Will we miss Hobart?

Stacey779

Okay, I realize these things are impossible to predict, but it seems like a lot of reviews I read regarding the 12-day Princess sailings that stop in Hobart encounter rough waters in the Tasman Sea and end up having to skip that port altogether. This stop would be one of the main reasons why we might select the 12-night Princess itinerary over the Celebrity 14-night sailing (my husband really wants to see Port Arthur). Celebrity does not include Hobart, however, they do include Wellington and Napier while Princess does not (along with only 4 sea days vs. 5 on Princess). I’m wondering if anyone knows how often this happens (skipping Hobart), and if it happens at certain times of the year more than others. We’ll be going in December (this is the only time we can both get time off from work). Any advice on what itinerary to choose? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post…

I haven't looked at the Millie itinerary for next season, but we just got off the Mercury 1/20 Syd-Auk and we did stop in Hobart. The Auk-Syd does not. It may be the same next season and you could get to Hobart leaving from Syd. We had a great time on our 14-night cruise.

Amazingly, the Tasman Sea crossing was totally calm, but the first night out of Sydney was extremely rough. It started at 6 right after we pulled away from the pier and we were already rocking and rolling all through main seating. I reeled back to the cabin, fortunately down low and toward the center of the ship (4039), and took a Bonine. Stayed in bed, with the TV on and no reading, all evening. I took another pill the next morning and never did get sick, but lots of people did, including the comedian entertainer. He threw up (offstage) during the first show and came back to finish, but didn't finish the later show. DH never gets queasy, but neither of us wanted to try to stay on our feet to get to the theater and sit up on deck 7 for the show. Glad we stayed in.

Over all, it was a great cruise and we're glad we went in spite of the long flights. I will say we were glad we came in a day early. Some pax barely made it in time for sailing and had planned to come in a day early, but flight delays were murder. I wouldn't ever consider coming in the day of boarding even if the ship didn't sail right away. :eek:

Our itin:

Arrived 1/19 in Sydney 1 night in Hilton before boarding the ship. Ship sailed 1/21.

At sea

Melbourne

At sea

Hobart

Sea

Sea,

Sea, Milford, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds (Fjords) Not impressive,

unless you've never seen any others. Milford was the only one with flowing waterfalls. The others were dried up due to drought. You could see the white slashes where they had been, but nothing flowing. I compare all fjords to Norway and these are not even close. They might have been if the waterfalls were flowing. Maybe they will be in Dec.

Dunedin

Christchurch

Wellington

Sea--Volcanic White Island--interesting, but essentially a huge rock with steam vents. Not worth staying out on deck or on your balcony the whole two hours and missing the last formal night, with room service at 7:30 like one couple had planned. :eek:

Tauranga

Aukland We stayed 2 extra nights at the Hilton and toured around the one full day with someone we know who lives near there.

Our TA booked us into the Hilton Aukland on our own, not through X and it was a lot cheaper, but we didn't get breakfast free. The hotel is actually connected to the ship terminal and a short walk using a free luggage trolley from the terminal. We took the super shuttle (ordered by concierge) to the airport, $29 for two. Discount cab is $35.

Make sure you do your Australian visa (ETA) before you leave home. If your TA does it for you it's free, if you do it it's $20 Aud. There is a link to the website somewhere on this board.

You will be forced to pay $25 pp departure fee from NZ. I think that's whether you leave from the airport or ship.

We had pretty good excursions, but the all-day ones involved a lot of bus time since everything is so spread out.

I'm sure you will have a great time, whatever you choose. We're glad we got in on Mercury's "guinea pig" season. It was so well-received that Millie is taking over next season and the price has doubled. :eek:

Happy cruising!

Sea, Milford, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds (Fjords) Not impressive,

unless you've never seen any others. Milford was the only one with flowing waterfalls. The others were dried up due to drought. You could see the white slashes where they had been, but nothing flowing. I compare all fjords to Norway and these are not even close. They might have been if the waterfalls were flowing. Maybe they will be in Dec.

Kathie, I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. Come again!

I would like to point out that, while some parts of Australia have been cooler than usual, NZ is experiencing an unusually warm and dry summer. This year we have a La Nina weather pattern, which has resulted in drought in the usually wetter regions on NZ's west coast. It isn't unusual for the east coasts of NZ to have drought in the summer, but this year they have had some rain, while western regions are dry - the driest summer for over 100 years.

We live on the west coast of the North Island and we have only had rain on 2 days since the beginning of December. The west coast of the South Island, usually notoriously rainy, is also dry. That's why the waterfalls in the Fiords are dried up, too.

Next year, "normal service" could be resumed ;), and the fiords will probably be wet again.

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed your post regarding some of the Princess ships skipping Hobart and thought I would add a quick response. We cruised on the 12 day Sapphire Princess run from Auckland to Sydney on 1/21.

We had also seen some of the comments from folks last year regarding the rough seas and were also concerned, but it appears that so far this year Princess has not missed port. (yet) We did have very rough seas sailing from Milford Sound to Hobart but we did make it. The two days at sea were interesting to say the least and not for the sea weary. The weather was pleasant but one evening we had gale force winds and you could not go outside. The port side of the Promenade Deck was wet almost all day and the pools were closed for safety reasons. The ship for most of the two day crossing was rolling for and aft pretty good and one of the Production shows in the main theater was postponed to another night when the ship wasn't bouncing as much.

Information from the ship's log indicated they were using their stabilizer fins pretty much all the way across the Tasman Sea so I would wonder what it would have been like without them!

Hobart was wonderful and we loved our day there. It seemed like just about everyone got off the ship that day. I'm not sure if it was because they were that happy to see Hobart or just to get onto solid ground after bobbing across the Tasman for 2 days! It certainly helps that Hobart has a very convenient port where you can just pretty much walk into town if you don't want to wander off on an organized tour.

One thing we thought about afterward, if you did the Princess itinerary, try to pick one of the 12 day cruises that goes from Sydney to Auckland. You would hit Hobart from Melbourne and would most likely not risk missing port. Past issues were always on the Auckland to Sydney route where you had to fight the Tasman Sea for 2 days to get there.

Enjoy whichever cruise you choose. We loved Tasmania and look forward to going back and spending more time.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the Sydney to Auckland. We just returned from the Sapphire Princess 2/2 sailing and although we experienced some rocking and rolling, we were able to dock @ all scheduled ports, including Hobart.

The seas are always unpreditable, but however you choose, it will certainly be an experience that you will simply ENJOY!.

Pinkie

The Tasman sea is the 2nd roughest in the world. My hubby informed me several times prior to our cruise, he has sailed all over the world. It didn't really make me want to jump on a ship but I preferred that to a smaller boat. We were quite lucky but it's all part of the adventure and cruising - there are no guarantees! My hubby reckons that you have a 90% chance of getting into port in Tazzy:p. I do recommend pure ginger tablets as they take away the nausea if it gets rough.

Hobart is definitely a great port of call...have to see the Tasmanian Devil! We sailed on the Sapphire Princess out of Auckland on 2/14 and we made all our ports! The seas were typically rough through the area, but with Bonnine I did not have any problems! I believe we had about 18+ seas, but I think most people were prepared with ginger or other type remedies.

Definitely plan on at least 2 pre and 2 post days. Several people wound up with all kinds of delays or luggage delays and the extra days make it easier to cope with the time changes! Both cities are worth the time to see. We spent 4 days in Sydney, and could have stayed longer there was so much to do! The days at sea were a real relieve from the long vigorous tours of the port days! If you are going that far it is worth the time at each end.

Be prepared for changeable weather, we needed more warm weather clothing and less tropical...didn't get much warm weather on our trip!

You will love whichever you select! Have fun!!

Archived