Tables for two?

yahtzee

We are considering a Seabourn cruise but want to be certain that getting a table for two in the dining room won't be a problem.

Also, I've read on the board about what seems like frequent invitations to dine with officers. If one prefers not to, is declining the invitation considered impolite?

We're not anti-social (!!) and enjoy interacting with fellow passengers and crew, but often like to share mealtimes alone.

Any insights are appreciated.

We are considering a Seabourn cruise but want to be certain that getting a table for two in the dining room won't be a problem.

Also, I've read on the board about what seems like frequent invitations to dine with officers. If one prefers not to, is declining the invitation considered impolite?

We're not anti-social (!!) and enjoy interacting with fellow passengers and crew, but often like to share mealtimes alone.

No problem at all to get a table for 2 every night if you so wish. So can even indicate a favourate table or spot and they will always try to keep this available for you. We prefer the same and feel the same as you mention in your question.

Declining a invitation is certainly not considered impolite, however, we do honour the Captain's invitation, as, whilest on board, he is our host.

If you don't like invitations for hosted tables, the best thing you can do is inform either reception or the Maitre on forehand. That is what we always do and we also turn the captain down flat, because we don't like exceptions to our rule. It is just that we don't like the big tables, nothing personal. However we do invite the captain ourselves sometimes and he can decline too of course!

A table for two normally isn't a problem unless you like to dine late. Then sometimes you have to wait for a while, until a table becomes available.

Marja

Getting a table for two at dinner is not a problem. Only once have we had to wait and that was probably because we arrived at the Restaurant around 8:30 p.m. The maitre d' asked us to go to the Club and he would call up when the table was ready. We were in the Club about five minutes when a silver tray of caviar appeared without asking ... the total wait time was about 20 minutes.

It's not impolite to decline an invitation at a hosted table, however I would make sure you call Reception to decline. Otherwise your name card will be in front of an empty chair! I've seen that a couple of times and I thought that was a bit inconsiderate toward the table's host.

There are not many tables for two at the Verandah for lunch, though, so if you want to dine alone at lunch, the Restaurant would be your best bet.

johnny

Tables for two are, as stated, not a problem at all. If you dine closer to 8:30 pm or 9:00 pm there can be a short wait, but not always.

The general concept on Seabourn is to make sure its guests have their personal expectations exceeded. Invitations are offered, but there is an expectation that some will be declined each evening. All that is needed is to let the Purser's Desk know as early as possible so that an invitation can be extended to another guest. It should not be seen as an imposition on your cruise; quite the contrary.

I would not, however, suggest a "standing order" on your first Seabourn cruise because the way you feel on Day 1 may be different on Day 6, after you see what it is all about and how it feels...So why limit your options?

Simon and I had a table for 2 most nights. We did share a table with 2 other couples once, and I was okay, but I really enjoyed sitting with just Simon. We were invited to three hosted tables and enjoyed them all. The staff went out of their way to ensure that we had "our" table if we weren't being hosted. It was quite nice.

Of course, with my allergies, we alwas made sure to be there early so as to give the kitchen a fighting chance to help me without being overly busy.

Archived