Drive between Tauranga to Rotorua

cruisetvl

Could anyone who had rented a car for sightseeing between the port in Tauranga and Rotorua tell me how the drive was? Was it difficult to drive on the opposite side? Were road signs clear? Were there a lot of traffic? Did you have a good map beforehand? Thanks for your help.

It is a very clear sign posted highway with nice rolling hills in the countryside. Good sealed roads with passing lanes. Depending on what rental car company you are using, but you could ask for a GPS, but I doubt you will need it. It is only approx 60 kms and wouldn't take an hour. You can download a map on www.aa.co.nz which will give you full directions. Enjoy your stay in beatiful NZ.

It is a very clear sign posted highway with nice rolling hills in the countryside. Good sealed roads with passing lanes. Depending on what rental car company you are using, but you could ask for a GPS, but I doubt you will need it. It is only approx 60 kms and wouldn't take an hour. You can download a map on www.aa.co.nz which will give you full directions. Enjoy your stay in beatiful NZ.

Thanks for your response and advice.

Could anyone who had rented a car for sightseeing between the port in Tauranga and Rotorua tell me how the drive was? Was it difficult to drive on the opposite side? Were road signs clear? Were there a lot of traffic? Did you have a good map beforehand? Thanks for your help.

We just came back from my cruise. We rented a car. When we got of the ship at 7:20AM, the car was there. It was estremly eesy. We were able to get not only to Rotorua but to the glowing warms cave (about 2 hour drive) We were able to get on the firsr tour and about 10:50 were on our way to Tauranga (another 2 hour drive) We were in Touranga by 1:30 and spent a half a day there. We used NZ road atlas, because the rep did not have maps for the caves.

We also rented from Pegasus in Tauranga. Debbie was waiting at the pier with all the paperwork and everything prepared for us to drive away almost immediately. It was painless!

We had a beautiful day for a fraction of the cost of the ship's tours and were able to do as we liked. Wonderful visit to Te Puia (Maori Performance, excellent guided tour, seeing the geysers, mud pools, etc.) On the way back we stopped at the Kiwi 360 (not worth much of a visit, but we didn't do the tour which seemed kind of expensive for what it was), and then spent time in Tauranga before returning the car at the pier. (You leave the keys with the security gateman)

Total price for car NZ$ 65 + entrance to Te Puia NZ$ 100 (for 2). N.B. Senior discounts in NZ and AUS are generally only for NZ and AUS citizens or residents.

The roads were well marked, easy to follow (just continue to remember to always look RIGHT first, then LEFT). We had rented a car in Auckland the week before Tauranga, and it was my husband's first time driving on the left side -- he mastered it wonderfully. And Auckland is much worse than getting out of Mt. Manganui!

Have a great trip.

Archived