Upgrade question?

If when you arrive at the terminal for embarkation and you wish to upgrade from inside to an outside or balcony (depending on availability of course) would the price be the same as was quoted through RCI or a TA beforehand or because it is last minute would it be slightly cheaper?

Anybody ever done this before?

If when you arrive at the terminal for embarkation and you wish to upgrade from inside to an outside or balcony (depending on availability of course) would the price be the same as was quoted through RCI or a TA beforehand or because it is last minute would it be slightly cheaper?

Anybody ever done this before?

Yes ask if the room is available they will charge you to fill the upgraded rooms.

there is some discrepancy reported on this. Many will say you will pay the current price difference between the room you have and the one you want and others have reported a flat rate type of price (very reasonable) from one category to the next.

Someone not to long ago posted it and I looked but couldn't find it but I will keep trying.

In any case when you get to the terminal ask for the pier coordinator as that would be the person to handle this. Do NOT wait until you get on the ship.

Edited to add: I found the price list recently posted

The prices below is per cabin. . . NOT per person. . .

RCI Upgrades

From INSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1500

Suite - $1000

Balcony - $600

Outside - $300

Inside - $100

From OUTSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1200

Suite - $700

Balcony - $300

Outside - $100

From BALCONY to

Royal Suite - $1000

Suite - $400

Balcony - $100

From SUITE to

Royal Suite - $800

Suite - $400

there is some discrepancy reported on this. Many will say you will pay the current price difference between the room you have and the one you want and others have reported a flat rate type of price (very reasonable) from one category to the next.

Someone not to long ago posted it and I looked but couldn't find it but I will keep trying.

In any case when you get to the terminal ask for the pier coordinator as that would be the person to handle this. Do NOT wait until you get on the ship.

RCI Upgrades

From INSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1500

Suite - $1000

Balcony - $600

Outside - $300

Inside - $100

From OUTSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1200

Suite - $700

Balcony - $300

Outside - $100

From BALCONY to

Royal Suite - $1000

Suite - $400

Balcony - $100

From SUITE to

Royal Suite - $800

Suite - $400

Sue, is that per cabin or per person?

Hi Sue. . . I originally listed the prices, that you saw above, and those are the prices from the Pier Coordinator ONLY. (RCI Revenue Dept (Miami)).:)

If you board the ship and upgrade at the Guest Relation desks (On Board SHIP revenue Dept.) . . . the price you would pay is usually MUCH Higher.:eek:

Here is a reminder. . . You must check in fully at the check in desk, and when they hand you your Sea Pass card. . .then it is OK to go to the Pier Coordinator to inquire about an upgrade.

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Sue. . . I originally listed the prices, that you saw above, and those are the prices from the Pier Coordinator ONLY. (RCI Revenue Dept (Miami)).:)

If you board the ship and upgrade at the Guest Relation desks (On Board SHIP revenue Dept.) . . . the price you would pay is usually MUCH Higher.:eek:

Here is a reminder. . . You must check in fully at the check in desk, and when they hand you your Sea Pass card. . .then it is OK to go to the Pier Coordinator to inquire about an upgrade.

Radio

Hey I should have given you credit for the post, my apologies. Glad for the clarification as I knew to see the pier coordinator but not that you had to check in first.

Radio

Why not before?

Makes me think Pier Coordinator is an extn of Miami revenue mgt where everyone else is part of shipboard revenue mgt.

Kind of an odd scenario, but understandable. I would expect each ship is responsible for individual revenue targets so to the extent they can get them by charging more when on board for the upgraded room vs. what the Pier Coordinator, generating more revenue for HQ, it makes good business sense for them.

Of course most folks never read CC so they miss out on all this good knowledge shared by everyone. Thanks Sue, Radio, and Florida.

Why not before?

The Pier Coordinator will only speak with passengers with a Sea Pass Card.

They are not equipped to provide FULL Check In for anyone. . . . They can only swap cabins:)

They will be able to upgrade you to UNSOLD Cabins, while the Guest Relations desk can upgrade Passenger NO SHOW Cabins. . . .

Radio

They are not equipped to provide FULL Check In for anyone. . . . They can only swap cabins:)

They will be able to upgrade you to UNSOLD Cabins, while the Guest Relations desk can upgrade Passenger NO SHOW Cabins. . . .

Radio

Thanks for the info.

I have often wondered about upgrading but every time I get to the Pier I see a sign "Ship is sailing full".....:D

Radio

Now THAT is fascinating, Radio.

Radio

This makes sense since the embarkation process for all , as in the minimum time for cheaking in before the ship sails, must be over with before they can assign NO SHOW cabins to others. I assume that the purser's desk can also upgrade or assign guest to UNSOLD cabins as well as to No Show cabins. Is that correct?

What happens with passengers who miss the initial embarkation but boards the ship at the next port. Do they lose their selected cabin?

This may be a moot point since I imagine that delayed passengers will have contacted the cruise line to advise them of their situation and plans.

RCI Upgrades

From INSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1500

Suite - $1000

Balcony - $600

Outside - $300

Inside - $100

From OUTSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1200

Suite - $700

Balcony - $300

Outside - $100

From BALCONY to

Royal Suite - $1000

Suite - $400

Balcony - $100

From SUITE to

Royal Suite - $800

Suite - $400

Very interesting, is this amounts fixed regardless of cruise length, destination and ship type? If not, which cruise and from what port is this an indicator for?

Very interesting, is this amounts fixed regardless of cruise length, destination and ship type? If not, which cruise and from what port is this an indicator for?

This is for a 7 Nt Cruise on any RCI Ship. . . . Longer cruises will be adjusted etc. . .

Radio

Thanks for the info.

I have often wondered about upgrading but every time I get to the Pier I see a sign "Ship is sailing full".....

Yes. . that seems to happen often. Usually you can only pay for an upgrade only if there are MANY cabins available.

The "Ship is Sailing Full" Sign is usually only seen at the Guest Relations (Pursers) Desk ON the ship.

While speaking with the Hotel Manager recently, I was told that there is usually NEVER a FULL Ship. . . Several cabins will be held for Domestic disputes. . .disorderly passengers. . . and cabins that are able to resolve problems. . .

You may have seen these passengers at the pursers desk before sailing:

"My Travel Agent said. . .":mad:

"Thats not what I was told by Miami. . .":confused:

"The brochure shows different. . .":eek:

Radio

The "Ship is Sailing Full" Sign is usually only seen at the Guest Relations (Pursers) Desk ON the ship.

Radio, I've seen the sign saying "Ship is Sailing Full" in the terminal for my last several cruises, in addition to the one at guest relations.

When checking in (phase 1) would they know anything about what is available to upgrade to so that you know if it is worthwhile to see the Pier Coordinator? I suppose they could also tell you where to find this person?

Then again I can't imagine there being much available that we would want to upgrade to at that stage of the game. Like from an inside to a balcony or suite.

Another thought....would it be better to check-in as early as possible or last minute for either best chance at what is there or best chance it something being held?

With regard to needing to have the SeaPass card before checking about upgrading....while reading an RCCL Europe brochure last night in the fine print a section jumped out at me after reading this thread yesterday. It said that upgrades could ONLY be paid for on a SeaPass card. It sounded like the Pier Coordinator did not have the ability to handle other money systems (like cash or credit card) so SeaPass was the "gateway" payment method. So in order to do an upgrade you must first have the SeaPass card.

With regard to needing to have the SeaPass card before checking about upgrading....while reading an RCCL Europe brochure last night in the fine print a section jumped out at me after reading this thread yesterday. It said that upgrades could ONLY be paid for on a SeaPass card. It sounded like the Pier Coordinator did not have the ability to handle other money systems (like cash or credit card) so SeaPass was the "gateway" payment method. So in order to do an upgrade you must first have the SeaPass card.

When I upgraded with the Pier Coordinator (twice). . . They took my AMEX CARD. . .Not the Sea Pass.

I think the Brochure was referring to upgrades while on board the ship. . .

Radio

When checking in (phase 1) would they know anything about what is available to upgrade to so that you know if it is worthwhile to see the Pier Coordinator? I suppose they could also tell you where to find this person?

Then again I can't imagine there being much available that we would want to upgrade to at that stage of the game. Like from an inside to a balcony or suite.

Another thought....would it be better to check-in as early as possible or last minute for either best chance at what is there or best chance it something being held?

When you check in and receive your Sea Pass card. . .you can ask to be directed to the Pier Coordinator. The PC will have a list of what cabins were unsold my MIAMI. . . .

Both time when I upgraded; I was one of the

first ones in the terminal. . .:)

Radio

Radio, I've seen the sign saying "Ship is Sailing Full" in the terminal for my last several cruises, in addition to the one at guest relations.

Yes, I have noticed that too in some terminals and I still asked the Pier Coordinator. Last summer I was told by the PC that there were many OV cabins (Grandeur), but since I was already in a BALC. . .there were no options for me. . . .

I think the sign is up to stop the stampede. . . . It is always OK to ask though. . . .

Radio

Archived