Captain Larry vs. Captain Jack

UF G8R

We booked with Capt Jack,...I had a poor experience with Orca last year over my deposit..WHICH I got back though my credit card company...I just found that Orca was very unprofessional and hard to communicate with...Capt Jack and his daughter have really been on top of things and we are looking forward to our whale watch..

I had thought I would book our family of 4 adults with Captain Jack in Juneau because the gaurantee of no-seasickness appealed to me. My sister-in-law's son recomends Captain Larry. Any advice?

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can "guarantee" no sea sickness. As much as I have heard good things about Captain Jack, such guarantees make me leery. I definitely would not make my decision based on that - at the least ask him how/why he can make such guarantees when the other companies can't.

John

the day i was in auke bay, there would have been no gty. water was rough, many smaller boats weren't out...i was with capt larry and had a great trip. when we got off the shuttle and saw the white caps, we were surprised the whale watching wasn't cancelled. we have been in worse, for sure, but it was hard to get good photos.

Perhaps the "guarantee" is based on the idea that if the sea is too rough you might have an option of just not going? Ask your host, at the time you are booking, about cancellation policy due to weather, on any trip or tour you are taking up here! This is the not called The Last Frontier for nothing and some who are not in it for just the money will cancel for weather for boats, planes, or even the odd road trip. Some will just take you out in wind or fog because you prebooked and they just want the money! Caveat emptour! DD

I have not heard of Cpt Jack before last year??? Some vendors have switched over from fishing cpts. So that may be a factor to also consider, how much experience with whale watching??

I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises and definately disagree with the "unprofessional" comment above. They are a long standing whale priority company. No company is perfect and they have many satisfied customers over the the 10 years they have been in business.

the small boats sell out..with only 6 passengers..well, you can imagine. ocra has a office at the docks..otherwise, the others work out of their home. i don't know of any others. the ports do have some tours at near athe docks, but not the lines of booths like in hawaii or some caribbean ports. if it's important, book it before you go.

the small boats sell out..with only 6 passengers..well, you can imagine. ocra has a office at the docks..otherwise, most of the smal boat vendors work out of their home. the ports do have some tours at/ near the docks, but not the lines of booths like in hawaii or some caribbean ports. if it's important, book it before you go.

• Administrators
Capt. Larry has been quick to answer my numerous emails. We booked with him for our August cruise.

That's been my experience so far, too, even though I had read about some past issues with communications here on the boards. At least for me, Capt. Larry has been very prompt with email replies, and I found the lady at the office number (during office hours) very pleasant and quite fun to talk with. I don't have a "final official confirmation email" at this time, but have an phone conversation saying one will be coming, an email from Larry confirming that we are booked and a final confirmation will be coming, and I'm good with that. Once I have a credit card bill with this trip on it I'll breathe easier, and a bit closer to our trip I'll be expecting a finalized booking, but so far I trust their professionalism, and the zillion reviews I've read here on the boards.

Vendors/guides/companies who have been in Alaska for a long time have had a bit of "learning curve" to catch up to the internet, sites like CC, automatic online bookings, and the explosion of Alaska tourism. Personally, I really liked it when one of Larry's emails said that he was in Colorado at the moment, renovating a house. These are for the most part very hard working people who do a LOT of different things to make ends meet and put food on the table. Don't expect amazon.com. Research and phone call if need be (the internet has created a lot of voice-phobic consumers, I've noticed), and book in advance so you are guaranteed your spot. It probably helps to be a bit like me, with a little "snow on the roof," and remembering the old days, prior to the internet and insta-bookings and insta-confirmations. :)

When you go whale watching is there any one tour company that goes close to any of the glaciers while you are out in the water

No, all can offer you about the same viewing. There is "no" close up glaciers, and no tidal. I recall there being a hanging glacier, north of Auke Bay, that seen, name escapes me. Mendenhall is also seen.

Archived