Booking a guarantee ??

jadexx

Im currently booked in a Mini-suite when they asked if i wanted a room # or a guarantee i figured I would get a room #, because this is our honeymoon and some people are wanting to send gifts to our room. I later come to find out that the gifts are given under your booking # not your room # so my questions are:

Can I change from a room # to a guarantee?

If I do this, and people have already arranged for gifts to be sent to my room, will the figure out where to send them. Do you think Ill run into any problems doing this? Since I will not know what to expect as far as gifts go, I wouldnt know if something was missing, and I would hate for it to get lost in the mix and someone to never get thanked for it.

Lastly, what are my chances of getting a better room (im currently in D202) and what are my chances of getting a worse one? Do you think its worth taking the chance, or should i stick with what i have?

I can't really answer you about all the gift concerns you have but I can tell you I have never been visited by the upgrade fairy nor have any friends or family I have that have tried the guarantee option. If the gift issue is a concern to you, which it seems it is, then I would just stick to your room and wipe that concern from your mind and enjoy your honeymoon cruise.

In my humble opinion.

If it were me, I would just keep the cabin that you have. Upgrades from a mini suite to a higher category are very rare anymore. Many think that because they are celebrating a special occasion, that might increase their chances. Honeymoons, anniversarys, birthdays..................just keep in mind probably 25% of the ships passengers are there to celebrate something so it really doesn't come into play for the cruise line.

Your gifts would be re-directed to your new stateroom if you should chose to change to a guarantee though, or at least they are supposed to be re-directed.

I totally agree with sticking with the cabin you already have. We booked a guarantee and didn't know our room # until 5 days before we cruised. Some may like the anticipation but I will never book a guarantee again!! Although the cabin we were assigned was to our liking:) it was awful waiting daily to see our assignment. You will receive the gifts etc. that are sent to you but why would you want gifts sent to a ship so that you will have much more to pack?? Flowers yes, gifts I wouldn't choose to have any sent. Just my opinion.

Have a great cruise.

When we book by guarantee, it’s basically to save a few dollars. Again, I stress the term FEW.

I don’t think Princess will just “change” your booking. More than likely you will have to cancel the original cabin and start from scratch with the guarantee. Depending on your circumstances, there may be fees to pay for the cancelled booking that would cancel any potential savings.

For the potential savings of just a few dollars, I don’t see it worth the risk.

I have read on these boards of people switching booking arrangements, just to find themselves locked out of a cruise that “sold out” while juggling cabins.

I also would stick with what you have. Don't count on an upgrade by changing to a guarantee- by the way, wha ship?

As far as gifts - I can tell you from experience that if they do change your cabin, you very well might have your gifts delivered to the wrong cabin.

We ordered gifts for a group that was going on the Crown and one couple was upgraded at the last minute. Their gifts didn't get to them. Thank goodness I was on the cruise and made sure I had it corrected, but if I hadn't been there, they never would have known the gift didn't get there.

Not only did the gifts not get there, but their luggage was delivered to the old cabin too.

I would not trade a known cabin for a guarantee one unless the price were better.

The order form I've seen (here) has a place for both the cabin number and the booking number. When I ordered something for my uncle and aunt's honeymoon cruise, I did not have either number. I just knew the name of the ship and the date (and of course their names). They received my gift in their cabin and said it was a nice surprise.

Archived