Left a bag in room during self assist....

UncleInci

On my last cruise, everyone in our group "pre-staged" with their bags in my room so that we could all leave the ship at the same time. I put one of the garment bags into the closet to help save space. Unfortunately, when our self assist number was called, we left it in the closet. We did not realize the mistake until we had already driven half way back to San Antonio and Austin. No one to blame but myself. :o

The garment bag has a name embroidered into it, a conventional luggage tag, and even one of the carnival "debarkation zone tags" on it. Everything has the correct name and contact information on it.

The ship has since gone out on two 5-day and one 4-day trips. Our bag has still not turned up. We've tried contacting both Carnival and the port of Galveston directly. So far no luck. The only answer we get is if they find something they'll send it C.O.D. "within the next few weeks". While I know it was my own dumb fault, it seems silly that I can tell them exactly where the bag was left - yet they don't know if it has been found or not.

Anyone have any simular experiences or tips on getting a left behind bag back?

Sorry to hear that....same thing happened to my ex when we sailed the North Atlantic, not on Carnival, the bag had a brand new suit that he had just bought in Paris....yuck, yuck, yuck....it never did show up! Hehehehehehe....couldn't have happened to a nicer person!

I will tell you that on my last cruise Delta lost my luggage, Carnival was very helpful in working with Delta and I was pleasantly surprised to find my bags waiting for me....sans my camera....when we arrived at our cabin. I expected them to fly it to Jamaica so was really thrilled at the earlier delivery.

My son (18 at the time) left some of his clothes in his cabin also. When we got home I also contacted Carnival and told them exactly where everything was. Unfortunatly they never found the stuff.

Should they have been easily able to find it and ship it to me COD? Sure they should have. Did they? Nope. Who's the dumba$$ ? My son for leaving it.

Course I did file a claim with my travel insurance broker.

My son (18 at the time) left some of his clothes in his cabin also. When we got home I also contacted Carnival and told them exactly where everything was. Unfortunatly they never found the stuff.

Should they have been easily able to find it and ship it to me COD? Sure they should have. Did they? Nope. Who's the dumba$$ ? My son for leaving it.

Course I did file a claim with my travel insurance broker.

Good idea about filing a claim. Not sure if I would of thought of that. I hope the OP sees it and had insurance.

While I have never had anything go missing while I was in the cabin, I did loose a very nice custom made shirt. Like the O.P. I had left it hanging in the closet. (last minute I decided to wear a "brag rag" shirt with a logo of the ship on it instead and forgot).

I tried to e-mail the ship and it never showed up..... I e-mailed the purser who asked the cabin attendant.. This was on QE2.

I think the crew takes left items as extra tips... LOL...

Also I see it as being my own dumb falt...

Tom in Long Beach

This is the OP.....

The part that bothers me most about this is that the item in the garment bad was my Dad's full military mess dress (retired USAF) - and I'm the dummy that left it in the room. While I'm sure the ribbons and metals "look cool" to some people, it really is a memorial/honerance to him and others who served in the military. Why someone else would want to keep that, I have no idea.

I'm still holding out hope it will be returned; however, judging by most of the above comments, it seems to be a rather lost cause....

[yes that was an intentionally bad pun]

We have done something similar at least three times. The first time we left a bag in the area where you get on the shuttle. I called and it was shipped to my house within a week. There was never a charge for it.

The second time, my daughter left a cross necklace, with a small diamond, in the drawer under the vanity area. I also called about this and was told it would be reported and returned, if found. Haven't heard anything and it's been about 4 years now.

The third instance, my husband left some clothes and prescriptions in one of the drawers. We didn't even call about this. He read where Carnival said that they either threw away or donated items left behind, such as clothing.

Good luck though. I hope you hear from them. I know the uniform and medals are important.

This is the OP.....

The part that bothers me most about this is that the item in the garment bad was my Dad's full military mess dress (retired USAF) - and I'm the dummy that left it in the room. While I'm sure the ribbons and metals "look cool" to some people, it really is a memorial/honerance to him and others who served in the military. Why someone else would want to keep that, I have no idea.

I'm still holding out hope it will be returned; however, judging by most of the above comments, it seems to be a rather lost cause....

[yes that was an intentionally bad pun]

Oh my, that is a loss, both monetary and sentimental. I can't imagaine of what use it would be to anyone else. Though, your post reminded me to call my BF and remind him he has to go for a fitting to get his full dress uniform for our April cruise. I don't know what they cost in the U.S. but here you practically have to mortgage the house for one.

• 2 weeks later...
Now I dont want to start a controversy. But sometimes I cant help but think that the ships crew makes out on lost items sometimes.

Funny how stuff sometimes gets lost forever when it was left in a specific place.

Anyone have those feelings?

I feel the same way Ron. Also it seems like when you're on the ship it's all about service, service, service, but once it's over, they can't get you out of there quick enough and don't give a hoot about you or your belongings!

Also let me know how Liberty treats ya!

Archived