Kids on Formal Night

cruisinmama2

I have never cruised so I hope this doesn't sound dumb or if I am posting in the wrong area. We will be on RC Navigator of the Seas over spring break. 5 day cruise, one formal night. Do the kids dress up also.... what exactly do you do on formal night other than eat and get a picture taken? I don't know if I should spend the money on getting them a suit and a gown (daughter and son) if they would rather be doing something else. Also, do most kids dress for formal night? Or are they busy doing other things on the ship? If they do go, does my 15 year old son have to wear a coat and tie? (Gosh he'll just love that, can't wait to hear all the complaining)... I am at a loss.... thanks!

;) You didn't say how old your daughter was but I am going to assume they are both teensages or close to it since your son is 15.

In answer to your question, yes, kids dress too. It is a nice time to get a family picture IF you think they will enjoy it (but your son sounds like a typical teenager;) )

HOWEVER, why not give them the choice of going to formal dinner or not? If they chose not to go you will have a nice dinner for yourself without the "looks" from unhappy teens who would rather be anywhere else. Of course, your conversation will probably center around them anyway:p

If they do decide to dress, keep it simple, dark slacks, long sleeve shirt and tie him, nice long skirt and top for her. That way they can wear the clothes more than one time. Also, kids love to shop at the thrift stores now so that could be an option.

One thing I know for sure is you HAVE to wear clothes to the dining room. ;) Other than that, it seems, especially on shorter cruises anything goes.l

You're right, you eat and have pictures taken on formal night. The suggested guidelines are just that, suggested. It is up to you if you want your kids to honor the guidelines set forth by the cruiseline.

When we cruised my kids came to formal night and dressed accordingly as did most children we saw in the dining room. I didn't hear any complaints about attire but that's because they've always dressed for the occasion. They've been to formal events in the past and we dine out at fine restaurants often. It's just our lifestyle. I do understand for kids who aren't accustomed to doing that, that dressing up could be an issue. It's out of their comfort zone. Your kids can do something else if they don't want to dress up and would prefer not being in a formal setting. One night my kids opted for Johnny Rockets and the kids club while we went to Portofino. It was a nice change of pace for everyone.

Enjoy

On my last cruise I always saw this 4, 5 yr. old little girl dressed up in a princess gown on each formal night and it always matched her mom's dress. She didn't look too happy about it.

Maybe her mom had bad taste?:D

I'm surprised. My 5 year old niece loves to dress up and prance around.

To the OP, a short cruise on RCI will have a wide range of attire on formal nights. If your daughter wants to dress up, consignment shops and ebay are great options for bargains on these types of clothes. There are also great buys for boys of 15.

If you prefer to avoid formal night altogether, the Windjammer buffet is always available.

Have fun!

Thank you all.. I appreciate the input. my daughter is 10... and she LOVES dressing up... she would dress in a ball gown every night if I gave her the option. :-) I think I will just take the tie and shirt/slacks for my son... Really... he will not be pleased wearing a jacket, although he will if I make him. This is a kid who prefers to live in Nike or Led Zeppelin T-shirts 24/7. i already have a dress for my daughter that we got at Limited Too (she is wearing it to the Daddy Daughter Dance at school tonight...) but if I got her that princess gown earlier in this thread, no doubt she would wear it to the pool. Thanks all!

Thank you all.. I appreciate the input. my daughter is 10... and she LOVES dressing up... she would dress in a ball gown every night if I gave her the option. :-) I think I will just take the tie and shirt/slacks for my son... Really... he will not be pleased wearing a jacket, although he will if I make him. This is a kid who prefers to live in Nike or Led Zeppelin T-shirts 24/7. i already have a dress for my daughter that we got at Limited Too (she is wearing it to the Daddy Daughter Dance at school tonight...) but if I got her that princess gown earlier in this thread, no doubt she would wear it to the pool. Thanks all!

I have a 9 y.o. girl who loves dressing up- I have bought her some fancy dresses on the clearance rack at Macy's and TJ Maxx. I have two 17 y.o.'s cruising with us SOON. I have rented them both tuxes and normally they live in baggy jeans, sneakers and rock band t shirts but they are extremely excited to look like James Bond for two nights on the ship! When we cruised the NCL Dream they wore sports jackets, dress pants and ties for "optional dress up night". Tuxes are certainly not required but when they saw how handsome they look in them they were very glad to wear them.

I agree with the poster who suggested eating at the buffet on formal nights if the kids don't want to dress up. Why make anyone unhappy on his/her vacation?

LOL about DD and the princess dress by the pool. My 9 y.o. came down dressed for Ash Wednesday Mass like she was going to the prom, complete with long white gloves, pearls and rhinestone pins. No Mountain Goats tshirts for her!

Barb

My DS17 also lives in jeans and t-shirts but loves to dress in his tuxedo.

I got it off ebay for $25. The tux jacket is a duster which is a little longer and just a bit different. He even got a purple and black bow tie to be a little different.

He has worn it several times and will wear it to the prom this year so it has more than paid for itself.

While he didn't stay in it too long he looked so handsome.

You might even want to check the local thrift store for a jacket.

Denise

Archived