Pre-cruise in Sydney or Auckland?

Stacey779

We're going on an Australia/New Zealand cruise later this year, but we're planning on flying in about 3 days in advance to do some extra sightseeing. The problem is I can't decide between doing this in Sydney or Auckland. Any suggestions? It seems like Sydney has a lot to do in the city itself (Opera House, bridge climb, etc.), but in Auckland most of the things I've looked at doing are far away from the city (glowworm caves, Bay of Islands, etc.). I'd love to have more time, but my husband and I both work so we can't get that much time off. Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Sydney, for all the reasons you mention - and more! The fact that there is so much to see and do in the city itself is going to give you more time because you'll waste less of it travelling to and from the places you want to see. You'll have less time than you think, because you'll have to spend a little time dealing with the unavoidable jet lag.

Definitely Sydney. It is a wonderful city that I look forward to returning to in the future. We were there for 2 days on a post-cruise, but could have used more. We also had a pre-cruise in Aukland. A lovely city, but Sydney is the place if you can only visit one. You can see pictures and read the review of our Down Under Cruise at our website www.thepreismans.com .

I agree...Sydney unless you want to travel around the North Island. We spent a week in Sydney some years ago and still didn't do all that we wanted to do - there are also lots of things to see and do within a couple of hours of the city. One of our favorite cities...will be there in a couple of weeks... yea!

Sheila,

I just looked at your blog. It is quite nice. It sounds like you will have a wonderful time. Australia, NZ, French Polynesia and Hawaii. All place I can't wait to return to. I know you will have a great time, especially in Dunedin with Arthur's Tours.

Thanks, Mike. This is a wonderful trip for us since we've been to many of the 'required' tourist attractions before. We get to return to some of our favorite spots and enjoy new ones and this time see old friends as well as make new ones. What a trip! I hope to post to the blog as we go along...depending on Internet access....Stay tuned!

Archived