Was bored...

tntornadox

Yeah, I was just using it for the time being just for the historical feel to it, seeing as this ship is using the name of one of Cunard's most adored liners of yesteryear....

Nina, thanks for your drawings, I will try to get more deck plans done this weekend, next up will probably be ONLY Deck 3 (Promenade), seeing as it will be the biggest hurdle... All the other suggestions will be taken into advisement. Any more suggestions or alterations, please let me know!

I am just glad I have pleased everyone on the 'snooty' Cunard board... anyone who would call the people here 'snooty' simply do not know the joys of good company!

One last question- what is everyone's opinion on the Britannia being located at the stern? I would imagine having sea views and the wake behind the ship would be very nice... I will move Britannia if a majority of everyone wants it moved.

Also, I am using both QM2 and QV deck plans for inspiration, but am having some random spaces open up that would make great little lounges, bars, or shops, which there arent that many random spaces on the current vessels, so, could you all please maybe organize a very short list of some names for a few [U]new[/U] venues that I could use for the higher decks? It would be much appreciated, I like the input, seeing as this is the 'people's ship'! And for that reason, a few of you will be happy to know the [I]Mauretania[/I] will feature several single cabins throughout her decks!

Folks, may I present Deck 3, the Promenade Deck level, now complete.

Included on this deck (moving fore to aft):
1) Golden Lion Pub
2) Image Galleries
3) Small Lounge & Cafe
4) Grand Atrium
5) Many shops
6) Kings Court (utilizing and expanding upon Nina's drawing)

[IMG]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4056/deck3ml5.png[/IMG]

[quote name='tntornadox']Yeah, I was just using it for the time being just for the historical feel to it, seeing as this ship is using the name of one of Cunard's most adored liners of yesteryear....

Nina, thanks for your drawings, I will try to get more deck plans done this weekend, next up will probably be ONLY Deck 3 (Promenade), seeing as it will be the biggest hurdle... All the other suggestions will be taken into advisement. Any more suggestions or alterations, please let me know!

I am just glad I have pleased everyone on the 'snooty' Cunard board... anyone who would call the people here 'snooty' simply do not know the joys of good company!

One last question- what is everyone's opinion on the Britannia being located at the stern? I would imagine having sea views and the wake behind the ship would be very nice... I will move Britannia if a majority of everyone wants it moved.

Also, I am using both QM2 and QV deck plans for inspiration, but am having some random spaces open up that would make great little lounges, bars, or shops, which there arent that many random spaces on the current vessels, so, could you all please maybe organize a very short list of some names for a few [U]new[/U] venues that I could use for the higher decks? It would be much appreciated, I like the input, seeing as this is the 'people's ship'! And for that reason, a few of you will be happy to know the [I]Mauretania[/I] will feature several single cabins throughout her decks![/quote]

Sir,

Please don't spill the beans that those of us who love to sail with Cunard aren't "snooty". If you do then everyone will want to go! ;)

The idea of having the dining room at the stern for ocean views doesn't make any sense when you realise dinner is usually taken when it's dark. When we're on QM2 we've been in Queens Grill, at the stern, and you can't see the sea. Well, you can during the day but it's not something magnificent that you can't see from anywhere else. We've been on the Oceania Regatta where all the dining rooms are at the stern and you can't see any sea, either. So it's a non-point. So put the dining room where it would be appreciated, like mid-ships.

Sorry Folks, I forgot one of the largest features on this deck, dunno how they slid past my mind. It was past the edit time limit, so I will have to repost it. Bear in mind the windows inbedded into the hull on this deck..

Added: Promenade Pool (w/ Changing rooms)
[IMG]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2313/deck3df9.png[/IMG]

The HAL ships all have the main dining room at the stern. During the summer months when it is still daylight at dinnertime, if you are lucky enough to be near a window, it is lovely to have a view of the ocean & see the wake (Patwell's ribbon of lace) trailing into the distance. Quite romantic I would say & it adds a lot to the atmosphere. I would cast my vote for the dining 'room with a view'.:)

Let's not fail to improve the tendering capabilities of the RMS Fantasia (I don't object to your name, but mine is much more realistic until Cunard actually puts up the money to build her). The QM2 tenders have catamaran hulls. It shouldn't be all that hard to come up with some sort of nautical fork lift so that the tenders may embark and disembark their passengers well above the local waves and swell.

[quote name='bcscot']How about the 'Constantia'? I challenge anyone to identify her!:) [/quote]

Talking about the RMS Fantasia & fantasy names; the RMS Constantia was a fictional Cunard liner in the 1981 TV series of Evelyn Waugh's novel, 'Brideshead Revisited'. Jeremy Irons & Diana Quick met onboard, on a crossing from New York to Southampton,set during the 1930s. The outside shots were done onboard the QE2, mid-atlantic, during a storm.The inside filming was done in period hotels & a set.The scenes onboard QE2 come complete with 'Constantia' lifebelts.
The Constantia therefore, in a funny sort of a way, IS the QE2!

As far as I know, there was no Constantia, although I did not know about the Liberty ship.

[quote name='pb82']Of course, but not exclusively by the davits.[/quote]
Well lets get to my world then, the world of crazy of my ideas.

Tendering is a big issue all round. How about a jetway type contraption that links from ship to tender or a floating tender station linked by the jetway.

The jetway could be at the stern of the ship so would always in the shelter of the ship (a ship at anchor naturaly falls this way).

The idea of trying to retrieve and launch bobbing tenders is going to end up with a diaster sooner or later.

While I'm there, why not use hovercrafts to make the whole experience much quicker.

[quote name='Traveler Nina']OK, if I can figure out how to get this to post. I did a quick drawing of a possible grills area. I am neither a very good artist nor an architect but here it is anyway...I hope.. (the box by the galley is the funnel)

[ATTACH]69676[/ATTACH][/quote]

[quote name='Kindlychap']Didn't they try that once?

Matthew[/quote]
Some of us "hover" better than others! <LOL> :D

Dining rooms at the stern are fine in calm weather, but I defy even the most intrepid sailor to WANT to eat with vibration of the ship and its propulsion system magnified, and with the seats near the aft windows being rockier than a two legged stool. One evening, I lifted my glass of wine, only to have the wine continue upward while the glass returned to the table with a thud. Happy to feel the motion of the seas, but WILL NOT waste good wine!

I LOVE aft decks for that wonderful view of the wake, but, as others have mentioned, it's rarely on view in the diningroom.

But do carry on...

Andrew

[quote name='transat_jon']Well lets get to my world then, the world of crazy of my ideas.
[/quote]

Jon, from the Carnival board, our friends at Fincantieri our dreaming up some pretty wild ideas for their new "fun" ships. Warning, not for the squeamish. :eek:

[URL]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=BXb6pfAzqP4[/URL]

-Ken M

That ship makes QV look like a classic liner ;)

Apparently, that was an unintentionally leaked video, and is very hush hush.... we all know Carnival's future class of ships now though, and it will best RCI, finally... good for the sister line...

[quote name='tntornadox']Apparently, that was an unintentionally leaked video, and is very hush hush.... we all know Carnival's future class of ships now though, and it will best RCI, finally... good for the sister line...[/quote]

Others suggest it is for the now indefinitely postponed 'Pinnacle' class - Carnival don't currently think that much bigger ships than current make sense. Mickey Arison described RCL's Genesis class as RCL being in an arms race with itself.......I guess the main problem is getting that number of people on and off ship in ports - airline solutions is to use multiple gangways - two for a 747, 3 for a 380......even then thats a far from perfect solution as the class differentiation on a typical 747 means that 1/4 of the pax use one gangway, 3/4 the other.......

Peter

• 5 months later...
I just recently read the fascinating book [I]The Age of Cunard[/I] and really thought that Cunard is missing the required 'intermediate' class of ships that the line was always known for.

Modern times do not call for an 'intermediate' class per se, but indeed, a class of smaller vessels is required for cruising purposes, the bread and butter of the industry.

In this, I introduce the [I]Aquitania[/I]-Class of vessels. It is a smaller version of my previous [I]Mauretania[/I] Class mentioned earlier in great detail in this thread. Using much of the same hull form, she is built to handle just about anything mother nature could throw at her, while still being perfect for cruising. More open deck space is availabe for use by passengers aft of the funnel, which was also reduced slightly in size to free up more space.

Comments are always welcome! This ship still feels a little out of scale, but am interested in hearing your thoughts.

[IMG]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/9100/aquitaniapv7.png[/IMG]

Very interesting thread! Do you not think, though, that the less the (terrific) drawings look like "cruise ships", the more they begin to look like QE2? Surely the most beautiful ship ever built in the modern age? Why not another such, do we all want to travel like sardines, 3, 4, 5,000 of us bobbing about together? Not me! I don't understand this need for bigger and bigger ships, ugh. Give me QE2 any day!

I think we would all agree that the QE2 was (is) a great ship and is one of a kind. However, Carnival Corporation will take Cunard Line into the more mainstream of the industry within the next few years- more 'cruise ships' for sure, we would be LUCKY to see QM2's running mate come online as they have forecasted by 2020.

In other words, I am trying to be realistic about what we could see- less liner, more cruise ship dressed up as a liner...

P.S. I altered the windows and balconies somewhat, really brought the ship down to size. Perhaps the funnel is too tall, but she's beginning to take shape!

[IMG]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7006/aquitaniaaz4.png[/IMG]

Archived