HELP!!! Am I getting conned

slipslopslap

Hi,

We have booked a cruise on the Mercury and was given guaranteed 2A Penthouse deck, however, after reading this site and viewing the photos online, we were worried that only the two of us might be made to feel a little claustrophobic sharing a double bed in the back half of the F/O aft cabins on Mercury if that was what we were allocated.

However, when we have checked the deck plans they are showing a totally different layout from the end of March 2008 than that shown for our cruise. We cannot see a period where this particular ship will be offline for any refits and we are wandering whether these particular cabins have already been been refitted to accommodate only two people as opposed to two rooms accommodating four or five people.

We voiced our concerns about the possibility of feeling claustrophobic sharing a double bed surrounded on three sides when only two of us are sharing the cabin. The next thing we know is we have been moved to Vista deck and a basic Premium Ocean View room.

If the cabin layout on Penthouse for the F/O has been changed already we would have preferred to remain on Penthouse deck and experience an aft cabin watching the wake which seems to be a preferred location for many on this site, however, an answer to our query has never been forthcoming. Has anyone recently accommodated these cabins or can anyone offer information in light of this?

???

I look forward to your responses.

The aft FOs were remodeled last April and they do have the double bed surrounded on three sides but they also have a twin that can be made up in the divided sitting area. You could each have your own bed. These cabins also have balconies now. It seems they are just getting around to putting the correct configuration on the website.

One thing to be aware of is that these cabins have a great deal of vibration when coming into or leaving port. You may be awakened early in the morning.

Hi,

We have booked a cruise on the Mercury and was given guaranteed 2A Penthouse deck, however, after reading this site and viewing the photos online, we were worried that only the two of us might be made to feel a little claustrophobic sharing a double bed in the back half of the F/O aft cabins on Mercury if that was what we were allocated.

However, when we have checked the deck plans they are showing a totally different layout from the end of March 2008 than that shown for our cruise. We cannot see a period where this particular ship will be offline for any refits and we are wandering whether these particular cabins have already been been refitted to accommodate only two people as opposed to two rooms accommodating four or five people.

We voiced our concerns about the possibility of feeling claustrophobic sharing a double bed surrounded on three sides when only two of us are sharing the cabin. The next thing we know is we have been moved to Vista deck and a basic Premium Ocean View room.

If the cabin layout on Penthouse for the F/O has been changed already we would have preferred to remain on Penthouse deck and experience an aft cabin watching the wake which seems to be a preferred location for many on this site, however, an answer to our query has never been forthcoming. Has anyone recently accommodated these cabins or can anyone offer information in light of this?

???

I look forward to your responses.

You asked about these cabins in an earlier post and someone referred you to another post Mercury Cabin 1152 – advice please. This post is now on page 5.

I booked in July 2007 for a Feb 2009 cruise just to make sure I got this cabin as I had read so many good things about it. I read a bad report recently which gave me slight cause for concern but the responses from people who had recently stayed in this cabin quickly re-assured me that I had made a good choice.

These aft cabins and balconies are 22% larger than other balcony cabins and they sleep up to 5 people. One double bed (which is surrounded on 3 sides by a wall) in one part of the cabin and a pull out double bed and a pull down single bed in the sitting area.

I understand these cabins are very sought after as they offer more space for the same money as well as a wonderful position to watch the wake of the ship.

What might be great for some could be a problem for others - you have to decide what you want from the cabin.

Good luck

The questions I have for the OP was the kind of guarantee that was booked. Was it a 2A guarantee and you were assigned a 2A on the Penthouse deck? A guaranteed cabin of any sort and you got a 2A? And did you deal with a travel agent? With any guarantee, you are at the mercy of the cruiseline as to which cabin you are assigned. The 2A's on the Vista deck would meet a 2A guarantee qualification (Premium Ocean View) You also paid a lower price for a guarantee. At this point in time the Sunset Veranda cabins (2A afts on the old deck plan) are most likely now assigned and getting the one you had on the Penthouse deck might be difficult. Likewise, you are into the penalty phase if you cancel. If you dealt with a TA, they should have been aware of the cabin configuration and given advice about the cabin and its features. However you are booked on a cruise with a cabin and veranda. Don't fret the small stuff. Enjoy!:)

We booked on Celebrity's web site and are dealing with their Australian Rep. We had an inside booked and kept checking for a balcony to become available and upgrade to. It did and it was classed as 2A - Deluxe Ocean Veiw, Penthouse Deck. We held it and called the agent, she was a little confused as her system said it was a Deluxe Ocean Veiw, she checked and got back to us to say yes its a 2A so you have reserved a balcony. Later when we looked at the deck plan on line the only cabins on penthouse that were graded 2A didn't have a balcony, these were the Aft cabins. We later learnt from you guys that these cabins had, had balcony's added last April. We hadn't actually been assigned one of these cabins, we were only assuming this was what we had as our Printable Summery said Delux Ocean View Our Invoice from the Rep says GTY Categ. 2A and our Express Pass for boarding from Celebrity says Guarantee-Penthouse Deck. I have been trying to learn about the 4, Aft cabins on Penthouse as these from what I can see are the only 2As on that deck. I was a lttle worried about the configuration of two rooms and being in a double bed surrounded on three sides, so we asked the rep about the config. of these rooms in case we got one. We were told we don't know yet what room you'll get and I just need to wait. We have now received a cabin number and it is for Vista Deck a 2A balcony and we were just getting used to the idea of one of these large aft cabins or even one of the cc cabins on Penthouse that I beleive have a slightly larger balcony than standard.

Also from what I can gather these cabins may have been changed already and are no longer in two rooms which would have been perfect for us as we would have loved to watch the wake from our balcony. On Celebrity's web site these cabins change grade from the 29th March 2008 and become SV Pemium Ocien View see at the link.

So OP after all that...what is it that you think you want to do? What cabin do you want to take that would make you feel comfortable?

That's really all that matters.

Yes your right and regardless of cabins as long as I have the fresh air from a balcony I know we will have a fabulous cruise and enjoy ourselves but, I'm the same as most people I suppose, none of us like to feel we've had something that was paid for and guaranteed taken away and end up with less. Also should I find once on board that these cabins have been changed and are only one room, (as I know I'll go and take a look as soon as we get on board). I know I will feel cheated. Anyway I'd rather know now then I can do something about it, therefore, I'm talking to you guys who I'm sure have had more experience than I. Firstly I'd like to find out for sure whether these cabins have been changed yet and secondly any experiences anybody else has had in this situation and how they dealt with them.:confused:

Archived