Pride of Aloha 10 day cruise review

mbisson

Got back yesterday really early AM, from Hawaii (sailing Jan 23-Feb 2). Had a wonderful time. There were many who complained about the cruise when I met them on board but overall we were pleased. Guess I was lucky and didn't share the problems that some had. Here's a quick rundown of our experience:

Arrival/Checkin/Embarkation:

Could not have been better! To begin, our plane arrived about 20 minutes early (landed about 12:30 in the afternoon). Baggage claim was a snap and only about 25 minutes after leaving the plane, we were outside waiting for a Roberts shuttle (which arrived in about another 30 minutes). $5 pp one way to the ship. Once there-WOW! We breezed thru checkin. We're gold latitudes members and the suites/VIP/Latitudes Gold and Platinum checkin is a small separate area a few feet away from the regular checkin line. I'd like to say we had no wait, but there was one couple in line ahead of us. After we were checked in James, the Concierge, greeted us and explained the services he would provide. Total time from Plane landing to being on the ship--LESS THAN 2 HOURS-AMAZING (closer to an hour and a half).

Our cabin:

Our cabin was a standard inside on deck 10 under the pool area. Only noticed noise from above a couple times (I think we might've been directly under the shuffleboard area).

Upon entering the cabin I immediately noticed our "welcome aboard basket" with fruit and a bottle of wine. I don't know if the wine is a standard item in the basket or if it's the one my PCC said she would send when we booked with her. Either way-we enjoyed the Chardonnay!

We had expected to bring my sister in law with us, so I booked a cabin for 4 knowing that even that would be cramped. We sailed the Aloha when she was the Norwegian Sky a few years ago so I knew exactly what I was getting into. The cabin could use a bit more cabinet space but we got by and kept some items in our suitcases which we would slide under the bed (using the suitcases somewhat like drawers themselves).

We had an excellent cabin steward. Service was prompt, good and we had several towel animals-what more could we want?

Tendering Ports:

James had our Priority VIP Tender tickets delivered to our cabin the night before we arrived at ports that required tendering. It was done automatically and we never had to request them. Worked like a charm BUT I did feel bad (in a way ) for barging past guests who had lined up to board tenders and heard a few "just who do you think you are comments".

Excursions/Car rentals & such:

I can't comment about the NCL excursions as I didn't use them. BUT--our first port was KONA and we went on the Historic Kona tour with Roberts. Our price was $25 pp. Basically the same excursion thru NCL was about $50. Another company (Polynesian Adventure Tours - Gray Line) was selling the tour at the dock for those who didn't book with them in advance for $18. I can't speak for Gray Line, but if you are on a Roberts tour and they don't get you back to the ship on time, they guarantee to pay your expenses, (including transportation, food and lodging if necessary) to get you to the next port to catch the cruise. It's a guarantee that we didn't have to use

We rented cars in the remaining ports with no problems at all EXCEPT for one. At the end of the cruise we sailed back to Honolulu and did an on-board overnight there. On the first morning we had a rental reservation with Hertz. We went to their shuttle at about 9am and had the car just before 10. The rental office was only a few blocks from the ship and they don't open until 9 BUT they close at 5PM. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but we were scheduled to do an all day tour of Pearl & Honolulu with drop off at our hotel for a couple of days in Waikiki afterward so the car would have to be back before the tour started.

The Hertz agent said "No problem. Take the car to the airport when we need to turn it in. If there aren't any shuttles running we'll deduct $10 from the rental to get you back to the ship". Well, we basically drove around the island, stopping the see the sights, take pictures and visit the Dole Plantation. Knowing it would be dark sometime around 6 we were back in Honolulu at 5:30, too late to return the car where rented, so we went directly to the airport. $25 drop off fee that the agent had neglected to mention and we had to argue for the $10 reduction (the shuttle was running but not to the pier). Finally got the $10 but the cab fare was $25. Oh well, lesson learned-if I do it again, I'll make sure that our rental is from an airport facility.

All of our car rentals were booked in advance with Roberts Hawaii at $35 per day (there was an additional $5 in taxes when we picked up the cars)

DINING and DINING ROOM SERVICE:

This is such a subjective subject I am hesitant to even bring it up, but here goes and remember this is my opinion only.

Overall, we were more than pleased. I had one meal which I didn't like, but it was an item I had never had before so it could've been fine (and maybe I just don't like it). Some of the items we had in the main rooms were: Prime Rib (good), Beef Wellington (despite what some have said it is there one night and was also good), Rare Mahi Mahi (somewhat overcooked), Lobster Tail (it was also a good "eat" and I paired it up with the Prime Rib & made my own 'surf & turf' meal), schezwan duck stir fry (that's the one I didn't care for). BTW-the "always available" turkey dinner was also good.

Service in the main room (to us) was varied. The first night we had what may be the worst waiter I've experienced at sea (now14 cruises) in the Crossings Dining room. A couple sitting with us (who we saw on several other occasions) refused to go back to that dining room fearing they would have him again. I'll just say he was way too informal, to me, even for a dining room that would allow jeans. I thought he would sit down an put up his feet LOL. Then he actually started to insult the other couple (I'm sure he meant it as jokes, but it just didn't come out that way). Other than that experience though, we had good to excellent servers in the main dining rooms.

I've seen some say that it took them up to 3 hours to eat in the main dining rooms. All I can say is that by eating early (just after the initial rush) or by waiting until just after the first show in the showroom none of our dinners took more than 2 hours, most took less than one and a half. I almost felt rushed.

We also had one additional charge meal in Pacific Heights. I went with the Mahi Mahi there and it just may have been the best fish meal I've eaten in my life (and I eat a lot of fish, usually salmon & halibut). Others raved about the sea bass.

For breakfasts on board, some days we did the main dining room, sometimes the buffet. We enjoyed both. Lunches were usually done ashore so I can't comment much except to say that if you're on board, Pacific Heights has a couple of outstanding ice cream selections each day. Try the Kona Coffee Ice cream with nuts and chocolate sauce-tastes like a snickers bar!

ENTERTAINMENT:

Typical NCL fare. But that's fine by us we enjoy it. Had a stand-up comic that obviously has no liking for families that cruise with children. Someday maybe he'll have one of his own.

The wife went to several of the cultural sessions with Iune (the on board Cultural Ambassador). Mrs Monte can now make 3 different kinds of leis (KuKui Nut, Ribbon, Flower) and I think they all look darn good.

We saw loads of whales from on board and I've whale watched enough in Alaska that we decided against doing a whale watch in the islands, in order to spend more time on the islands.

There was a Noro outbreak around the middle of the cruise that slowed service somewhat in the dining rooms and buffet. I have no idea how serious it was, but we thought they did a good job of fighting it.

We were unable to dock in Hilo due to the weather. I really wanted to see Volcano Natl Park so - Bummer-but now I have a reason to go back.

So without dwelling any deeper that's about it. The islands are truly beautiful and I can't wait to go back again, either on a land vacation or another cruise. I'm working on adding some photos to my webshots link but they're not up yet. I have 6 or 7 hundred to week thru so it might be a couple days.

Mahalo

-Monte

• Administrators

Monte, I've been SO looking forward to your review/impressions! Thank you for taking the time and I really enjoyed your perspective. I HATE that you missed Hilo and VNP. :( That was so much our favorite stop that when we go back for a land vacation we plan a return to VNP as our top priority in the week or so we'll spend on the BI. Ah well, like most of us, you now have a "next time" list! :)

I also appreciate your views as a sort of "reality check" for me. I don't think I'm a cheerleader for this cruiseline, but I DO think the intra-island Hawaiian cruises offer a product that cannot be beat for the price, and that other options involving North America's west coast aren't truly "competitive" -- what they offer is an entirely different experience, which may or may not suit a particular traveler's needs. NCLA has suffered greatly from their learning curve and start up experience, but for the last year or so seem to be putting out a genuinely good product and a good value. Whether they can overcome their poor start and achieve ultimate viability is anyone's guess, but I'm always so glad when I read a review from another experienced cruiser who recognizes this product for the real value that it is.

Again, thanks for taking the time -- but tell me -- did you leave the autotip in place even with the oh-so-casual waiter in the mix? BIG ;)

Again, thanks for taking the time -- but tell me -- did you leave the autotip in place even with the oh-so-casual waiter in the mix? BIG ;)

ROTFLMAO (I note your BIG ;) )-Michell you know me better than that, now do you think I would screw over the 9 good waiters, 10 good asst waiters, the waiters in the buffet and specialty dining rooms, my cabin steward and who know how many behind the scenes workers because of one guy. NO WAY IN H-E-double hockey sticks!

BTW though, I did have several waiters who had been transfered from the international (NCL) ships a cruise or two earlier and were being transfered to the Hawaii/Jade for it's return to the mainland & renaming as the Jade. I assume many of the US citizens working on the Hawaii would be swapping places with workers on both the Aloha and PoAM

Funny story--on the last night we sat with a fellow who complained about everything on the ship & off, including the weather. He was keeping a running tab of what he didn't like and was going to ask for a credit or another cruise. I just nodded and smiled, but when he complained about the food and followed that up with a comment about how he had to buy a new belt because he had let his original belt out so much from overeating--well I couldn't help myself and I laughed out loud.

• Administrators
ROTFLMAO (I note your BIG ;) )-Michell you know me better than that, now do you think I would screw over the 9 good waiters, 10 good asst waiters, the waiters in the buffet and specialty dining rooms, my cabin steward and who know how many behind the scenes workers because of one guy. NO WAY IN H-E-double hockey sticks!

BTW though, I did have several waiters who had been transfered from the international (NCL) ships a cruise or two earlier and were being transfered to the Hawaii/Jade for it's return to the mainland & renaming as the Jade. I assume many of the US citizens working on the Hawaii would be swapping places with workers on both the Aloha and PoAM

Funny story--on the last night we sat with a fellow who complained about everything on the ship & off, including the weather. He was keeping a running tab of what he didn't like and was going to ask for a credit or another cruise. I just nodded and smiled, but when he complained about the food and followed that up with a comment about how he had to buy a new belt because he had let his original belt out so much from overeating--well I couldn't help myself and I laughed out loud.

<cheer> for you on the tip thing -- I knew I could count on you to be in the "for the love of.... leave it on there and FORGET it!" camp. :)

I had read that NCLA received legislative concessions of some kind on crew citizenship, so that might have played in to the mix you saw as well.

The guy you were talking about at your table on the last night reminds me of the woman I encountered in the line at the purser's desk. She was completely irate about the fact that her sheets weren't changed daily. Until I asked her "oh.... is it a lot of work to change your sheets daily at home?" She got all red-faced and adjusted her venom spew to someone other than me. <shrug> It takes all kinds -- I just know that even though I have enough patience to teach elementary school, there's NO WAY I have enough to handle customer service with SOME of the people I've seen on cruises (and read here on the boards -- well not so much "here here" on the Hawaii board, but on the NCL boards and at Member Reviews).

You've got me laughing again.

I heard about that change in regulations as well, but in several of the cases I talked to the waiters and they specifically said they were being transfered to the Hawaii.

I think you're right about the boards. I find the port boards to normally be "nicer" than the cruise line boards.

Monte,

I hate to say it, but you were probably lucky you missed Hilo. We have been having the most dreadful weather. It has been very chilly for the last couple of weeks....actually downright cold for those of us who live here and have the thin blood. Temps falling into the 50's at night and mid to high 60's during the day....brrrrrrr. And, for the past week we have had torrential rains here on the Hilo side. There is one area just outside of Hilo that recorded 45 inches of rain (YES...almost 4 feet!!) in the past 5 days. Flooding everywhere....and chilly, gray and dreary. I have been feeling so sorry for all of the cruisers and tourists that I see around town. But, then I ran into some folks visiting from Minnesota...and they reminded me that the weather here was much better than what they left behind!! Love that kind of attitude.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Unfortunately, you experienced some of our nasty winter weather....but with winter also comes the wonders of watching the whales!!!

We really loved the Pride of Aloha...it just had a very Hawaiian, comfy feel to it. Hopefully we will be back on her soon.

Thanks for posting. Rest up a bit and then it is time to start planning your next visit to the islands.

Monte,

We really loved the Pride of Aloha...it just had a very Hawaiian, comfy feel to it. Hopefully we will be back on her soon.

Thanks for posting. Rest up a bit and then it is time to start planning your next visit to the islands.

Thank you for the kind wishes! The day we were to dock it was the wind that kept us out. Actually we had pulled in past the breakwater but the waves were coming over the top of it. Capt said we could have docked but with the forecast being worse, he was afraid the ship would either get beat up on the dock or he would have to leave without me.

We stayed a couple nights in Waikiki after the cruise and I saw on the news just how nasty it's been on the big island. Hope you guys recover soon. Those flash flood didn't look fun at all. It could have been worse than it was for us-the day after we drove to the Haleakala crater summit on Maui it was closed by snow (and later by that snow melting and running off)

As the terminator would say "I'll be bac"

take care

-Monte

Hi Monte,

I've been following these boards since I was lucky enough to book a cruise to Hawaii. Thankyou for taking the time to write a review. I loved reading it. I hope it's ok if I ask a few questions......

Is there any lava flowing into the sea yet? Is there a coffee maker or kettle in your cabin? I notice that the weather was too rough to dock in Hilo ( Im sorry too that you didnt get to see VNP.:( ) so how lumpy was the sea everywhere else? Did you need to use sea sickness tables? -I get seasick really easily so very curious about this subject.

Since I am a bit shy to chat on here I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone else who contributes to these board as it is really helpful.

Mahalo

Fiona

:)

Hi Fiona

Don't be shy-just feel free to join the fun! No lava flowing to the sea yet. Our cabin DID NOT have a coffee maker or kettle of of any sort (which I'll admit sort of surprised me). A few times, we put out the AM room service card and asked that they deliver coffee/OJ & such and used that as our wakeup service. Delivery was prompt and within a couple minutes of when we specified with a phone call alerting us prior to delivery (that let's me cover myself and not "shock" the delivery person ;) )

I didn't need any seasick pills of any sort-but if you are subject to getting seasick you might want to take some precautions. I did hear several people complain about how rough the ship was, but I've been on a lot rougher (and didn't see or hear of anyone actually getting seasick on this cruise).

BTW-here's one other thing that I see comes up on the boards from time to time--TV. The Aloha had both Fox News & CNN throughout the cruise. Also, it wasn't listed in the little paper of channels they receive, but the Honolulu CBS affiliate was available throughout the cruise as on ships channel 41, the other networks were not available. ESPN was available in the stateroom & sports bar. ESPN News and Classics were available in the sports bar.

I appreciate your thoughts about our missing Hilo & VNP-but that's just part of cruising. The Capt did a nice job of taking us out to areas with some great sightseeing and we saw a few whales that day as well. We also had some excellent views of the Pride of America (with her "armor plated bow look" she's easy to spot). I always enjoy seeing another cruise ship at sea.

Something I don't think I mentioned here was that I normally buy a Tee or Hat in the gift shop with the ships Name/logo on it. Only one tee available on the Aloha that fit the bill (and it was IMO-UGLY) no hats. They did have a good assortment of more generic Hawaii tees that were for sale 1-$6 or 2-$10...but I saw the same tees ashore in about every port 6-$20. I think they'll last for at least one washing (LOL)

any more questions-just fire away!

-Monte

Hi Monte,

I've been following these boards since I was lucky enough to book a cruise to Hawaii. Thankyou for taking the time to write a review. I loved reading it. I hope it's ok if I ask a few questions......

Is there any lava flowing into the sea yet? Is there a coffee maker or kettle in your cabin? I notice that the weather was too rough to dock in Hilo ( Im sorry too that you didnt get to see VNP.:( ) so how lumpy was the sea everywhere else? Did you need to use sea sickness tables? -I get seasick really easily so very curious about this subject.

Since I am a bit shy to chat on here I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone else who contributes to these board as it is really helpful.

Mahalo

Fiona

:)

Monte,

Thanks foryour review. I will be there in about three weeks! I am from Maine and am wondering how the weather was? I have been reading about lots of rain? Should we bring any special clothing? How warm should we dress or not dress?? I just don't want to over pack like I usually do! Please help!

Joyce

I spent most of my time ashore in cargo shorts. I also brought the jacket with me that I wore to the airport to catch the flight to Hawaii but used it only once on the islands. If you check out my webshots photos (from my sig block below) you'll notice I was in shorts at the Haleakala summit. I probably should've had on a pair of jeans, but coming from temps around 0 here, it wasn't really bad (probably mid 40's the day we were there). It did snow there the day after we were there & the road was closed for 3 days.

We also had bought a couple of rain ponchos but didn't use them. IMO-seeing as you're from Maine it'll probably feel warm, but do bring a couple pairs of jeans (or whatever you wear when temps can be a bit chilly) and you'll be fine. Most days the temps around the shore got up to the mid/upper 70's. Whice I thought was great!

On board, I usually wore dockers and polo shirts.

- may be a double post... don't know what happened.

Monte,

I'm concerned that we could possibly miss the muster drill on the 2nd day in Honolulu this week. Should I be?

Again thanks for the review, and, your pictures are beautiful.

I've learned so much from this board.

Sue from Michigan, where it's -30 windchill...

(40's (on Haleakala) sound like the tropics)

- may be a double post... don't know what happened.

Monte,

I'm concerned that we could possibly miss the muster drill on the 2nd day in Honolulu this week. Should I be?

Again thanks for the review, and, your pictures are beautiful.

I've learned so much from this board.

Sue from Michigan, where it's -30 windchill...

(40's (on Haleakala) sound like the tropics)

Glad I could help (and glad you like the photos) and we thought of the weather the way you did. LOL

If you miss muster, there SHOULD be a makeup muster the next day so I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't have the makeup muster sounds to me like it's their fault and not yours. If me, I'd just make sure I knew where my station is and not sweat it if they don't have the makeup.

OOPS-I see from your posts on another thread, that you're actually concerned about missing muster AND the makeup. Still I wouldn't be concerned but I would probably let them know that you'll be on excursion and I bet they work out something with the safety officer. I'm probably being overly cautious though, I think many would just not bother. DON'T MISS PEARL! (I say that, but now that I've been to the Arizona, I don't think I can ever go back-TOO SAD for me to do it twice).

OOPS-I see from your other thread that you're actually concerned about missing muster and the makeup. Still I wouldn't be concerned but I would probably let them know that you'll be on excursion and I bet they work out something with the safety officer. DON'T MISS PEARL! (I say that, but now that I've been to the Arizona, I don't think I can ever go back-TOO SAD for me to do it twice)

Thanks so much for the great review. We will be boarding at about this time just 9 days from now. Really getting excited, as we leave in just 6 days for our 3 night pre-cruise on Oahu. I do have a few specific questions for you.

l. How many cruises do you need to be a Gold Latitudes member? I believe this will be our 7th on NCL.

2. What category of car did you rent? We have reserved through Dollar and your prices seem a little bit less than ours, but we have reserved mid-size vehicles as there will be 4 of us.

3. You said the on-board Cultural Ambassador was Iune. Could you possible have meant June and it was a typo? She was the Cultural Ambassador on our NCL Star Hawaii cruise in 2004 and she was wonderful. Hope it is her.

Thanks, Joy

Thanks so much for the great review. We will be boarding at about this time just 9 days from now. Really getting excited, as we leave in just 6 days for our 3 night pre-cruise on Oahu. I do have a few specific questions for you.

l. How many cruises do you need to be a Gold Latitudes member? I believe this will be our 7th on NCL.

2. What category of car did you rent? We have reserved through Dollar and your prices seem a little bit less than ours, but we have reserved mid-size vehicles as there will be 4 of us.

3. You said the on-board Cultural Ambassador was Iune. Could you possible have meant June and it was a typo? She was the Cultural Ambassador on our NCL Star Hawaii cruise in 2004 and she was wonderful. Hope it is her.

Thanks, Joy

Thanks, Joy

Hi Joy

Silver is 5-8 completed cruises, so you're almost to gold. Our cars were compacts-we were not upgraded, so that probably explains much of the price difference.

As for Iune, I have to laugh, Yes, it's June, but my spelling is how she told us it's properly spelled (no "J" in the Hawaii alphabet). I have a couple photos of her in my webshots link below if you want to see if it's possibly a different person with the same name. She was terrific and always happy to tell us tourists all about her island culture and history. I wish I could've learned more from her, but unfortunately many of her classes were while we were in port and I was off the ship.

Some of her comments had a bit of sexual innuendo to them that I didn't expect from her-But were they funny! (such as-"NCL wants me to use less expensive ribbon for the ribbon lei. I'm not going to because if you use cheap ribbon you get a cheap lei"). And don't even ask what she said when she gave out KuKui nuts!!! She could fill in for the comedian that headlined one night.

She did mention that for a time, someone else would be filling in for her, but that she would be back. I don't know when, but I hope she's there for your cruise.

I hope you have a great cruise! I wish I could go back (considering we got home less than 2 weeks ago, we must've had a good time :D )

-Monte

Hi everyone,

I have 17 days until I set foot in Hawaii! So excited! My husband and I really enjoy our music and have pondered taking our lap top with us to have some in our cabin. It is such a pain to bring though, does anyone know if there is any music available on the ship t.v? Maybe local stations in port? My hubby was even thinking maybe getting a small radio to bring thinking we should be able to pick up stations in each port?? ANY suggestions??

I was wondering if you could tell me approximately what time you were able to get off the ship in Hilo, Maui and Kona? Also how long it took to get your car rentals in those ports and also how long it took to return the car and get back to the ship. In Hilo and Kona especially we don't have as much time as I would like. Thanks. Joy

Monte,

Thanks foryour review. I will be there in about three weeks! I am from Maine and am wondering how the weather was? I have been reading about lots of rain? Should we bring any special clothing? How warm should we dress or not dress?? I just don't want to over pack like I usually do! Please help!

Joyce

I was there on the P of Hawaii during the same time period, and it was chilly. That said, longer shorts and a couple of layers on top was enough. One of my sister's friends told her to take the outer layer of her anorak for VNP and I talked her out of it in favour of a light windbreaker, and she was fine. We DID stand for quite a while by one of the steam vents, though!

Thanks for the review, Monte. I'm glad someone else is so positive about their NCLA experience. Maybe it's because I have kids in the same age group as many of the crew, but I thought that what the crew lacked in polish, they made up for in enthusiasm.

Viv

Archived