Pre-cruise Family RV Trip - Itinerary Help

sdfamily

We are planning a 7 night RV trip before our s/b Carnival cruise from Whittier. I feel like I'm all over the place, so I thought I'd ask for some help.

Here's the parameters:

• we are traveling with my in-laws and boys 9, 6, and 18 months in two RVs
  • we're fairly seasoned travelers and plan all our own trips
  • first time cruisers
  • we live in San Diego, enjoy hiking, mountains (as we are at the ocean a lot), and the in-laws are going for the adventure (i.e. not to babysit)

So here's what I've come up with. I don't know yet where we'll overnight, but am just concentrating on the route.

- talkeetna

- denali

- fairbanks with possible detour to Chena Hot Springs

- Copper Center

- possible trip to Valdez if time permits

- Palmer for Independence Mine State Park

- back to Anchorage to catch 10 am train ride

I don't want to be too rushed as sometimes we move like a 'herd of turtles'. Some child always needs his shoes tied or diapers changed...:)

Does this look like a good plan? I realize it eliminates Seward, Kenai, etc. But, my thinking was that we'd probably hit those next trip (hopefully there is one) when the baby is older and we could do more boat and kayaking adventures.

Thanks for your input!

That sounds to me like an awfully lot of time on the road. We did it easily, but I would not have wanted to try it with an 18-month-old. I hope you'll plan on 3 nights in Denali. That way half of you could take the shuttle each day, while the other half stayed back with the younger children? In your place, I'd add either Fairbanks OR Seward and you can find things to entertain them in either of those places.

HAVE FUN!!!

My concern with Seward was that most of the really great experiences would be water based. I'd rather wait to visit that area when he is older, can swim, and not climbing railings.

My guidebook says that the Hatcher Patch road from Palmer to IMSP was paved in 2003.

I'll look into splitting the time between Denali and Seward.

Thanks for your help!

Overall you have too much for one week, not much time for any stays in the locations. Overall, I suggest 2 in Denali Park- but you'll need 3 with spliting- in NO way do I even remotely suggest you consider taking the 18 month old and probably the 6 year old on anything past the public road. IF you are not considering the shuttle bus to Fish Creek/Eielson, in my opinion, there is little reason to stop there. Fairbanks is a 2 night stop, plenty to see and do. The drive down to Valdez, needs a night in between and ideally at least a full day in Valdez, then another full day driving back to Anchorage. Add it up. Hatcher Pass is paved to the Independence Mine from Palmer side, but it is all twists and turns, needing extra time -be sure to factor it in.

Some further thoughts- what is your plan for Copper Center?? It really isn't enough to just go there- a significant reason is for fishing, fly ins to McCarthy/Kennicott, etc. The most scenic portion is Glennallen to Valdez.

Another area- Chena Hot Springs?? Again, determine if you want to spend valuable time going back and forth to a "resort" with odorous swimming??? :)

As only a suggestion- you may want to consider Denali Park and Seward as already mentioned, with an afternoon stop perhaps in Talkeetna, and spending at least an overnight in Seward. Definately plenty to see and do there. Or, look at Denali park, Anchorage, Fairbanks as an itinerary. I wouldn't look at much more. You've made a fantastic decision with 2 RV's, they will work out wonderful and give you plenty of ad lib stops along the way. The ready bathroom and fridge will also work out perfectly. I just think you are going to need less marathon, on the road time?

Yes, I run screaming with the words 'toddler' and 'shuttle bus'. We would probably try to get a campground spot in Denali. The TAK campground had some warning about 'bears and small children'. That concerned me a bit. I'm not sure we would want to spend 3 nights in Denali so that we could spread out the shuttle bus trips. Most likely we would just enjoy trying to get a glimpse of Denali, which I understand is best visible from outside the park. Is it worth spending 3 nights there just to do the shuttle bus?

I just picked Copper Center because it was in between Fairbanks and Valdez. It could just as easy be Glenallen. Fairbanks might be a must do as my father-in-law was stationed there in Air Force. I'll double check. If we did talkeetna, denali, fairbanks and spread the 7 nights out over those destinations, how would we get to/from fairbanks without backtracking?

Maybe up to denali, down to Seward, and back towards Anchorage would give us time to 'do more' activites......

I could possibly take the kids out of school earlier if I needed to....

Yes, I run screaming with the words 'toddler' and 'shuttle bus'. We would probably try to get a campground spot in Denali. The TAK campground had some warning about 'bears and small children'. That concerned me a bit. I'm not sure we would want to spend 3 nights in Denali so that we could spread out the shuttle bus trips. Most likely we would just enjoy trying to get a glimpse of Denali, which I understand is best visible from outside the park. Is it worth spending 3 nights there just to do the shuttle bus?

I just picked Copper Center because it was in between Fairbanks and Valdez. It could just as easy be Glenallen. Fairbanks might be a must do as my father-in-law was stationed there in Air Force. I'll double check. If we did talkeetna, denali, fairbanks and spread the 7 nights out over those destinations, how would we get to/from fairbanks without backtracking?

Maybe up to denali, down to Seward, and back towards Anchorage would give us time to 'do more' activites......

I could possibly take the kids out of school earlier if I needed to....

If your priority is only the "glimpse" of McKinley, then, I suggest maybe only one night there, -Denali park, the significant reason to go there is for the scenery and wildlife- IN the park- via bus- which doesn't sound like you are doing?? If this indeed is a priority, you need to consider Talkeetna, this is some of the best viewing, and the flightseeing is a must to be sure to see McKinley. There can be days with no viewing. Last trip I went, it was 6 between views. Activities around Denali Park are limited, especially for small children.

OK, what is your reason for Fairbanks to Glennallen (which has nothing) ??? This is an ok scenic drive, but again, with only a week, your time may be better spent elsewhere?

You would be backtracking, if you went Talkeetna, Denali Park Fairbanks. That's how it is, and actually different scenery depending on direction.

As only a suggestion- please further look at destinations, and find out more about them. Then determine the list of priority depending on your group and go with that.

7 days isn't a lot, you need to be realistic and route out for time at destinations of interest to your group.

As only a suggestion- please further look at destinations, and find out more about them. Then determine the list of priority depending on your group and go with that.

I agree with BQ, and a way to do this would be to get a copy of Frommers Alaska or Fodors Alaska. Your library should have them, and if not, you can get an inexpensive copy a couple years old on Amazon. It will be a GREAT way to see all your choices.

Ok, I think I've eliminated Fairbanks. We'll be there over the summer solstice .Traveling with 3 children and no nighttime, sounds like a drag.

I made a list of the things that I think we, as a family, would be interested in. We like small towns and 1-2 hour hikes over adventure flights, etc.

Seward - Sea Life Discovery Center (we have season passes to Sea World, would we see anything different here?) I'm trying to talk in-laws into going early and doing Kenai Fjord Tour.

Hope - hiking along Turnagain Arm

Girdwood - Alyeska Tram, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (nearby?)

Mat-Su Valley - Reindeer farm, Musk Ox Farm, Independence Mine State Park

Talkeetna - River trip (maybe w/o baby)

Denali - just day visit to visitor center, dogs and hiking

My questions are:

Some of us would like to do a glacier trek - maybe with MICA guides as day trip from Mat-Su Valley?

Worth going to Denali w/o bus ride?

Any small towns that I'm missing?

Does this seem better than original trek?

Thanks for your help!

Do you know what gas costs in Alaska?

The RV's should have black out shades on the windows, but to make sure the children do go to sleep at the right time, be sure to have black plastic trash sacks and tape to cover the windows!

Don't try to drive so much. At the peak season the traffic will slow you down.

The Midnight Sun used to drive our mother crazy as we wanted to stay awake and play. It is too tempting.

sdfamily--

It looks like you've changed your itinerary to take in more of where you're going, with less time spent just getting there. While we decided to go to Tek campground with our RV, we don't have to stay 3 nights (and don't plan on it), but we are planning to stay a night at either Talkeetna or closer to just outside Denali NP. We are planning on just enjoying (stopping and taking pictures) of the scenery as we get to all these places. Last night we watched a video of Denali--it looked nice. I'm also glad we purchased head bug nets for mosquitoes. In fact, I'm considering getting permethrine ahead of time and treating some of our clothing so we don't need to deet up all the clothes, just what's left exposed.

I think when our kids were little, we were sure to bring along our own toddler fitting "head's up" type flotation jacket. You may want to pack one just in case you decide to do anything on the water, or edge of it.

The price of gas in San Diego today was 3.17 which is actually more than the price in Alaska (http://www.alaskagasprices.com). Doesn't some of the gas come from Alaska....

Will be sure and bring the garbage bags and duct tape...thx

I have been told several times by residents, none of the Prudhoe oil goes to the US. Maybe others can confirm??

I made a list of the things that I think we, as a family, would be interested in. We like small towns and 1-2 hour hikes over adventure flights, etc.

Seward - Sea Life Discovery Center (we have season passes to Sea World, would we see anything different here?) I'm trying to talk in-laws into going early and doing Kenai Fjord Tour.

Hope - hiking along Turnagain Arm

Girdwood - Alyeska Tram, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (nearby?)

Mat-Su Valley - Reindeer farm, Musk Ox Farm, Independence Mine State Park

Talkeetna - River trip (maybe w/o baby)

Denali - just day visit to visitor center, dogs and hiking

My questions are:

Some of us would like to do a glacier trek - maybe with MICA guides as day trip from Mat-Su Valley?

Worth going to Denali w/o bus ride?

Any small towns that I'm missing?

Does this seem better than original trek?

Thanks for your help!

There is no comparism to Sea World and the Alaska Sealife. You probably could skip it.

Girdwood- the Animal Conservation is nearby, also consider a stop at the Portage Glacier Visitor Center, some good hiking too.

"Small towns" are not going to be what you think. :) And they are few.

Matanuska Glacier Trekking is excellent and a "bargain" option, with no fly in. Can easily be done as a day trip from MatSu or Anchorage.

Good hiking in Alaska State Park, Little Coal Creek, mile 164 Parks Highway, another- Eagle River Nature Center. The Sled dog museum in Wasilla, usually has Reddington dogs giving the bargain cart rides. Only a few minutes, but does give an experince. Eklutna Spirit House tours, although may not be of interest for kids, is excellent giving an informative look at native culture. It's worth a pull off for a look at the cementary. Thunderbird Falls hike, other side of highway for Eklutna exit.

Archived