Live from Rio Carnaval aboard Azamara Journey!

melissa@cruisecritic

greatam...thought you would find this interesting (told you!)

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil: Samba group Beija Flor was declared Brazil's carnival champion for the fifth time in six years, after wowing judges with gold-encrusted, winged dancers and green jungle display floats.

Meanwhile, a carnival queen who danced nearly nude with a minuscule "sex cover" — a G-string affixed by glue instead of a string — helped relegate her samba group to the second division of Rio's highly competitive parade leagues.

Judges took points from her Sao Clemente group Wednesday because it broke a rule "preventing the presentation of people displaying their genitalia, decorated and/or painted."

They didn't name the offender, but she was widely believed to be samba queen Viviane Castro, who danced in her group's 80-minute parade wearing only a 4-centimeter (1.6-inch) patch believed to be the smallest in Rio parade history.

In contrast, Beija Flor's winning parade honored legends of the Amazon rain forest, receiving a near-perfect score of 399.3 out of a possible 400. The Salgueiro group came in second with a score of 398 for its parade, which honored the city of Rio de Janeiro.

One last post to the blog:

Here’s a real kicker. I found out (alas, too late), that you can do more than watch the Samba School parades in the Sambadrome. You, or I, or any of us for that matter, can actually march with one of the Samba Schools! It would take a bit of research and preplanning, but here’s how it works. You contact the Samba School and pay a fee (usually about $200 USD). Then, you are required to attend at least one rehearsal, and to buy your costume from the Samba School (which you get to keep; how’s that for the ultimate souvenir?), and that’s it! One of our fellow passengers is a Carioca, and she paraded with Sao Clemente on the first night. She told me that if I’d met her early enough in the cruise I could have done it too.

Next time I come to Carnaval, count me in!

What a great idea. Cheaper then the admission price. See you there in 2009! ;)

When I attended Carnival 30 years ago, I could hardly stay awake sitting in the stands. In 2009 I now plan to be in it!! Hopefully staying awake will no longer be a problem ;)

Thanks for the link and see you there. Now which Samba School to pick....:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived