On BtoB cruise, when can one purchase alcohol ?

jocelysue

On a Bto B cruise, or on the 1st lap of a two-lap cruise, can one purchase duty-free alcohol the night before disembarkation and have it delivered to one's cabin? Or must one wait until the night before final disembarkation date?

I realise that we are not allowed to bring our own alcohol on board ( with the exception of wine, and, perhaps, beer) but we would like to purchase duty-free alcohol to give to friends who will be meeting us at the pier when we disembark from the first part of our cruise.

Another question: are port and sherry considered by HAL to be part of the wine family?

They are indeed fortified wines, but fortified with alcohol, so am wondering whether we can purchase port & sherry in Portugal to bring on board and consume during the final days of our cruise ?

Thanks for the always interesting answers you are sure to post.

On a Bto B cruise, or on the 1st lap of a two-lap cruise, can one purchase duty-free alcohol the night before disembarkation and have it delivered to one's cabin? Or must one wait until the night before final disembarkation date? You can purchase alcohol whenever you wish, if onboard or at shore, they will hold the liquor until the night before departure to deliver it to your cabin.

I realise that we are not allowed to bring our own alcohol on board ( with the exception of wine, and, perhaps, beer) but we would like to purchase duty-free alcohol to give to friends who will be meeting us at the pier when we disembark from the first part of our cruise. Only wine & champagne is allowable to bring onboard, no beer.

Another question: are port and sherry considered by HAL to be part of the wine family? I would say yes, but as I've not specifically tried this, I'll defer this to another CC member.

They are indeed fortified wines, but fortified with alcohol, so am wondering whether we can purchase port & sherry in Portugal to bring on board and consume during the final days of our cruise ?

Thanks for the always interesting answers you are sure to post.

(my answers are in red above)

You can buy liquor at any time during your first cruise and whatever you have purchased that was held by HAL, will be delivered to your cabin the last night of that first cruise. I have never heard of them withholding delivery to someone who was b-to-b.

Enjoy the wonderful sherry and wines of Portugal.... try their Green Wine.

It really depends on the ship. About a year ago, I know someone who bought liquor on the first segment expecting it to be delivered the last night of the cruise. It wasn't -- they got it the last night of the second voyage.

We were having lunch in the Lido and the man was telling off an officer about what he thought of HAL's alcohol rules.

Archived