anyone know anything about Scarborough Trinidad and Tobago

barbarag

I just noticed that Oceania has switched our call at Grenada (no surprise after Ivan) to Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago. I could find nothing under other Caribbean ports on this website. Anyone know anything about this port they'd be willing to pass on. I am so sad for those islanders in Grenada--we were really looking forward to our call there and a tour with Mandoo.

Barbara G

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to grenada and it was beautiful, but I love Trinidad and Tobago. Was there on a cruise in 1996---took a mountain /rain forest /island tour in Trinidad and saw a lot of nature. Tobago---lots of rain forest/nature. My friend went diving in Tobago. After we were both back, we hired a cab driver to take us to see things and we ate in a restaurant that the locals patronize in Scarsborough. Loved it and would go back in a moment!

Would love to find a ship that calls there as part of their regular itinerary.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

barbarag .... We've only been to Trinidad twice (once for a 4-Day Sales Meeting and once as a Port-of-Call on a cruise ship) ... but, maybe this will help a little.

At the Sales Meeting we stayed at that Up-Side-Down Hotel (1st floor was the top) and were "mother henned" big time -- never allowed to leave except in well guarded arranged groups. Our big outing of note and possible interest to you was to the Asa Wright Rain Forest. Actually, very impressed! Lots more exotic birds than we'd ever seen close up "in the wild" before and iguanas were everywhere!

On the Cruise Ship we took the excursion they offered (had learned from the sales meeting not to wonder around alone :rolleyes: ) to Maracus Beach. It was a 4-Hour tour with about two hours at the beach. We went in a taxi (4 per taxi) through the mountains which were actually a part of the Asa Write Rain Forest to get to the beach. Lots of photo opts of the harbor and ship below. It showered several times but the beach was sunny. It's a pretty palm lined but rustic beach which is on the Atlantic so there are real waves. Our taxi driver was great and drove us around a bit and through town on the way back.

Honestly, it is not a place to be walking around alone. Find a ship's tour or a good taxi!!! At the port area there's a vendor market with t-shirts, etc.

Hope this helps a bit. Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 2 months later...
Barbara,

Let me know how you enjoy your cruise. I haven't been on Oceania, but have been looking at their website for a transatlantic voyage next year.

PS--In grew up in Jamestown/High Point area.

Lynn

Hi Lynn!

Just to let you know Oceania is a great cruise line. The ship is beautiful, the food divine and the crew couldn't have been nicer. The folks who had crossed the Atlantic on the segment before ours said it was as smooth as glass so go for your Transatlantic. We liked it so much we are looking at a Mediterranean cruise for next fall!

Barbarag

We took a taxi from the port last week to the small fishing village of Buccoo. We took a glass bottom boat out to Buccoo reef and had an excellent snorkelling experience (turtle!) as well as the boat ride over neat coral, and a visit to a shallows area where the water was like silk. There were only 4 people on the boat and two guides...we were treated like royalty. Buccoo is a simple town with not much by way of amenities but there are changing rooms and a small bar on the beach area.

Other pax on the ship accepted the ship's tour and were ferried to Pigeon Point resort and then in crowded boats out to the reef. We arranged for the same taxi driver to pick us up and bring us back to the ship - can't remember the fare but it was reasonable...the rates are posted in the departure hall. You can also get cheaper taxis by walking out to the main road and flagging one down. Whatever you do, however, do arrange for your return trip before getting out in Buccoo - we saw no other taxis (and not much traffic) the whole time we were there.

There is a website called http://www.mytobago.info which is full of stuff to do on Tobago.

Archived