Hair Braiding

Viper

Two suggestions for you. Bring a fine toothed comb of your own to have them use on her hair (they won't mind) and bring along spray sunscreen to spray on her scalp. My daughters scalp burned really bad being at a beach one day and she was miserable for a couple days from the discomfort and the itching!!

I always get my hair braided (top only) while on vacation. It makes taking care of your hair effortless. Usually the cost of the braids depends on if you have the entire head done, or partial head done. I get the crown of my head done and it usually runs about 1.00 per braid. I try to get at least 20 braids put in. This price is in mazatlan, but it runs pretty much the same everywhere I have seen.

Things you should know are:

1. spray sunscreen is a must!

2. don't use conditioner when shampooing the braids (causes breakage)

3. it is going to itch!

4. If you get the beads put in, think about when the little girl lays down to sleep, they can be uncomfortable to sleep on. Make sure they are low enough or high enough to clear the pillow so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Two suggestions for you. Bring a fine toothed comb of your own to have them use on her hair (they won't mind) and bring along spray sunscreen to spray on her scalp. My daughters scalp burned really bad being at a beach one day and she was miserable for a couple days from the discomfort and the itching!!

I would be leery of those tables setup along the "strip" ashore. I would wonder what sterilization of their combs and other instruments is done. I am sure they do not adhere to the same standards you would expect at your home beauty shop. So, my advice is, make sure to check them out..... ;)

Have never seen hair braiding offered on board Carnival - only on shore, as all others have stated. Disney had offered hair braiding on board - very sanitary, very expensive!! We used to have both our dd's hair braided (just a few braids, to "shut them up") but the damage the braids did to their hair after leaving the braids in for only 1 week was unbelievable. They now know that hair braiding is a no-no. But, if I were to have it done again, I would follow everyone's advice above - especially the "bring your own comb" one, as you don't want to pick up any critters on vacation.

Our girls had their hair done in Roatan, If I remember correctly. About 20 each. We had it done later in the week so it wouldn't be in hair very long. They wanted to be able to go to school and show their friends when they got back from the cruise. It worked out. They got their braids and I was happy that it wasn't in long enough to damage their hair.

Archived