Fern Gulley/Shaw Park

gypsyrose

Can someone tell me what there is to see or do at these 2 places? I am looking at a tour that goes to these 2 places but wondering if it is worth it. I have read reviews from people going here but they don't elaborate. Is it just a place w/ greenery to look at or is there something more? Thanks!

Fern Gully is just what the others described, very pretty but don't plan your whole day around it.

Shaw Gardens in like a big park with lots of trees, plants and flowers; a botanical garden. It has some pretty sea views, gazebos, etc. On our tour we just walked around for a while and the guide pointed out different tropical plants and trees. It was very nice, but, again, I wouldn't plan it as the highlight of your tour.

Often these two places are brief stops/drives on a longer tour.

We just did this tour last week. We boarded an A/C bus with a tour guide and took a drive thru Fern Gulley. You go down a road and look at the various houses and shacks and some local schools and businesses. Some of the schacks are made out of tin and wood. It is short but interesting as you get an insight into how other people in a developing country live. You then go up a long hill it is a rainforest, not much to see really. The bus then turns around and comes back down the hill. You then go to Shaw Park. It use to be a luxury hotel in its day. The tour guide is very knowledgable about the plants and the history of the hotel. There is a natural swimming pool there and orange butterflies. Lots of stair climbing really not for people who have difficulty climbing stairs - my husband had a great deal of trouble. Lots of beautiful flowers, spice trees, exotic plants and a beautiful waterfall. We then went on to Dunns River. We went into the Park but did not climb the river. Many people did, make sure you take water shoes and you will get wet. Take a waterprrof bag there are lockers on the grounds and you can rent water shoes. You hold hands and climb the falls. Some people that were younger and fitter than us had problems, but most are exhilarted when they complete the climb. From the time you wait in line until you finish the climb it is about 40 minutes. You can leave your belongings on the bus as the bus driver does not leave the bus unattened. You start the climb at the beach level and climb up the falls from there. There are lots of aggressive craft vendors in the park. From here we went to Soni's mall. Our tour guide asked us how long we wanted to shop - we said 1/2 hour but we should have stayed a little longer. We did not buy anything from this island. Many small stores and again high pressure sales. If you look or even glance at something they are on you. There are gates at the entrance and exit to this mall, only taxi's and tour buses are allowed in. One couple in our group ventured 1/2 block outside the gates and came back. One of the locals wanted them to buy drugs. We then returned to the ship. It was an interesting trip but I would not get off the ship again to see Jamaica as we do not enjoy agressive vendors.

Archived