Kids safe on a cruise?

cruisinmama2

We are going on our first cruise during spring break on Navigator of the Seas in March. I am wondering how safe my kids will be? I worry, OK, so I am a bit overprotective), but I have a 10 year old daughter who I want structured activities for day or night (I do NOT want her roaming around the ship), and a 15 year old son, who I am more comfortable with him doing his own thing, but still need to know if it is safe for him to do that. He is quiet and shy and needs pushing to get involved in things... I don't worry about him getting into trouble. My daughter is outgoing and friendly and the complete opposite. I want them to both have fun, without worrying about what they are doing.... I don't want to annoy people with walkie talkies all day, but I feel I will definitely need to keep in touch with them throughout the day. Thanks in advance!!!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Adventure Ocean is a great kids program. Most parents have to PRY their kids away, once they've been!

As far as safety goes, you are just as safe on the ship as you are at home. Diligence must be exercised in both places!

Set the rules for your kids, according to what is comfortable for you. I'm sure they will abide by what you say--if they don't, then punishment is in order!

They will be fine and have the time of their life!

As for your daughter's age group in the camp, most lines will allow parents to decide whether or not the child can sign themselves in and/or out of the camp. When we cruised last year, both of our kids were in the same age group, and my DH and I chose to not allow them those privileges, mainly because we didn't want them wandering around the ship. My 2DS are pretty good kids, BUT, they are kids, and kids sometime push limits, especially when with a group. It will be the same thing this year as well.

We've been cruising since DS was 3 1/2, and he's now almost 7. He loves cruising and we are comfortable with him in the kids' programs (we haven't done RCCL yet). He loves being with kids around his own age and having lots of room to move around. He even enjoys their talent shows and making new friends. He always eats with us in the dining room in the evenings (great time to show off all those manners we work so hard on!) and loves being catered to by the staff. They always make him special desserts involving ice cream and what ever else he likes most at that time. On Carnival, he spent afternoons with me either playing in the kids' pool or on the water slide. He thinks cruising is the best way to vacation!

Just get both of them involved in the kids programs for their age groups. The cruise line web site has details on activities and programs for each age group. They will meet lots of other kids, and have lots of stuff to do.

Bring a 2-way radio(s) if you want to keep in touch with the kids while they are off doing other things.

This is my first time that my DS who will be 7 by then will be going with us on a cruise so I don't know how the kids programs work. Do you have to pay for the service? Do you tip those people as well? And my final question is I am one of THOSE overprotective parents and I'm really excited about him going. I want to spend my vacation with my family and I think I will feel guilty about leaving him in the kids program all day because to me it's like what is the difference between that and taking him to daycare. Should I have a different outlook on this? I want him to have a great time I just think that I could find fun things for him to do with us.

This is my first time that my DS who will be 7 by then will be going with us on a cruise so I don't know how the kids programs work. Do you have to pay for the service? No, the kids program is included in your fare. Do you tip those people as well? It's not required, but many people do tip. And my final question is I am one of THOSE overprotective parents and I'm really excited about him going. I want to spend my vacation with my family and I think I will feel guilty about leaving him in the kids program all day because to me it's like what is the difference between that and taking him to daycare. Should I have a different outlook on this? It's six of one and half-dozen of the other! If you're happy having your sweetie with you 24/7 that's fine. If you want to have some private time it's fine to use the kid's programs. I don't think I've ever seen a post that said the kid's didn't have a wonderful time in their programs. I want him to have a great time I just think that I could find fun things for him to do with us.

I'd strongly suggest that you attend the kid's program registration on the first day. That way he'll be able to go to the program any time. The kids usually have to be "dragged" out of the kid's program because they're having such a great time!

I have cruised a few times, so I know how to keep me from getting seasick. I was wondering if those of you who have cruised with with kids know if kids get seasick.

We will be taking our 2 year old granddaughter with us on a cruise this fall. She doesn't get car sick, so I am hoping that she will do fine at sea. Any suggestions in case she does get sea sick?

This is my first time that my DS who will be 7 by then will be going with us on a cruise so I don't know how the kids programs work. Do you have to pay for the service? Do you tip those people as well? And my final question is I am one of THOSE overprotective parents and I'm really excited about him going. I want to spend my vacation with my family and I think I will feel guilty about leaving him in the kids program all day because to me it's like what is the difference between that and taking him to daycare. Should I have a different outlook on this? I want him to have a great time I just think that I could find fun things for him to do with us.

I understand how you feel. My DH and I have similar feelings. However, we also feel that if we are on a vacation, that we should all be enjoying ourselves and doing what we like. Keeping that in mind, we requested that our 2 DS go to the camp on the first morning to meet others and check it out. After that, we left it up to them, they had the option of going or hanging out with their dear old parents, and usually they chose the camp. The one thing that I did insist on was that they came on shore with us. I tried to choose excursions that they would enjoy and that was when we really spent some time together.

I am in about the same situation as my kids were 14(B) and 11(G) last summer. I had to drag my son to the kid program. I knew I would have to. However, that is the launchpoint. That is where they meet the group. They traveled in a pack the entire cruise. Made him check in often. My 11yo daughter did most of the activities and hung out with us, or swam in the pool with a group. We were lucky in that all of the parents in their group were around them in the pool on day 1 and we got them all together and enforced the pack rule and one activity at a time. If they left the pool, then they immediately report in and let me know of the next destination. They had to stay in groups of at least three. The major rules.....Don't go within 15 feet of the rail and keep to crowded areas

This worked out quite well. We had the walkie talkies but with so many people on the family band they become more of a nuisance.

I understand how you feel. My DH and I have similar feelings. However, we also feel that if we are on a vacation, that we should all be enjoying ourselves and doing what we like. Keeping that in mind, we requested that our 2 DS go to the camp on the first morning to meet others and check it out. After that, we left it up to them, they had the option of going or hanging out with their dear old parents, and usually they chose the camp. The one thing that I did insist on was that they came on shore with us. I tried to choose excursions that they would enjoy and that was when we really spent some time together.

I am glad that someone else feels like I do. I don't think I would ever leave him on the ship while I was in port. That's just my OP. I'm just to paranoid. I was wondering if you could tell me if you have to pay anything extra and if you tipped the camp carnival people and how much if you don't mind me asking. Thanks for the advice. I think I will take him the first day and then let him decide as you suggested. Thanks again.

We weren't on Carnival, but I think that most of the lines work pretty much the same way in this respect. For the most part there are no extra fees for the camp. That being said, I know on Princess, late night sitting is available in the camp between 10 pm and 1 am and there is a charge for that ($5/hr/child). As for tipping, we did tip at the end of the cruise, but to be honest, I don't remember what we left. I do remember, though, that they are not part of the tip pool since not all pax use the kids camp.

As for leaving kids on the ship during excursions, I'm with you, I don't think that I could do it either, there's just too much that could go wrong, even if it is a lottery chance of happening.

Archived