Choice of NY-Departing Canada/New England Cruises Late Summer

rhcinc

Hi, my wife and I are mid-50s and did Carib cruises in 1990s on Carnival and Royal Carib, but would like your advice choosing between Canada/New England options departing NYC in late August that have similar prices:

a) 9-day Royal Carib Explorer of the Seas dep. Bayonne to Sydney NS, Charlottetown PEI, Quebec QE, Halifax NS (new itinerary for 2008) OR

b) 7-day Princess Carib Princess dep. Brooklyn to Halifax, St John, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport (revised itinerary for 2008).

We'll be Amtraking to NYC Penn Sta. and staying (likely in Midtown) for 1-2 nites before, and maybe 1 nite on return. We have not been to Eastern Canada or Newport but have seen (and liked) Bar Harbor and Boston. I have read this Site's member reviews of the Ships and some of the Bayonne and Brooklyn Port reviews but don't see a clear favorite between the two options. We are most interested in a hassle-free experience and for excursions, prefer to do on our own, tho Tours also OK. Good food and smooth sailing also would be nice but not necessarily expected. We prefer private informal dining and are not into group activities. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

-Brian

Archived