Vozzie

janetz

I have a question for you since I see you are in Australia. My daughter is going there for most of July and I would like to know what the exchange rate is for the American dollar...and the weather in July. I think it is your winter then? She is going to World Youth Day in Sydneyand, touring, and then to New Zealand. Thanks so much ahead. :D

Hi, to answer your questions:

• the exchange rate is currently A$1.11 for each US$1 and it's usually fairly stable
  • July in Australia is Winter ... in Sydney, a maximum of around 55 to 65 degrees fahrenheit. If you travel further south .... colder (in fact you can snow ski in our southern alps), if you travel further north ... warmer. New Zealand .... much colder(also plenty of skiiing)

I assume there will be plenty of events and activities available to choose in Sydney. If you let me know where your daughter is intending to tour, outside Sydney after the event, I can give you some more information.

Sydney always has things happening. The Youth Festival will be no exception. I'm sure she'll love it.

Your exchange rate is not so good at the moment (good for us though- sorry). But things can change in a few months.

Any questions just ask away. I'm not up to date on the young scene in Sydney but my son is.

http://www.whats-on-in-sydney.com.au/

http://www.sydney.com.au/

I have a question for you since I see you are in Australia. My daughter is going there for most of July and I would like to know what the exchange rate is for the American dollar...and the weather in July. I think it is your winter then? She is going to World Youth Day in Sydneyand, touring, and then to New Zealand. Thanks so much ahead. :D

To get really up to date currency exchange rates (for AUS$ or other currencies), just check with http://www.xe.com

Oh, you all are great. :) So, you mean for every US 1.00, you get 1.11? I was hesitant to ask non cruise related questions. Oh, we are cruising the Carribane Princess in May! Wow 55 degrees? The World Youth Day is really 5 days with the Pope's attendence in Sydney and then the group will be touring, also going to New Zealand. This is s trip of a lifetime and she has fundraised almost all the money she needs. She will be staying with host family's for the first week but at some point they will be sleeping in a school. So she has to pack lightly but it seems bring layers of clothes. I know that in Syndey they will sleep out where the pope is for one night. Gosh, thanks so much. You may see me again as we think of more questions. :D :D Again, thank you.

In case you want to have a peek.

http://www.wyd2008.org/index.php/en

My daughter is a teacher in a catholic high school. They are hosting kids and I think they will also have some kids staying at her school. do you know which school your daughter is staying at or where the host family lives.

My daughter's school is in the outer western suburbs - West Hoxton, Cardinal Clancy College.

My daughter is a teacher in a catholic high school. They are hosting kids and I think they will also have some kids staying at her school. do you know which school your daughter is staying at or where the host family lives.

My daughter's school is in the outer western suburbs - West Hoxton, Cardinal Clancy College.

How interesting. Do you know if they will be hosting Americans? At this point they do not have this information yet. We will be sure to ask the priest she is traveling with as the time gets closer. :)

I just spoke to her and they are sponsoring 16 pilgrims from Tiwi Islands (just north of Australia). Apparently every school in Sydney diocese has to sponsor a small group of pilgrims who wouldn't normally be able to attend. Small disadvantaged countries I imagine. its called the pilgrim partnership program.

I don't imagine too many American pilgrims would fall into that category but there are quite a few boarding schools who will be taking kids as well as lots of families who will be hosting as well. Its going to be in school holidays here.

They reckon there will be more people here than there was for the Olympics.

I just spoke to her and they are sponsoring 16 pilgrims from Tiwi Islands (just north of Australia). Apparently every school in Sydney diocese has to sponsor a small group of pilgrims who wouldn't normally be able to attend. Small disadvantaged countries I imagine. its called the pilgrim partnership program.

I don't imagine too many American pilgrims would fall into that category but there are quite a few boarding schools who will be taking kids as well as lots of families who will be hosting as well. Its going to be in school holidays here.

They reckon there will be more people here than there was for the Olympics.

Yes, depending on where they come from determines the cost. For us, the cost is not cheap but the cost paid helps another to go who would not be able to afford it. I don't think there will be a multitude of Americans, but more Asian teens. Kids from all over the world. Yes, it will be huge and a very spiritual experince. Very exciting. :)

Archived