small vs large

big4buck

Are there any new ships out there that smaller than these mega ships.I know some of these lines have older smaller ships,but from the reviews I have read,they are quite in need of repair.I'm looking for a ship of 1000 or fewer passengers that is relatively new.Advise,thanks!

Are there any new ships out there that smaller than these mega ships.I know some of these lines have older smaller ships,but from the reviews I have read,they are quite in need of repair.I'm looking for a ship of 1000 or fewer passengers that is relatively new.Advise,thanks!

I am not sure which ship reviews you have read but Azamara's Quest or Journey or Holland America's Prinsendam might fit what you are looking for. They are not new ships but have had extensive refurbishments and are owned by premium cruise line companies. More expensive Seabourn or SilverSea lines might also be what you are looking for.

All the ships of Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Sea Dream, and Regent have ships with less than 1000 passengers. Just know, that most ships of that size have very little in terms of activities or entertainment, with the exception of Crystal. You give up a few things with smaller ships.

My first cruise was on the dolphin cruise line,dolphin4.Being a first time cruiser I was impressed to say the least.Then I sailed on the seabreeze and was also impressed with the food and entertainment.I wound up sailing with dolphin 4 different times and never had a bad experience.Since then I have been on celebrity and carnival a few times.The mega ships are awesome to say the least.However,the smaller ships gave more detail to service.I know the ratio to crew/passenger is better on the smaller ships.However,after reading reviews about the the old dolphin cruise line and some other (refurbished)ships,I'm a little nervous about going on an older vessel.I will look into some of the other smaller ships you people mentioned.Thankyou.PS:I cannot get over the negitive reviews dolphin has received since I sailed on that line.Either I had my head in a cloud or the line went downhill fast.I've been on 8 cruises and I still rate dolphin right up there with the rest as far as cutomer satisfaction.Goes to show you what can happen when you let your guard down I guess.

The Noordam is a great suggestion and one of the only new builds by any cruise line that is not a behemoth. I sailed on her and very much enjoyed it. The new Eurodam will be almost the same size.

kitty9 is correct about the luxury lines having smaller ships. Yes, you do give up some things (like lines, nickel and diming, etc.) but for us, what one gains is so much more:).

...you need to be a bit more specific, which "old" ships were in such poor and neglected condition? The ships of the lines already suggested to you are among some of the best maintained in the industry...

I'm just refering to what I have read in some of the reviews on this site.Seems that the smaller ships that celebrity had were in pretty rough shape.I will check into some of the other ones that are recommended now.Thankyou.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,anybody out there remember it.Being a novice,I was blown away by it.I know now it doesn't compare to the mega ships but I was impressed by the way they took care of you on food,service etc.I know they no longer are in business.I sailed back in the mid 80's on her ships.Sounds like towards the end the food and service went in the toilet.But I still have those memories of how it use to be.Anyone out there with anything positive to say about Dolphin.I've seen the bad comments.Talk to me!:)

I am going to be sailing on the Tahitian Princess the end of May to Alaska. 670 pax. Has anyone had experience sailing her? I have always been on the bigger ships. I hope everyone onboard doesn't go to bed at 10:00pm.

Irish

I am going to be sailing on the Tahitian Princess the end of May to Alaska. 670 pax. Has anyone had experience sailing her? I have always been on the bigger ships. I hope everyone onboard doesn't go to bed at 10:00pm.

Irish

We were on the Tahitian about 18 month ago and loved her. Their were a lot of people up past 10pm. We had newlyweds to senor citizens with us.

Archived