Are Carnival Ships Overcrowded?

stevenr597

My wife and I have been cruising for well over 15 years. While we have cruised most of the major lines, the majority of our trips have been Carnival. On the vast majority we have had an excellent experience. Most recently, we have felt that the ships were over crowded. On our most recent cruise on the MS Imagination the ship seemed to be wall to wall people with extreemely long lines at the buffets.

Before crusing we often look at the "maximu" capacity of the ship. We have found, however, that this is based on two to a cabin. We do know that a small quantity of cabins are set up for three and fours. Recenty, we have been told that on many, if not all of their ships Carnival will move in cots and have up to five individuals/cabin.

If this is the case, in many circumstances a ship that will be listed as having a capacity of 2000 will in face have over 3000 if the shipo is completely booked.

W felt that this is what occured on the MS Imagination. We are anxious to hear from other individuals if this is indeed the case, and if this is the standard practice on other cruise lines.

By the way, our next trip is on the MS Queen Victoria

It's funny, the only ship I've felt "crowded" on was the Glory - packed corridors, long buffet lines etc. Even on the Conquest which is a sister ship I've never felt the same thing.

I wonder if it has to do with the passenger makeup? On the Glory it was during Presidents week and there were several very large groups on board who hung around together and did everything at the same time. Just spit ballin' :cool:

...Before crusing we often look at the "maximu" capacity of the ship. We have found, however, that this is based on two to a cabin. We do know that a small quantity of cabins are set up for three and fours. Recenty, we have been told that on many, if not all of their ships Carnival will move in cots and have up to five individuals/cabin. ...

Have only cruised twice, once on the Glory in May, and once on the Valor in September. We did not feel it was overly crowded at all. I would suppose lines and crowds would vary according to when one chooses to do certain things or be in certain places.

IMHO, I would think the "maximum capacity" would be based upon life-boat capacities, which they would not be permitted to surpass. I would only think they could "over-fill" certain rooms if they "under-fill" other rooms.

But then again, I have probably been accused of being naive by times.

I was afraid crowding would be a problem on my Glory cruise last September, but it wasn't a problem at all. It could be because we were cruising in the off season, it was the last weekend in February, but it was a non issue. I think that the ship is so big that people are dispersed throughout and never jammed up in one spot. Even getting in the dining room or the buffet were no problem.

Terri

We have always been able to cruise "off season"....I never had a problem taking my kids out of school for a week in order to experience something new (of course they were always good students and never had a problem keeping up)...but our next cruise will be for New Year's Eve and I fully expect it to be booked to the rafters! I have to think that when one cruises has a lot to do with the number of people, although I have heard that most cruises now sail fully booked...so who knows? Oh well, I don't care...I can always escape to my balcony.

If crowds bother you I would, definitely, stay away from the "freebies"...such as the Captain's Cocktail Party, Past Guest Party etc....the Captain's Cocktail Party (aboard The Conquest) was the only time I have ever felt the crush of the crowd. I have claustrophobia, in crowds, and had to leave....but that was the only time.

Most recently, we have felt that the ships were over crowded. On our most recent cruise on the MS Imagination the ship seemed to be wall to wall people with extreemely long lines at the buffets.

We leave on the Imagination Thursday and from what I hear she is sold out. When we get back I'll let you know...

My wife and I have been cruising for well over 15 years. While we have cruised most of the major lines, the majority of our trips have been Carnival. On the vast majority we have had an excellent experience. Most recently, we have felt that the ships were over crowded. On our most recent cruise on the MS Imagination the ship seemed to be wall to wall people with extreemely long lines at the buffets.

My understanding is that Carnival sails with all of its cabins full every single week. However there's a big difference in the number of passengers between low season and high season sailings.

During low season, even though all the cabins might be taken, all the berths in each cabin will not be filled (you're allowed to book a cabin that holds 4 people even if only 2 people will be traveling in it).

During high season, the only way to get a cabin that holds 4 people, is if 4 people are going to be traveling it. This means that during the high season you can definitely expect more crowds because every single berth on the ship will be taken.

For example, on the Imagination, even though it lists it's capacity as 2,052 (double occupancy), during the summer you will actually be traveling with 2,658 (or roughly an extra 600 passengers) since this is the full berth capacity.

Archived