONTAINER 3 / 8 10:00 3 / 8 20:00 679

29 EURUS PARIS FILLETTE GREEN & CO. CONTAINER 3 / 8 12:00 3 / 9 20:00 486

20 TROPIC JADE HYDE SHIPPING CORP CONTAINER 3 / 8 12:00 3 / 10 19:00 296

30 CAP SAN RAPHAEL NORTON LILLY INTERNA CONTAINER 3 / 8 15:00 3 / 9 09:00 844

1 DISCOVERY SUN PORT EVERGLADES STEV CRUISE - DAILY 3 / 8 21:30 3 / 9 08:00 441

30 EL YUNQUE SEA STAR LINE LLC CONTAINER 3 / 9 05:00 3 / 9 16:30 791

26 ZUIDERDAM HOLLAND AMERICA LINE CRUISE - MULTI 3 / 9 05:30 3 / 9 17:00 936

18 NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUI CRUISE - MULTI 3 / 9 06:00 3 / 9 17:00 1021

32 MSC BAHAMAS FAROVI SHIPPING CORP CONTAINER 3 / 9 07:00 3 / 9 15:00 328

BostonBud - Have a safe trip! The weather is MUCH warmer today but yesterday was not as bad as it has been either. I'm at the library at school this AM. Getting ready for a good long day of studying. It's very hard to do that when my mind is on vacation mode! Today starts my vacation from work!! :D I still haven't packed yet but will do so tomorrow morning before and after the haircut and before I leave for school and then it's immediately off to the airport. Tomorrow is going to be INSANE!!! :eek:

PRgymnast - Thanks for the information on the guest star (Kimberly). So long as she's got dance songs that were remixed at some point then I should be ok in knowing who she is. I tend not to know song titles or artist names but if I've heard it in a dance club then I should know who she is when I hear the tune. Of course, it won't be remixed with a faster beat but it's still worth going to see. I know she's going to be onboard right around the cast off party but I'm sure that is going to get changed so that we do have some form of deck party when we leave and it will probably roll over to the disco inside (as they set that up first usually) and then the rest of the night will be there. :)

Nice to see that the Crown Princess will be leaving after us. When I was on the Crown the Solstice took off like a bat out of hell! It was already down the coast of FLL by the time we cleared the Port Everglades channel. This was in January. Now it'll be my turn to watch her sail off! Not too many cruise ships in on this turnaround day. Less passengers going through Port Everglades is always a good thing for traffic. :D

ALL - Have a safe trip to Port Everglades and see you all on Sunday! I'll be the tall guy sleeping in the chair at the cruise terminal since the hotel transfer is early! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived