Chena Hot Springs

levramosis

We stayed there in 2004. The hot springs themselves were wonderful, and the surrounding area (pre forest fires) was beautiful, with many wonderful areas for hiking and exploration.

The resort itself was WAY past its prime...VERY rustic, and somewhat dilapidated. We did have fun, and saw a lot of wildlife (and soaked for hours in the hot springs)...but probably would not stay there again.

Here is a link to the tripadvisor reviews of the chena resort.... we really enjoyed the natural rock pool, and the ice museum/hotel looks amazing. Perhaps they have upgraded the non-ice rooms since our last visit, but you might enjoy the experience if you don't mind "roughing it" for a night...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60826-d112941-Reviews-or10-Chena_Hot_Springs_Resort-Fairbanks_Alaska.html#MIDC

This is a place to stay at in the fall with the aurora potential. I've been here twice and the prior owners were superior to the current in my opinion. This is also a place I would not be without a car. If you have that much free time in Fairbanks, you may want to consider it?? Day passes were only about $20?? be sure to take a crappy bathing suit, your nice new one is likely to change funky colors. :)

levramosis, if you are looking for a good place to eat dinner in that area I can recommend the Cheena River Pumphouse. We ate there in Aug. You can eat outside on the large veranda, in the smaller dining area which is all windows, or inside in the main dining room. It is a unique building and has some unusual items on the menu; I really enjoyed my Reindeer Tenderloin:D

Archived