Tipping

obxer

Although we are first timers on carnival and the tipping is put on our Ship card, I was thinking of tipping the room steward a little extra at beginning of trip. Some have said this is a nice gesture, some have said it will insure extra good service, and some have said this is insulting to the steward and should not be done. We are confused. Any input?

We do not tip the steward at the start of the cruise. Bad taste in my opinion. But we do give a very nice tip at the end of the cruise and personally thank them for everything. We did leave a note asking that our beer bucket be filled with ice everyday at the start of our cruise with a $5 tucked under the note. We had fresh ice morning and night for our bar setup for the entire cruise. But we save the big tip for the end of the cruise.

We always ask our room steward for extras upon boarding. And he is always rewarded at that time. This what we choose to do. Others choose differently. You will know once you have your own experience which is right for you. Hope you have a wonderful first cruise....

I think anyone would be happy to get a tip at the end, the middle or the start of your cruise. These guys and girls are there to earn a living, not out of the goodness of their hearts. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not doubting their commitment to customer service, but if you think folk are offended by giving them cash then you overestimate them. It's very quaint to think that you'd get the same level of service whether you tip up front or not, but that's simply not the case. I can assure you that the difference in people pre, and post tip can be amazing.

Go ahead and tip up front, they'll appreciate it, and you, and you'll be almost certain to get great service. If you don't get it, they don't get another tip at the end.

Although we are first timers on carnival and the tipping is put on our Ship card, I was thinking of tipping the room steward a little extra at beginning of trip. Some have said this is a nice gesture, some have said it will insure extra good service, and some have said this is insulting to the steward and should not be done. We are confused. Any input?

Some time it works sometimes it don't. Most times for us it has

Bob

Any input?

When I waited tables (in a land-based restaurant, many moons ago), tipping before ordering was usually viewed as just a coy way of announcing that you were a finicky customer who was bound and determined to find fault with something -- which was almost always something out of the server's control. I can't speak for stewards, obviously, but I dreaded those "early tippers."

Caro

I always disagree with when someone considers giving cash early as insulting. If you want to call it a bribe, now we're nitpicking and overreacting.

If you want to tip early, go ahead. I have yet to have someone tell me they were "insulted" by such a gesture. Cash is cash no matter when they receive it.

Archived