Any Dangers on St. Martin?

Bdm1962

My family will be heading to the Carribean in March. We are planning a private tour of St. Lucia, but I am starting to read more and more about the dangers of St. Lucia. Muggings with machete's and guns while hiking, etc. We have planned to rent a car while in St. Martin. Has anybody heard of similar dangers on the island of St. Martin? Since we will not have a tour guide, I don't want to travel into areas that will be dangerous for my family.

My friends recently stayed on St. Martin for a week with a rental car. They warned me not to leave anything in a car anywhere on the island. Apparently, car break-ins are common, even if you hide your stuff or put it in the trunk. I've also read online about tires being stolen from rental cars. Not sure how you guard against that! There's an area on the island (sorry, don't remember name) that is well known for it's fabulous views due to the high altitude. My friends told me to drive up to this area, don't hike it. Many locals told them that hiking it can be dangerous, i.e. muggings, assualts.

I have been to St. Martin numerous times, but have never rented a car. I have never encountered any problems other than the usual offer of drugs. I stay alert and use common sense as I would anywhere. I don't find this island to be any more dangerous than any other I've visited. Enjoy!

My friend's parents have a time share in St. Martin's. They were there for new years eve this year. My friend was at a bar on Orient Bay Beach ringing in the new year when he was robbed at gun point. He said it was night time and very dark outside the bar.

I will be heading back to St. Martin in April and going to Orient Beach. My suggestion is to just be smart. No where is crime free so just keep your guard up even though you are in "paradise."

Years ago we were warned not to stay late on the beach. DOn't be the last person back to the parking lot. Good advice for today too. Leave your valuables on the ship. Don't wear expensive jewelry and don't forget, muggers can't tell the difference between real and fake jewelry.

The most recent land vacation that we had in St. Martin was in 2006. We spent 2 weeks with our 3 daughters and toured every day. We did not go to the point which I think is called Peak Paradise because we did hear of muggings etc there. We never had an incident with our car and we left it at pretty remote spots at times. We always rent a very basic car and never leave anything in it. We act much like we do where we live. St. Martin is a great island to explore by car. It is very easy to navigate and for the most part the roads are good (except the one to Le'Gallion beach, YIKES!).

Karysa

It's called Pik Paradise and yes it is known for robberies. Definitely don't leave anything in your car, not even the trunk and don't stop for anyone in the road.

That being said, we've never encountered a single bad incident on the island over many years. We just stay aware like anywhere else in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the following website http://insidesxm.homestead.com if you like to know abou the danger!

My family will be heading to the Carribean in March. We are planning a private tour of St. Lucia, but I am starting to read more and more about the dangers of St. Lucia. Muggings with machete's and guns while hiking, etc. We have planned to rent a car while in St. Martin. Has anybody heard of similar dangers on the island of St. Martin? Since we will not have a tour guide, I don't want to travel into areas that will be dangerous for my family.

There is lot's of danger at Saint Martin! Check out that website http://insidesxm.homestead.com

Archived