help!! Dress jeans ok???

dlaf10

I always find it interesting when a passenger wears boot cut jeans, their finest cowboy boots, a western shirt and bolo tie for formal night. I always have to remind myself that in some parts, this IS considered formalwear. :p More power to them. Dress nice for yourself, not what others think.

You must have been on the same cruise as my dad!

And yes, what you described is formalwear for a farmer from Nebraska... but his "dress jeans" are so dark they are almost black (they essentially look like black slacks). After a couple washings, he always buys a new pair. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. He always looks nice and handsome to me. :)

I don't think I have ever worn jeans in the dining room, but I don't see anything wrong with a black or very dark blue jean paired with a nice top and nice shoes.

HAHAHAHAHAHA thanks for the great laughs tonight everyone!

Yes I live in a town where it's not unusual to wear your "good sweatpants" out and your "good jeans" to weddings and funerals.

And I still wouldn 't wear jeans to the DR. I go on a cruise to get away from these people...lol. :p ;)

Somebody said they wanted a picture of what people mean by dress jeans. Well here one is:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2926807/0~2376780~6009391~6009905~6009908?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6009908&P=2

I personally have almost these exact jeans and will problably wear them on a non-formal night on my upcoming cruise. I believe a pair of dark, well tailored and well fitted jeans matched with heals and a dressy blouse is much more formal than some ill fitted polyester or cotton twill capris that you see many people in. I might even dare to wear a pair of white jeans as well! It is what I wear most of the time when I go out to many upscale restaurants in Manhattan. You need to know how to put an outfit together to look dressy and most of all we are not talking about the kind of worn, sloppy jeans you wear to do your gardening.

Thank you for taking the time to post the link to the picture. The look like regular jeans to me, I do not see anything dressy about them. I really don't care one way or the other if people wear jeans on a cruise. But to call them dressy is really stretching it. JMHO.

Annieeee

Thank you for taking the time to post the link to the picture. The look like regular jeans to me, I do not see anything dressy about them. I really don't care one way or the other if people wear jeans on a cruise. But to call them dressy is really stretching it. JMHO.

Annieeee

Yes, but they cost $158. :rolleyes:

Don't sweat the naysayers on jeans. It's all in how you present yourself. I get away with jeans on formal night and get complimented for it!

I go to formal night in a 1880s Western Formal. Wahmaker frock coat, white shirt, black ribbon tie, black stetson, polished boots and black jeans. I leave the gunbelt at home though. :D

.. and before anyone asks, yes I DO take my hat off at the table. :)

Occasionally, I will get the snooty look from someone who disapproves, but those are far between and aren't hurting me one bit. I'm wearing clothes that are part of my heritage same as someone wearing a kilt or one of the elaborate African designs.

Do something different, pull from your family's past and bring it back to life. It's an interesting change away from a tux or a little black dress.

What about smart white jeans??????

Ah, here's where it can get a bit tricky. Are perfectly white, crisp denims jeans or are they just plain old "pants"? For me, blue jeans are blue jeans, whether they're my fave old stretched out, faded out light blue, slightly holey ones (for taking the dog to the beach or walking out in our local parks or even wearing to the store to buy groceries) or they're perfect dark blue, brand new, fitted jeans. I wouldn't wear jeans to the dining room for dinner on any cruise (except one out of Texas, so y'all down there don't rag on me about that). But I have a really nice pair of tan denims. They look more like slacks than jeans. They're definitely "dressier," but technically they're still jeans. IMO, if your smart white denims are what suit you, then go ahead. OTOH, on a tropical cruise of any kind, we don't bring jeans at all. They're just too hot for our tastes. We do bring lightweight pants and slacks for both comfort and to follow the guidelines laid out by the cruise line.

(BTW, seeing someone in nice jeans in the dining room at dinner certainly wouldn't in any way "ruin" or "spoil" my evening or bother me, but to be honest, someone wearing the holey, dirty, faded, etc. old jeans and a t-shirt would. It still wouldn't ruin my evening, but I would think to myself, "Well, that's disrespectful, to both the other pax and the cruise line, not to be bothered to follow the very simple requests for attire." I'd think it--I wouldn't say it and I wouldn't "glare" my attitude at anyone. I'd think it and then get back to enjoying my dinner with my wonderful DH because cruises, like life, are too short to be spending more than a moment of precious time worrying about what someone else is wearing. Well, unless they also hadn't bathed and were seated near us. Smell would be a definite issue!)

beachchick

Don't sweat the naysayers on jeans. It's all in how you present yourself. I get away with jeans on formal night and get complimented for it!

I go to formal night in a 1880s Western Formal. Wahmaker frock coat, white shirt, black ribbon tie, black stetson, polished boots and black jeans. I leave the gunbelt at home though. :D

.. and before anyone asks, yes I DO take my hat off at the table. :)

Occasionally, I will get the snooty look from someone who disapproves, but those are far between and aren't hurting me one bit. I'm wearing clothes that are part of my heritage same as someone wearing a kilt or one of the elaborate African designs.

Do something different, pull from your family's past and bring it back to life. It's an interesting change away from a tux or a little black dress.

Do you bring Miss Kitty and Festus along to complete the "look"???:p

Is your cruise to the Caribbean?

It is way to HOT to wear jeans! If it is an Alaskan cruise, I could understand. I usually wear jeans the day we board, because all my other clothes are packed. Might wear them on the day we leave, again if I have gone through everything else I have. But not in between.

I usually wear lightweight cotton slacks or a sundress- very comfortable and look nice.

That being said, it wouldn't ruin my meal if I saw everyone else in jeans. If it does, just order another drink, and keep doing that until it doesn't bother you anymore!:D

That being said, it wouldn't ruin my meal if I saw everyone else in jeans. If it does, just order another drink, and keep doing that until it doesn't bother you anymore!:D

I've found this tactic works in all sorts of situations and is very sound advice.

Princess and RCI do not have "rules" against jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights. I will wear nice dark wash jeans with heels and a cute top and look much better than the woman next to me wearing a polyester pant suit and tennis shoes.

Please wear what you are comfortable in and what looks good on you!

It is way to HOT to wear jeans!

This is not true. Although I personally would not wear jeans to the main dining room, I do always pack a pair or two of jeans for the Caribbean and wear them quite comfortably. At nighttime the temperature cools off and there is a useful quite a breeze while the ship is moving ahead full steam so I find them very comfortable to wear out on deck at nighttime. Also the bars and lounges are air conditioned so they are often comfortable to wear there as well.

Princess and RCI do not have "rules" against jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights. I will wear nice dark wash jeans with heels and a cute top and look much better than the woman next to me wearing a polyester pant suit and tennis shoes.

Please wear what you are comfortable in and what looks good on you!

Absolutely.. be comfy....a nice big fluffy robe would be adorable..but strappy sandals are a must!!!:)

You know what? Who really cares what you wear. When I go on my cruises, I dress in what makes me feel comfortable. A lot of times I go by myself and don't even go to the dining room. The only time I wear jeans though is coming and going in the winter.

Let your hair down. Wear what you want to. I saw a guy in the dining room who only changed his hat. Yes, his hat. On formal night it was white and the other nights it was camouflaged and know what? I really didn't care. No hair off my back!

Archived