Trip Insurance

Tomct

We purchased insurance on our Hawaiian cruise and extended stay, but have not done so on our two Dawn 7 day Bahama cruises. We are now booked for a 10 day S. Caribbean, with another "slightly" senior couple, and have been leaning towards insurance. I'm about to do some "internet shopping", prior to talking to our TA for his quote, and would like any advice I can get.

I think our priorities would include medical evacuation, trip interuptiion, and trip cancellation due to a family emergency. I have no idea what our last coverage included, as we were firat timers, but being gone for ten days, and visiting all these islands, it may be wise to have such coverage.

I've looked at a few sites in the past, but not good at reading the fine print, which I know is so important in this case.

insuremytrip.com is a good resource for comparing different policies and provides the information in a relatively straightforward manner. However, you do have to consider preexisting conditions. In most cases, the insurance will not cover a condition that someone has had three to six months before purchasing the insurance UNLESS you buy the insurance within 14 days of booking the cruise. In this case, the preexisting condition clause is usually waived. Now, if the condition has been medically treated and stable for the three or six months, it will usually be covered if the condition gets worse (check the policy).

The only thing you will not get by buying insurance privately is the "cancel for any reason" option. However, the insurance is usually much cheaper when purchased separately.

Hope this helps.

Archived