Was bored...

tntornadox

That's a good looking ship. I like the central elevators. I agree that the smokestack is a little too tall; I like the QM2 stack--its a little wider and the back slants more; the narrow upright smokestack looks more like those on Holland America and Costa ships. But this design is definitely more an oceanliner design than a floating hotel like a lot of non-Cunard ships. Very nice design.

^ Why thank you, I am attempting to create a modern ocean liner- which I feel QM2 comes very close to personifying.

The [I]Aquitania[/I] Class is to be the smaller, more cruising dedicated liners vs. my earlier [I]Mauretania[/I] Class of superliners; meaning they actually look like ships with all the modern amenities of a cruise ship, without being a box with a propeller attached..

Something else of note here, you may have noticed the [I]Aquitania [/I]class has the same two pod set and three bow thruster configuration of my earlier [I]Mauretania[/I] class. This is due to these new vessels being fully capable to stand in on the Transatlantic run, should the QM2 ever need to be taken out of service for whatever reason. They are configured as ocean liners, but are simply meant to be used more for cruising purposes, but still have the speed and strength of an Atlantic superliner. These speeds could also make for some more interesting and unique itineraries that would set these ships truly apart from their cruising competitors (such as the QM2's far Caribbean reach from NYC within the short time frame)...

[quote name='tntornadox']

[IMG]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7006/aquitaniaaz4.png[/IMG][/quote]
I like it. Thanks for keeping the four pods. I wonder if the safety-powers-that-be would accept having all lifeboats stored internally. The advantages would be more deck/window/balcony space and the ability to launch all boats on one side if need be; the disadvantage would an unconventional launching system.

^ Good Question. Hard to say, I know SOLAS bends regulations if it could possibly become a safety issue from time to time, but it must be serious in nature, such as how they allowed the QM2's lifeboats to be stored higher up to keep them from the menacing North Atlantic waves...

I have made some modifications to the previous design of the [I]Aquitania[/I].

1) Re-designed the funnel structure.
2) Adjusted windows.
3) Added windows along the lower Promenade deck underneath the lifeboats.
4) Added a Cunard house flag to the bow.

[IMG]http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2011/aquitaniamz9.png[/IMG]

Very nice! I like the more classic look you've gone back to for the ships.

I actually did a design myself and was going to post it when I saw this thread. It's more a mix of QM2 and QV rather than a new design. I hope you don't mind that I'm posting it here rather than starting a new thread.

I call it the Hybrid Class for two reasons...

She is more easily adapted to cruising than QM2, and she is more easily adapted to Atlantic runs than QV and could actually be used on a liner service.

I re-used Aquitania as the name, but just because she's one of my favorite Cunard ships.

The pic might be a little large to post (Not sure if it re-sized correctly), so I'll just post a direct link.

Keep in mind she's still lacking details like windows in the hull.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o29/marinearchit/MsAquitania.jpg

I didn't want to go with a rounded stern because it didn't fit the design, but I still don't like the look of it.

If you notice the area around the water line, I've incorporated the option for the largest watersports platform at sea. Rather than lowering down, it can be extended from/retracted into the stern. Once fully extened, passengers can acces it by large doors at the stern which open up.

That is definately a new design class- a hybrid for sure, as you call it. Your designs are more realistic than mine, I have been following your Princess designs closely, it really gave me the inspiration to begin the design process myself, even if it was only done in MS Paint...

I have wondered if a smaller, more cruiser type of ship would fit into the Cunard mold. I have my doubts, the company owned several of these ships over the past twenty years, none of which lasted in the fleet very long... but maybe a newbuild would?

Smaller, more intimate, wider range of itinararies... perhaps.

I think Cunard would probably be very successful with some smaller ships. Probably the size of the R Class ships or even Celebrity's Century class. With the industry taking such a hit at the moment, I doubt we'll see an announcement of a newbuild (Aside from QE) anytime soon. If we do, it'll probably follow along the lines of QV/Eurodam.

But, a lot of people probably would love a return to smaller, unique-to-Cunard ships. I think it'd be great if they had their three largest ships QM2, QV, and QE, and than a smaller class of ships all with the -ia names.

Hopefully they'll change designs after QE debuts. I actually like the look of the Vista/Spirit design, but I think it's just too over-used (If I'm correct, it's the 3rd most common ship design, right behind the Conquest and Grand classes)

Not to mention, smaller ships would allow Cunard to greatly increase their offering of itineraries and help diversify their passenger base. They could have a very big share of Alaska and the more exotic Caribbean itineraries if they dedicated ships to the areas year-round. Mainly because of the potential to get cruisers from Celebrity and HAL (Probably the most comparable lines for the medium and big-ship experience) and even Oceania and Azamara (Probably the most comparable for the small-ship experience). That doesn't include the Grills, which could easily dip into the true luxury passenger base.

Obviously, Cunard does this now with their current fleet, but I think they could perfect the experience on a few additional medium-sized ships. (Hope for the reincarnation of Mauretania and Aquitania.:D )

You have read my mind. Cunard could use its purse strings at Princess to open up some amazing Alaskan itenararies (which Princess dominates, I don't think anyone would disagree with this)...

I agree as well that Cunard needs to devote some vessels to the Caribbean.

If only we ran the company...

Princess definately does dominate the area. And, the nice thing is, Cunard and Princess could really co-exist in Alaska without canibalizing eachother's business.

Actually, now that I think about it, Cunard would probably also benefit from a ship dedicated to the rest of the Pacific area. Some time in Asia and Australia, and the rest of her time in the Mexican Riviera (Much more of a dream than the Caribbean and Alaska are)

I envision a QM2 superliner on the trans-pacific route... something even the old Cunard never did. With all of the economic growth in Asia, it would be profitable, I would think...

That would be awesome. Like LA-Hong Kong or something...

And to anyone else reading our little conversation of dreams and thinks 'Cunard isn't that large' that is true, just you wait, however. Carnival Corp saved HAL back in the 80s and it now has a large fleet, so I do not doubt they will do the same for Cunard, maybe even more so...

P.S.- do you have an IM? We could definately have some interesting conversations given how our interests collide... ship designs and such.

I have updated both of my liner designs with the black bands seen on the QM2.

This is also the first time both of my designs are seen together- so you can see the definite family resemblence between them, but the size difference is noticeable.

Mauretania Class:

mauretaniaxy5.png

Aquitania Class:

aquitaniang2.png

I have updated both of my liner designs with the black bands seen on the QM2.

This is also the first time both of my designs are seen together- so you can see the definite family resemblence between them, but the size difference is noticeable.

Well done, but unless you have a gigabuck of your own to contribute, neither will be built anytime soon.

I agree with your thoughts about a trans-Pacific route, but you and I may be the only two that do.

Archived