Differences?

DebbieMH

My husband & I have fallen in love with luxury cruising. We have 3 Crystal cruises and one Regent under our belt. I'm looking for a short (7-8 day) Caribbean cruise in late Feb/March. We just returned in December from a 14 day Crystal cruise - so can't take that much time off from work this quickly.

Is the fact that these ships are so much smaller a concern? Do they rock and roll quite a bit? I haven't had any problems with seasickness on our other cruises, but again, the ships were larger.

I love everything about Crystal - Regent was ok ... but not the overall experience Crystal is. Would you recommend we try Seabourn?

Thanks, Lynn

My husband & I have fallen in love with luxury cruising. We have 3 Crystal cruises and one Regent under our belt. I'm looking for a short (7-8 day) Caribbean cruise in late Feb/March. We just returned in December from a 14 day Crystal cruise - so can't take that much time off from work this quickly.

Is the fact that these ships are so much smaller a concern? Do they rock and roll quite a bit? I haven't had any problems with seasickness on our other cruises, but again, the ships were larger.

I love everything about Crystal - Regent was ok ... but not the overall experience Crystal is. Would you recommend we try Seabourn?

Thanks, Lynn

Oh yes, by all means..treat yourself to a very special experience...the service is exceptional..as is the food. As for rock and rolling..if in heavy waters..of course you will a bit. We happen to enjoy a good sleep if this occurs..so peaceful. We are on going on the legend the 27th and on into March..is that the one you are considering..it is a nice itinery. Lola

In a word, YES! :D

I've never had any seasickness issues in the Caribbean on Seabourn, although their ships are smaller. Of course, one cannot predict the seas anywhere.

I've not sailed on Crystal, but had one Caribbean cruise a few years ago on the then-Radisson Voyager, which was very nice. It, however, could not compare with the service and the intimacy of the Seabourn fleet, staff & crew.

Try it...you'll like it!

Paul ;)

I have found that in the past few years Regent has lost the polish and style it once had and that, I am assuming, is what you find better on Crystal. Seabourn is consistently a step above that.

Part of the reason is the seamlessness of things as it is all-inclusive and with a "no such thing as 'no'" policy. Other things that make it a nice alternative is the size of the suites (much larger than the standard Crystal cabins).

While Crystal does have some more on board alternatives (as the ships are larger) and an excellent lecturer base, I have clients which find Seabourn's smaller ship's abilities to visit some more interesting ports and more personalized service and socialization a very pleasant alternative.

I do not find that Seabourn has more of an issue with seasickness. If you consider that the ship's public areas are closer to the sea than most of Crystal's (since it has far fewer decks) the movement is generally not an issue at all in places like the Caribbean. (If you were considering a transatlantic I might suggest otherwise, though.)

Thank you both. I posted the same question on the Crystal site and they are saying about the same things. Both are excellent products and if you really like one, you are probably going to really like the other.

Can someone explain the balcony's to me? Is it a real balcony? I think I read somewhere that Seabourn really didn't have "useable" balonys. Thanks, Lynn

The balconys are not really useable like other ships.You cannot step out onto them or put chairs or tables on them,the only thing that you can do is to open the glass doors and enjoy the air that comes into your suite.I do not think that they are worth the extra money as you are not in your suite all day and night.If this is an issue then why not try and book the new ship Odyssey that Seabourn has coming in June 2009.There is a good choice and most suites have a real balcony.

The balconys are not really useable like other ships.You cannot step out onto them or put chairs or tables on them,the only thing that you can do is to open the glass doors and enjoy the air that comes into your suite.I do not think that they are worth the extra money as you are not in your suite all day and night.If this is an issue then why not try and book the new ship Odyssey that Seabourn has coming in June 2009.There is a good choice and most suites have a real balcony.

Thanks, glad I asked. I'll look at a less expensive cabin then. I don't really want to wait until 2009 ... I'm looking for something in March, probably. If we do end up on a Seabourn cruise and like it - then we can look at 2009.

Having sailed both, though partial to Seabourn, the products are both luxury, but Crystal offers a much more traditional product with fixed seating dinner and larger ships with smaller standard cabins. Seabourn ships are like country clubs, open seating dinner, fantastic personal service (that you just can not replicate on a 1000 passenger ship) and fantastic food. Also, I found the Seabourn ships lend themselves to meeting other passengers, with hosted dinner tables and lower pax count.

The ships are older, less amenity filled and do not have true balconies (though the juliet balcony was unique as you can sit on your couch and feel like you are on your balcony), but still they are special.

Try them, if you do not like them, at least you tried something different.

you can smoke and blow it out of the Juliet window. Not much good for Romeo.:cool:

One thing to consider is that the Seabourn suites are substantially larger than Crystals, so the lack of balcony is offset quite a bit by the ability to truly lounge in your suite.

Also because of the size of the Seabourn ships you tend to spend more time "on deck" rather than needing to find peace in your cabin.

Thank you everyone for your input. Sounds like we will try Seabourn sometime. I called my TA and found out the cruise I was looking at Feb 27th has been sold out. The only other one available was March 30 and that was 7 days. Found out the airfare was $1,000 each ... a bit over the top for 7 days. So, I will start looking at the fall trips to try Seabourn for the first time. Y'all have me excited though! Too bad it's already sold out. Thanks for the input. Lynn

Lynn, I haven't been on Crystal or Regent, I understand they are lovely. The thing that keeps bringing me back to Seabourn is the size of the ship...small...only about 200 passengers...and the incredible service. The crew are very professional and friendly; you will really like them. The passengers are friendly too; well traveled and love to talk about where they've been. I learn alot whenever I talk to anyone on Seabourn!

The cabins are simply beautiful. One of my favorite things to do is perch close to the window (the non-balcony cabins have a little window seat by the large picture window), write in my diary and watch the world go by (I see Paul, above, likes this same feature!). On one of my cruises, Seabourn upgraded me to a balcony. It was very nice, but you really don't need one. Deck 5 is always close, the forward jacuzzi. Lots of sky and sea out there!

I also love the food, the invitations to dinner every night at a hosted table (very nice for single travelers), the formality of dressing for dinner, and never being in a crowd anywhere you go. I hope you find an itinerary you like. I hang around the Caribbean *lol* so maybe I'll see you sometime!

Best wishes,

Jane

Lynn, I haven't been on Crystal or Regent, I understand they are lovely. The thing that keeps bringing me back to Seabourn is the size of the ship...small...only about 200 passengers...and the incredible service. The crew are very professional and friendly; you will really like them. The passengers are friendly too; well traveled and love to talk about where they've been. I learn alot whenever I talk to anyone on Seabourn!

The cabins are simply beautiful. One of my favorite things to do is perch close to the window (the non-balcony cabins have a little window seat by the large picture window), write in my diary and watch the world go by (I see Paul, above, likes this same feature!). On one of my cruises, Seabourn upgraded me to a balcony. It was very nice, but you really don't need one. Deck 5 is always close, the forward jacuzzi. Lots of sky and sea out there!

I also love the food, the invitations to dinner every night at a hosted table (very nice for single travelers), the formality of dressing for dinner, and never being in a crowd anywhere you go. I hope you find an itinerary you like. I hang around the Caribbean *lol* so maybe I'll see you sometime!

Best wishes,

Jane

Actually, my husband and I were talking about it this morning. Yes, we will try Seabourn - sounds like all the things we really like about Crystal in a bit smaller ship with better cabins! Things that keep us coming back to Crystal are the service, the friendliness of the crew, the food, and the fun sitting around the bar meeting and getting to know fellow passengers. And of course, no real lines of people! Seabourn sounds like just the ticket.

Thanks, Lynn

Debbie - Seabourn is a great experience; keep in mind, however, that there is another luxury line which offers real balconies large enough for teak deck chairs. The 'other' line is a little larger than SB (just under 400 pax), but with many parallel amenities. We've done both; greatly enjoyed both. But sure loved that lounging on our private veranda!

Archived