Victoria - Distance from Pier to town

Lucky you. I love Victoria and the "courtesy" stops do not allow enough time to do anything there particularly since it is usually at night.

They have buses that can take you to "town." I think it is too far to walk but the price is worth whatever they are asking and I think it was something like $5 round trip. Since I have only been there on a cruise at night, I don't know if they have "cabs" or "tours" when you get off the ship to negotiate. I would strongly suggest if you do nothing else go to Buchart Gardens either via ship's tour or one on the "economy." I'll bet you can find one on the internet which would be cheaper than the ship's tour. Since you have a whole day there, it would be "safe" to take a non-ship tour that leaves first thing in that you would be back in plenty of time to make disembarkation and to tour the town. Look at what they say the ship's excursion to give you an idea of time. I am not a big "flower" person but the gardens are awesome any time of the year--even at night. When I went with my two boys and husband who wouldn't know a petunia from a rose, I told them I had sat through too many sports events in inclement weather for them, they could humor me now. They even admitted it wasn't a lost cause (lol).

On land tours, we have done the museum there which is well worth time. We also toured the Government building which was interesting and, if I remember correctly, free. The Empress Hotel has a very pricey tea--again, worthwhile if you are into it but I did not press my luck with the boys. However, a "walk" through is free and worth the time to see how "the other half live." The shops have many different and interesting things in them. The town is very "British." My oldest son and I walked to Craigdorrach castle which I admit was a hike (but keep in mind, a walk of over a mile is a hike to me, there are city buses that go there). I want to go back. It was being restored from a "residence" into a museum and I would like to see how it has progressed. On the way we walked through the gardens of the Government House.

It has been awhile since I have been there but I found the town very "untouristy" in that there is not a Diamonds International on every corner or shills in front of every store. You will love it.

Tucker in Texas

Tucker, thank you for the information. Greatly appreciated. I agree, the gardens are not to be missed. I love the harbor area too and all the great shops. Never been to the museum, think that might end up on our to do list.

I was disappointed when RCCL cancelled Seattle as a port stop for us (repositioning cruise - 14 night), but was thrilled when they added in Victoria for a full day. Our last cruise in 06, we only had a couple of hours in Victoria so didn't even get off the ship since the next day was the end in Seattle.

We will have a full day in Victoria on our cruise. How far is it from the pier in Victoria to the Harbor area? Is it within walking distance?

Thank you for your help.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=48.415++-123.39&ie=UTF8&ll=48.421796,-123.361874&spn=0.031898,0.09407&z=14&iwloc=addr&om=0

The cruise ships dock at Odgen Point docks, downtown is about 1km WNW.

Head toward the corner of Government and Belleville, which is where the BC Parliament buildings are, along with the Royal BC Museum. Downtown is dur north up government street.

I will add my 2 cents worth...

It is about a 20 minute walk thru a very nice residential area.....

However there are shuttle buses that take you for a very reasonable amount of money - can't remember the exact $. On our shuttle bus they were offering transport to the Gardens for an extra fee as well.

Enjoy Victoria

Archived